In praise of Paris Buses

Old Sep 24th, 2006, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In praise of Paris Buses

On my most recent trips to Paris I have vowed to begin using the buses. Each time I get there, however, I revert to my old tried and true use of the marvelous metro system--until this last trip. We made a conscious effort to try to find bus routes to almost everything--and we did. I am now a near total convert to bus transportation in that wonderful city. Here's why:
a) You see more of the city, the whole city, not just where you are going to but also what's between where you are and there--and that can be much of the city and much of the city you might otherwise not see. It's wonderful.
b) It's easier to get on and off. There is only one step up and one step down, not hundreds and hundreds. If you have arthritis, as I do, or if you just hate climbing up and down lots and lots of steps, this is a special bonus of bus travel.
c) Most often the buses were less crowded, hot and sweaty than the metro. We had one bad experience where our bus was boarded by the entire entering freshman class of the American University of Paris ("and I like said to him, like how cool is that, like, like, like" I was like embarrassed to come from the same country as these like empty-headed kids) but otherwise we had mostly uncrowded rides and easily found seating.
d) The buses are about as easy to navigate as the metro once you get the hang of them.

I know the metro is cool and a very big part of the Paris experience. I also think rding buses in the US is generally regarded as uncool so many people generally shy away from the idea. But take it from me, this is a wonderful way to travel in Paris and will increase your knowledge and understanding of the city a great deal. They use the same tickets as the metros. Just get a handy guide to bus routes at any Tabak or newsstand and start riding the bus. It's wonderful.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 04:00 AM

I totally agree with you, Last month in Paris I felt that I spent more time underground getting from station to station than above and only on the bus trip to the Airport did I see the places of names of station from the metro. True the Metro is an experience but next time only buses for me.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 04:40 AM

I am another devoted fan of the bus system in Paris. I also have to contend with arthritis and find this mode of transportation the least taxing and the most enjoyable.

That is not to say that all bus systems are alike though. I just came back from Rome and thought I would move around with ease using the bus system. Wrong choice. The steps are much higher, the buses are really crowded, good luck finding a good bus map. I had to make much more use of taxis to get around.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 05:27 AM

I agree completely about buses: they are a lot more pleasant to use than the metro. I think that many tourists use the metro because metro maps are way easier to find than bus maps.

You can get free bus maps on the www.ratp.fr site, and anyone who plans to spend more than a few days in Paris would do well to buy a good bus map (L`Indispensable makes the best one in my opinion).
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 06:54 AM

we use the buses almost exclusively in paris. it's EZ, and often the most direct. the 96, 69, and 29 are particular faves.

glad to hear you've converted, judy! there's always something new about paris . . .

best,
melissa
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 07:04 AM

I fully agree about the Paris bus system.

Have any of you noticed that there is a difference in the personalities of the people who ride the buses? It seems to me that there is a difference.

On my most recent trip to Paris I was 70, and it shows. On several occasions younger riders offered me a seat rather than taking it themselves.

Also, in my case I have found that people were more prone to offer help with directions.

I remember our first trip to Paris. We were headed for the Eifel tower, which was easy to find. Then we walked across the bridge and took a bus toward Place de la Concorde. Two French gentlemen, one older than I by several years, went out of their way to make sure we took the right bus.

On another occasion we were riding from Place de la Bastille along Boulevard Mont Parnasse. I had my map out and was watching the streets and bus stops to make sure we got off at Boulevard Raspail, which was close to our hotel.

One lady seated next to us saw me studying the map and asked, in English, if she could help.

I never had those kinds of offers on the Metro.

I will ride the Metro for longer trips, but if I can possibly do so, I take the bus.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 07:16 AM

bob brow, you're right : there is apersoonality difference between bus people and metro peole (at least when it comes to locals)
Metro is for rush hours and hurried errands
Bus is for those who have all the time
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 07:28 AM

That's right about L'Indispensable--it's a little pocket sized booklet called "Le Bus."

Go to amazon and get a copy of the Paris Mapguide, which shows bus routes.

Then look up routes here, changing the number:

http://www.ratp.info/picts/plans/gif/bus_paris/69.gif

The following are example of maps of metro stations showing bus stops. Note that like the metro, each line has a name at either end. These are useful for areas with several lines, where finding the right stop can be confusing.

http://www.ratp.info/picts/plans/pdf...boulevards.pdf

http://www.ratp.info/picts/plans/pdf...iers/opera.pdf

Here's a circular city tour passing many points of interest, which for ease of explanation we are starting at Opera. If you have a Paris Mapguide you can follow along:

Walk down to rue du Quatre September and get on the 29. Get off at Bastille and board the 69; or, get off at the Place des Vosges, walk down through the center exit to the corner, go left and board the 69 there.

The 69 goes to the Champ de Mars, and is the best of the routes.

Walk past the Eiffel Tower to the Boulevard, take a right and catch the 42 on the next street, which will take you back to Opera.

Or, catch the 82 [direction Neuilly-Hopital American] and get off at Porte Maillot. Then walk to the corner, go right and onto the 73. That will take you around the Arc d'Triomphe and down the Champs-Elysees. Get off at the Rond-Pont and onto the 42.

Note that you need a ticket each time you board a bus, and that if you have a Carte Orange you just show it to the driver.

Old Sep 24th, 2006, 09:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Possible good news for the future. The Paris transit authorities are well aware of the inconvenience of having to use another metro ticket every time you use the bus, compared to certain other countries. Apparently there is a project in the works to make transfers free of charge. I presume that this will put a time limit on the validity of metro/bus tickets, but will allow people to re-use tickets in, say, a 30-minute period.
I'm sure there will be a major announcement whenever this finally comes about.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 10:34 AM

So, far the mapbook that suits me the best (out of the collection I have amassed!) is:
Le petit parisien - 3 plans différents par arrondissement
ISBN: 2-7072-0407-2 6.50€
www.massin.fr

Each arr is shown 3 times, once for metro (overlay and streets), once for a street map, and once for the bus (overlay and streets). Also has a street index and the usual system maps.
Not quite pocket-sized, about 5x8 inches.

Le Bus Parisien is quite nice, but the street maps don't show all the streets and the metros are indicated but not named on the map.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 10:47 AM

I am also in praise of Paris busses.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Travelnut, what an excellent sounding map. It took us a while to figure out where the bus routes were most likely to be given one way streets, etc. A map of the type you suggest sounds perfect. I'll look for that. Thanks.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 09:12 AM

Here is another site and a large picture of the map-book's cover:

http://www.guidesulysse.com/images/3...2707204072.jpg

It shows a sample of each type of map, with the metro line or bus line laid out over the street map.

Another nice feature is a grid with major stations (Gare.., Porte..., etc). You can trace to a 'juncture' on the grid that will show you which buses to take from one of those points to another.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:07 AM

The RATP site has all the maps in .pdf form, too (they're a lot easier than a .gif to zoom and crop for printing).

The main street map showing all the routes is http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan...secteur&fm=pdf

Individual route maps (change the number at the end for the line you want): http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan...=pdf&nompdf=17

Most all RATP maps are available in printed form free at their outlets.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 09:09 AM

Travelnut- thanks- am I missing an english part of these suggestions?
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 10:00 AM

The mapbook is French and sold on French websites (so S/H would cost more than the book!). I bought mine at a newsstand/kiosk in Paris trip before last. Used it this past May and happily rode buses more than the metro.

As far as using the book itself - there is no problem for non-French speaking, same as any other Paris map. The legend has a multilanguage 'translation'.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 03:14 PM

You can easily ask for a route map at any window - it is a complete route map with RER, Metro and Buses. The map helps a lot in particular to find out which street the bus would go on opposite directions (due to the one-way situation).

We bought Carte Orange (Zone 1-2) and had used all 3 forms of transportation. RER A is decidedly more convenient to us when going and coming between Arc de Triomphe and L'Opera - nonstop from Arc to Auber, and then take the Opera exit which is just accross from our hotel IC Le Grand. It is much faster than using Metro.

We also took a bus from Port Neully to return to Champs, and took a bus to return to L'Opera from there.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 03:25 PM

Sadly, I never want to spend the extra time I let myself believe that taking the bus will take. Whenever I am in the city, I am trying to squeeze the most into the time I have so it's always the Metro.

Once I did take the Roissy bus from the airport, and I should force myself to take other busses to see more of the city. Maybe I will try to do that next time with all these helpful hints here.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 04:18 PM

...the extra time I let myself believe that taking the bus will take. Whenever I am in the city, I am trying to squeeze the most into the time I have so it's always the Metro.

I'd say that depends on the destination. If you're going to the Louvre and are near the right metro, by all means the metro is probably best.

But there are many less touristed places in Paris where the bus will drop you practically at the doorstep, whereas the metro may be blocks away. I've come to rely on the bus far more in the last few trips.

[One possible downside: the metro doesn't get detoured by demonstrations!]
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 05:17 AM

It's probably worth mentioning that a free transit navigating program will compute the optimum routes (both fastest and fewest connections) with a dataset called Paris Bus in less than a second.

There are versions for Palm, Pocket PC, SmartPhone and others at http://nanika.net/metro

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -