Reload this Page >

in-room coffee in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:20 PM
chris

I have not seen any references in these posts to European and British hotels standard amenities such as in-room coffee machines. Are these just American standards?<BR>I find it difficult to get out of the room in the morning without my tea or coffee. In the US I travel with a small plug-in kettle and make my own. Obviously I don't want to hassle with such in Europe. We will be staying in 3- and 4-star hotels and I wonder if they offer such?

Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:44 PM
alison

I think the in-room coffee maker is an American amenity. However, a 4 star hotel would more likely offer coffee makers. I seriously doubt a 3 star hotel would have that amenity.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 10:25 PM
chris

Thanks Alison.<BR><BR>I'm mainly addicted to my tea. I guess I'll have to stagger down to the lobby or out to a cafe. Little water-heaters are small, but then I'd have to do the whole outlet conversion thing. Maybe they have small appliances I could purchase there?

Old May 23rd, 2002, 12:21 AM
Mel

Hi Chris,<BR><BR>Most British hotels will have a kettle and instant coffee / tea bags & biscuits in the room. Continental European hotels don't seem to go in for this as much though.<BR><BR>Mel.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 12:42 AM
brownie

I think most places do offer breakfast in the price if not, it's offered at a nominal rate. I guess that is the expectation. I have found coffee making facilities in places where they don't offer breakfast but I don't know if this is the norm. <BR><BR>

Old May 23rd, 2002, 01:38 AM
demi

I can hardly remember a hotel or B and B room in the UK that doesn't have an electric kettle and coffee and tea available. However I don't ever remember seeing it in any other country!

Old May 23rd, 2002, 04:29 AM
kate

You will find coffee (instant) and tea making facilities in even the most basic B&Bs in the UK. It is one of the things that get them an extra star in their rating. You can imagine how the British like to relax in their room with a cup of tea.<BR><BR>You won't find it in mainland Europe. In the past I've taken my own travel kettle to use in the room.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 04:52 AM
MHS

Chris, I'm with you entirely -- "need" that 1st cup of coffee before hitting the shower. And we don't bother with bringing pot, etc. to Europe.<BR> Generally, if breakfast is part of the package, DH throws on shirt & dockers plus shoes, heads down to the caf & brings back 2 cups for us to have before our "official" appearance. If none is included, he has slipped out to the corner cafe and done the same (you can get coffee to go most anywhere). This is common practice for us in NYC. The last-ditch-fall back is having glass of juice, buying a small bottle at convenience store during the prior day's sight-seeing. <BR><BR>Your question brings back some great memories. The utmost luxury (outside of the cruise setting) was our first Paris visit: the hotel offered continental breakfast served to you in the room as an alternative to the caf. Heavenly!

Old May 23rd, 2002, 11:29 PM
chris

Thanks to all for replies. I was born in England which explains my tea-dependency so it is interesting that the British hotels provide provisions while the "continent" does not. Oh, well, I'm sure I'll survive. Chris

Old May 24th, 2002, 04:10 AM
Harriett

Honestly, this is one of the reasons that we prefer renting apartments or B&Bs when we travel -- I just HATE having to get up, get dressed and go somewhere to get a cup of coffee, and love having the coffee- or tea-making equipment at hand so we can get moving gradually and listen to the sounds of the world going by outside.

Old May 24th, 2002, 09:11 PM
chris

Harriet, I totally agree. This trip, however is a school-sponsored educational tour that I am going on with my son and his French class. Next time I do Europe on my own terms, I will definitely look into an apartment or other rental. Do you have any agencies that you prefer? A friend of mine used one that rents apartments in Paris and London but I can't remember the name. Are the apartments usually clean and homey? I'm glad to hear someone else has the same sensibilities. I felt like a whiner. Thanks, Chris

Old May 24th, 2002, 09:49 PM
Leslie

Why don't you just buy one of those heating elements that Magellan sells, with an adaptor and bring a mug, some teabags, instant coffee, dry creamer, sugar, saccharine, etc. and make your cup in the morning? Most of this stuff comes in packets anyway, and at most could only weigh a few ounces in a Ziploc bag. The heating element only costs a few dollars. It only takes a couple of minutes to heat up a cup of water.

Old May 24th, 2002, 10:15 PM
Sue

Chris, on my April visit to Paris, I discovered my hotel was willing to send only coffee to my room (not breakfast) at a greatly reduced price (3 euro instead of 10 for the breakfast). You might try that. Or try sending son down for a cuppa. It never hurts to ask.