Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can anyone seriously tell me that they don't get tired of the hard rolls and cofeee European breakfasts?

Search

Can anyone seriously tell me that they don't get tired of the hard rolls and cofeee European breakfasts?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 07:57 AM
Randy

After two weeks in Europe I am so tired of the famous "CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST" so popular in European hotels! How many times can I eat hard rolls and coffee? !!<BR><BR>I miss the varied American breakfast! Hot ceral, cold ceral, pancakes, waffles, french toast, COLD yogart, pop tarts------

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Sherry

Hi Randy. Recently in Rome, I was surprised at the assortment at the breakfast table. I did just expect the Continental breakfast. But the funny thing was that the rolls were still hard! The rest of the offerings were not bad, though.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Russ

You must be eating breakfast in France. Big mistake. I got pretty tired of the lack of options there too. But even very simple B&B places in Germany will make sure you get an egg, some yogurt, some muesli, some o.j., or some corn flakes in addition to their scrumptious, crusty white rolls, and lots of hotels there have breakfast buffets. England's fried breakfast is a feast.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:09 AM
elvira

If I were a big breakfast eater, I'm sure the morning food in Europe wouldn't be enough (except for those famous Irish breakfasts). Fortunately, I pretty much have coffee and a nosh for breakfast at home which isn't much different than what I have in Europe. <BR><BR>If you want the American-style breakfast, you can find it in hotels that have a big tourist trade from the U.S. Ask your travel agent for suggestions; if you book a tour through a tour company like Thomas Cook or the like, you'll be booked into those hotels automatically.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Christina

You are probably staying in cheap hotels, I would guess. I also think this may not be a serious post (pop tarts is the giveaway).. do you really eat all that stuff for breakfast? Well, I don't eat much breakfast, so coffee is fine with me, along with a croissant or piece of toast. <BR><BR>However, even in French hotels, I have not been served only hard rolls for breakfast, so that's why I think you are staying in cheap places. The continental breakfasts I have had in French hotels had bread products, including baguette, but also croissants and a few other things. In other countries (and in France), many hotels had more than just that, including cereal and fruit, in particular. I don't care for that N. European lunch meat and cheese menu for breakfast, but that seems common in central European countries above Italy.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:13 AM
denise

from a brit - I cant STAND continental breakfasts either! yukky. You ought to try good ole 'full english breakfast'when in uk - similar to american brekky but without the waffles and pancakes! boy! you do like your breakfasts - Ive been to USA loads and love em but come back 14 pounds heavier

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:16 AM
European

I have never seen very special breakfasts in US hotels, I like European breakfast and I certainly prefer our real "hard" bread and rolls than the artificial white "bread"/"rolls" that you get in the US. Apart from that there is much more offered in European breakfast. But well, two weeks without your favourite breakfast can not be that hard.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:22 AM
nice

I have never had a continental breakfast consisting of a hard roll in Europe. Granted, we have had difficulty finding much of a substantial breakfastin France, but there were decent pastries, particularly croissants, available. Many of the hotels (in Germany, in Belgium and the Netherlands) in which we have stayed offered a substantial breakfast as part of the price. Some places offered a substantial breakfast as an additional cost.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:31 AM
StCirq

Yes, I can seriously tell you I don't get tired of Continental breakfasts - except I've rarely been offered a hard roll. It's my kind of breakfast, and even when I'm not in Europe, it's what I eat.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Jean-Pierre

Does anyone know where to find good bread in the USA??? That sliced white "bread" is absolutely disgusting. What the Americans call French, Italian bread, etc, is nothing more than hot-dog rolls sold in "blobs".<BR><BR>

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Red

I absolutely love those hard rolls and dream about those breakfasts. I can't find the hard rolls here in the US and have to settle for bagettes. I especially loved the lavish buffets in Italy in our hotels. I cried one day when we overslept and missed it. In Stockholm, the breakfast buffet was lined with variations of smoked salmon and wonderful cheeses.<BR><BR>Why do these posts always appear after I've choked down my egg-beaters omelette?

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Lee

Most of the breakfasts I've had in Europe were quite good. They were usually buffet type breakfasts where there were several types of rolls (hard and soft) and fruit. I've also had cereal - usually corn flakes. I've stayed mostly in non-chain type hotels except in Prague and Budapest where they had huge buffets. As for the type of hotels, they were usually moderately priced places except for one on the Ile Saint Louis. In one hotel in Paris - a more inexpensive variety - they had lovely pain au chocolat along with wonderful croissants and fruit. The dining room was charmless but the food was lovely.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Monica

John-Pierre: For decent bread in the US you should try a gourmet grocery store or a bakery. Prepackaged bread (except for a few brands) is usually pretty yucky but here in California several stores (like Trader Joe's) sell many types of bread, one of which you are sure to like.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Breakfast Eater

I'll take the European breakfast of hard rolls, smoked salmon and hams, salamis, cheese, real yogurt with real museli and fresh fruit anyday over the yukky American continental breakfast of bulk bins full of runny scrambled eggs, Wonder Bread toast, dry danish and stale bagels.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:27 AM
John Burkus

Hi: If its breakfasts that you are keen about visit the orient,say,Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong or Bali. I have never experieinced breakfasts like these. Almost every decent hotel had a buffet choice that made eating twice a day about all that one could tolerate.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Janda

Where we have been in Italy and France we always stay where breakfast buffet is included. I guess we have been lucky because I havent seen the rolls you are talking about. We have had yogurt, croissants, fruit, eggs, cereal, ham, and a variety of breads that have been fresh and very good.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:46 AM
JB

Randy,<BR><BR>I actually LOVE continental breakfast - although I rarely have seen a hard roll. I've received croissants or delicious baked rolls with marmelade and the delicious French butter which is AMAZING! Add a big Cafe au Lait and I am in heaven.<BR><BR>Don't get me wrong, I love American eggs, bacon and rye toast (hate the wonder bread thing), but I don't mind the European style foods.<BR><BR>To you Europeans eating in the US - when you order breakfast here, specify that you do not want white bread - get wheat (not much better) or rye (in my eyes the best). And avoid breakfast "bars." They are gross. Go to an old fashioned Diner instead. Usually you can get a great breakfast there for less money too!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 10:05 AM
JOdy

Personally I prefer the European breakfast, the hotels we've stayed at always have offered several kinds of breads and rolls, croissants, cornetti, along with various cheeses and meats, jams , juices, cold cereal and usually boiled eggs. <BR><BR>I'm not a big sweet eater so I don't ever miss pancakes, waffles or french toast...and I'd rather save my egg allowance for a wonderful omelet later in the day!<BR><BR>we have several artisanal bakeries even here in the med size southern city I live in..even costco here does a wonderful heavy , crusty pane bigio. But no one seems to be able to get a true French baguette properly made..they are always too big here!!<BR><BR>it's too bad American restaurants and hotels only offer commercially made white , wheat or rye gumball bread! Makes one long for a nice slice of English granary toast!!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Bob Brown

Saying European breakfast indicates to me that the author, Randy, is generalizing the term Europe. In Austria and Germany at every hotel I have used to date the breakfasts were absolutely fantastic.<BR>The Astoria in Munich, the Golden Duck and Sallerhof in Salzburg, the Altwienerhof and Carlton Opera in Vienna all had breakfasts I found hard to believe from the viewpoint of outstanding variety, quantity, and quality. There were rolls, buns, jams, jellies, butter, cheeses, meats, pastries, eggs, fruits, berries, jogurt, cereals, juices, teas, and coffee. <BR>There were at least 6 cheeses, 3 or 4 meats, a selecton of tea blends, 5 or 6 cereals (none of which were corn flakes), and various fruits including kiwis, strawberries, bannanas, apples, oranges, <BR>American breakfasts are poor trash in comparison. In fact, most American food is trash in comparison with European food. Huge, tasteless portions full of fat are the norm. Quantity certainly reigns over quantity. <BR><BR>And right on with the bread critique. I find it hard to face American bread after a trip to Europe. The stuff is tasteless and of poor quality.<BR><BR>As for France, the solution is easy.<BR>Go to a bakery and load up on goodies.<BR>If you keep eating toasted cannon balls for bread, its your choice, and your problem. <BR><BR>I will be in Paris soon. La Brioche Doree here I come, as well as that little bakery with the friendly lady across Blvd Raspail from my hotel. <BR>Best pinwheel cinnamon buns I ever ate.<BR>I resolved to walk to the Luxumbourg Gardens to eat them. I got there, but the bun was no longer outside. One bite and it quickly disappeared. Then I had a problem. Go back for another one? Do without? Or find a substitute?<BR>Guess what I did?? I found a substitute, which made it intact to a garden bench. The next morning I got 2 of those delicious things. One bun it with me in the wrapper all the way to the park, which was something of a record. <BR>

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 10:23 AM
bobbie

I'm not much of a breakfast person except for strong coffee, but the breakfast we were served in Istanbul was altogether different and a refreshing change: tomato wedges, cucumber slices, olives, feta cheese, and thick yogurt, served on the rooftop overlooking the Blue Mosque, quite a different experience!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -