Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

In Italy now with a rental car snafu. Help!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I contracted a rental car with Economycarrentals back in Feb for our 15 day rental in Italy with pick up in Bologna airport on May 11 with Budget We left the US for Italy on May 5.

When we got to the airport to pick up our car their computers we down and they had no record of our rental. I showed Budget/Avis the copy of my rental contract and they used that information to handwrite a contract and off we went.

Yesterday, May 16, was the first day we had reliable wifi in our apartment in Levanto. When my husband finally got thru all his unread emails he found an email dated May 8th from Economy canceling our rental, 3 days before our pick up date which we have had a contract for almost 3 months!!

We now have a rental car with Budget with a contract that has been canceled but we have a contract in hand from Budget and we don't return the car until May 26 to Milan airport. We checked our credit card online and on May 13, 2 days after we picked up our rental, economy car rental has credited our card for the amount of the deposit we made for the rental back in Feb

What a mess!! We have a rental car with a contract that has been voided. I'm not sure which company we should contact first, Economy or Budget. Do I even need to do anything before we return the car and plan to sort it all out then. This is all so surreal I am wondering if anyone has been in this position and what we should do in what order.

I sure could use some helpful advice. Thanks, Deborah
Old May 17th, 2013, 09:08 AM

What rate is Budget going to charge you? If Economy has refunded your payment, then you'll have to deal with Budget. Next time use Auto Europe.
Old May 17th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Robert we have used Economy, Kemwel and Autoeurope many times, all rental brokers, without any problems. Now we have a problem. I won't write off Economy until I see how they handle this. Thanks, Deborah
Old May 17th, 2013, 09:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You arranged your hire with Economy but as they refunded you that deal is by the by. They are only a broker in any case. You have had a perfectly valid contract drawn up by Avis/Budget and they rented you a car and you gave them a CC to seal the deal.

As you have a contract I don't see a problem. Forget Economy car and deal with Avis/Budget.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 05:44 PM

Most convenient place to rent car as we leave Venice? Same ? for returning car in Rome? Suggested car rental companies for reliability and dependability and any other comments you could suggest. Thanks so much.
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 02:58 AM

Fan at, your post is a hijack since it has nothing to do with the OP's question.

You are much more likely to get answers if you post your own query where it will be seen by people ho have rented in Venice. You can also search "car rentals in Italy" and find a ton of information about reliable companies and the special insurance issues you will have to deal with.
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 03:35 AM

You had a contract with Economy which is now cancelled and your account credited. That contract is now void.

You made a new contract with Budget. That contract is valid.

When you return the car you will be dealing with Budget.

Why do you think you need to have any more communication with Economy?
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Our rental contract was through economy. All additional insurance was covered by economy. By canceling our policy at the last minute we no longer had the insurance and benefits we expected. Deborah
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Our situation was unusual in that although our rental was canceled we did not receive that information until several days after we already had the car. The reason we were even given a car since Budget's computers were down was that I was able to show them a copy of my contract with economy. I had refused all additional insurance since economy includes that with their contract

Although we had our car we did not have the expected additional coverage we expected. Luckily we had no incidents to need insurance

I have used economy in the past and what I did not realize is that they can and will cancel even a long standing contract with short notice and do not offer any assistance to the customer. It's not the situation you want to find yourself in when traveling. Deborah
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 06:09 AM

Was your contract cancelled because Economy was not aware you'd picked up your car? With the computer system down, perhaps they voided your contract because the pick up date had passed and they weren't aware you had the car.