Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

In Rome, for which sites should we have guided tours?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in Italy, including 4 days in Rome, in the hot, second half of August. We are three adult women, traveling with almost-grown "children" ages 15 and 20. At a bare minimum, we hope to see the Vatican, the Colosseum and Forum, and the Catacombs.

Although we assume that it makes sense to book a guided tour for the Vatican, how necessary is it to have a guided tour for the other locations? I'm particularly curious about the Colosseum, and wonder if people who have seen it with vs without a guide had a very different experience.

Of course, recommendations re specific guided tour agencies are always welcome (and available on this and other travel review websites) but I'm principally looking for help with making a decision about booking a guided tour at all for any location other than the Vatican.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 12:55 PM

I can't see the point of getting a guide to the Vatican Museums (which is what I assumne you mean) They're enormous and a guide is going to show you what s/he thinks is worthwhile

The only thing you can say for certain is that their choice won't be yours. Get a decent guide book (the Blue Guide to Rome) and choose for yourself beforehand

It's decades since I went round the Forum - but unless you're used to classical ruins, a guide really, really helps here. All a guide adds to the Colosseum as far as I've seen are a few dubiously accurate anecdotes (I was taken round first by an Oxford lecturer in classics and later alone with a guide book. The guide book won hands down) - again you'll get better from a guidebook.

You can't, as far as I'm aware, visit any catacomb except on the tour the Vatican provides at each catacomb. Unless you're visiting several in a day (and unless you're near-obsessive about early Christian history, or have particular devotion to several of the saints buried in them, I can't see the point), you don't need a different guide
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 01:05 PM
J62

I agree with flanneruk

1. Forum - guide very helpful to distinguish one pile of rocks or old columns from another. We used Icon tours a few years ago and were very happy. Book the early morning tour as it'll be terribly hot in the afternoon. If you're really into archeology then a there are other co's that offer more in depth insight, but the 3hrs with Icon was perfect for me and the family, especially in the summer heat.

2. Colosseum - may be part of a package deal w/ Forum. Guide not needed. You don't visit any secret areas. It's an arena and pretty self explanatory what you're seeing.

3. Vatican Museum - guide not needed. They can't 'guide' while in the Sistine Chapel anyway so they tell you about it in a big, open courtyard before you get there. An organized tour may be helpful to avoid the lines. You can apparently book tours directly with the vatican website.

4. St. Peter's - guide not needed. Big crowds in there, so a small group of 4 is more agile anyway.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 03:11 PM

We just got back from a family trip with 4 20 somethings and my parents this June. We used a guide for the Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel and St. Peters. Our guide did go into the Sistine Chapel with us and explain things about the paintings/artists. Having a guide there was (obviously) extremely helpful. The guided Scavi tour was also very very interesting - I highly recommend it.

I could see how a guide would be helpful at the Forum - I used a book and acted as the "tour guide" for the family following a preset walk and reading off the entries at each spot. Definitely don't need one for the Colosseum.

By the way, we used "Eternal City Tours" - http://www.theeternalcitytours.com/e.../jun302009.htm. There's a link to our picture! Good luck!
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 03:27 PM

I can't help you with the guided tours, but there are catacombs you can visit aside from the one at the Vatican.

Appia Antica: http://www.catacombe.roma.it/

It looks like they have their own guides there that take you and it's included in the price:

http://www.catacombe.roma.it/en/info.html
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 03:32 PM

When I was in Rome June 2009, I went on 4 tours:

1. Rome Night Tour
2. Vatican Museum Tour
3. Scavi Tour
4. Colosseum Tour

Bear in mind that I did not have a guide book b/c I booked my trip later and the book did not come in time.

If I have to do it all over again (or for my Summer 2010 European Tour) I am not going to hire a guide anymore. I have ordered my books and they are slowly arriving. Get the tour books that have those "Do it yourself self guided tours" sections.

The only exception would be the Scavi Tour. You need a guide to see the place. Some do not think the Scavi Tour is worthwhile, I thought it was as it gives you an idea on how deep (depth) ancient Rome used to be, the conflicts, etc.

Sometimes, you find additional information of certain historical sites on the internet. Read them, and if you like them, print them out and include them in the folder you bring to Rome
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 03:34 PM

Forgot to mention, I also got an audioguide for the Forum/Palatine Hill.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 03:50 PM

OK, playing devil's advocate here. I have been to the Colosseum with and without a guide and I felt I get a lot more out of my visit the last time when I went with a guide. We signed up for the guided tour the Colosseum offers (from the ticket office inside -- not one of the guides outside.) My husband and I were visiting with our children (ages 11 and 14 at the time) and we all enjoyed the tour. My husband and I had each visited the Colosseum before (and just toured it ourselves) but both felt we enjoyed the guided tour route more.

We also really enjoyed the Scavi guided tour.

We visited the Vatican museum, St. Peter's Church and the Forum with just a good guidebook which seemed fine. I don't know if we would have enjoyed these sites more had we gone with a guide.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 05:06 PM

Depends on how much work you want to do beforehand, your current level of knowledge and your imagination. We found the forum fascinating just touring with a good guide book - but if you need someone to explain to you the Vestal Virgins, the roman Senate, how the political and social systems worked and how people lived (apartment houses, indoor plumbing, public baths etc) then a guide for the Forum would be helpful. But make sure you get a quality guide - the basic tour guides give you no more than reading a basic book. Make sure they truly know the subject and provide in-depth information.

for other sights a guide is useless.

On place you should not miss is San Clemente - walking down through the centuries from the current church to the early Christian church to the Temple of Mithras at the bottom is truly a unique experience.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 02:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi folks,

reviving this thread as DH and I are a little at odds over booking a tour of the forum etc. for our trip in Feb this year.

I would like to book it up now with a group like Context, he wants to wait til we get there.

How easy is it to organise a tour once you're there? he makes the point that it'll be no fun trapsing round the forum in the wet. I make the point that it may rain the entire week or not at all and we'll just have to put up with it.

What we ARE agreed about is that it would be a good idea to have a guide for the forum - when we went for the first time 4 years ago it just seemed like a heap [or several heaps] of random stones.

any ideas?
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 08:01 PM

If you want to go with Context, you may have trouble booking when you get there. They take only a very small number of people - 6 per tour I think is the maximum - and they don't hold the tour at all unless at least four people sign up. We did three tours with Context in late October. Until the last minute, it appeared that two of the tours weren't going to "make". We found out only the day before we left that 2 other people had signed up and that we would have our tours. The three tours we did were the Underground tour, the Ostia Antica tour, and the evening Passigiata (sp?). We did the Passigiata tour our first night, and it kept us awake and moving which helped with the jet lag. Also, it was a nice introduction to the city. We did not use a guide for the Colosseum but were perfectly happy using Rick Steves' IPOD tour downloaded free from his website. We brought a splitter for the IPOD that allowed two of us to listen at the same time. I think a guide would have been helpful at the Capitoline Hill. Finally, my personal opinion is that sometimes it is just a relief to have a guide because no one has to do the work of constantly consulting the guidebook, and teens sometimes are more engaged if they have someone to listen to. Of course, there are many ways to do it - and you will have a great time regardless.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 01:13 AM

WE took tours of the Vatican museum and the Colosseum - both just picked up a tour guide outside. In the colosseum it made a tremendous difference - but we were able to double back and do our own wandering as well after the tour finished, so best of both worlds.

The colosseum tour was fairly interesting but not necessary - the main attraction was that for a few euros it got us straight in past a rather long queue!
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 05:58 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Most sites have audio guides you can rent if you don't want to take a tour. You can also download audio guides from Itunes for Rick Steves walking tours for free. Rick also provides a numbered map to print of the site. If you don't have an Ipod, he has them on his website for MP3 with the maps.
http://www.ricksteves.com/news/trave..._downloads.htm
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 06:49 AM

You can also skip the line at the colosseum with a Roma Pass.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 08:53 AM

Bookmarking
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 09:14 AM

Hi annhig, I think if you are going to do a tour with Context, it is best to book in advance. I believe they require a minimum number of participants in order to hold their tours. I took my mom on one of their Underground Rome tours and we enjoyed it immensely.

On the other hand, with a proper written guide, you can get a lot out of a visit to the Forum. I like the DK Eyewitness Rome book because it has lots of drawings and pictures to help you understand the lay of the land. There is also a gentleman on this board (Walter I think? Does anyone remember his screen name?) who has written an exhaustive guide to the Forum. Personally, I prefer to take in sights like the Forum and Palatine Hill at my own pace, taking pictures and exploring to my heart's content. I have spent hours there on my visits and would certainly have felt that a tour was too rushed. But, if you feel like a tour would help you understand the ruins better, then by all means I highly recommend Context.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 07:44 PM

bookmarking
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 07:50 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>There is also a gentleman on this board (Walter I think? Does anyone remember his screen name?) who has written an exhaustive guide to the Forum.<<<

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...lking-tour.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...our-part-2.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...lking-tour.cfm

Walter has quite a few walking tours. You can browse this threads and pick what you need.
http://www.fodors.com/community/prof...ost/topics.cfm
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 08:02 PM

We are going back to Rome in April. We had a wonderful Context Rome tour of the Vatican Museums. Loved our guide. She was an art history major and former art history teacher. She was very knowledgeable not just about the art, but about the artists. We almost felt like she'd known them personally!

So, we also are thinking of signing up for a Context tour of the Forum. I think since we did not get much chance last visit to do an extensive tour of that area, we are going to take one from Context. THEN, if there is something there that piques our interest, we can go back later on our own time.

I think what I'd get from my guidebooks is a little history and a location map. The Context tour, I'm sure, will add something that provides more history, a more interesting walk and (as indicated above), time to enjoy it instead of spending our time reading and locating things on the site.

Good luck!
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 05:20 AM

Ah yes, how could I forget Paradise Lost? Thanks kybourbon for looking up the threads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -