Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

In desperate need of trip planning intervention!!

Old Aug 16th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About a year ago I asked my husband what he would like to do to celebrate his 60th birthday and after the obligatory "I want to be turning 50" answer, he answered with "Paris of course!".
We leave on September 3 for a week in a lovely apartment on the Isle St. Louis . http://www.guestapartment.com/rent-a...-louis-acacia/

This will be our 5th visit to Paris and I thought how nice it will be to not feel rushed, take our days leisurely, not try to see and do too much and simply enjoy our days sipping champagne on our teeny tiny balcony overlooking the Seine.

Well, I am out of control as I enjoy the planning process almost as much as the trip itself. My husband leaves it entirely in my hands and is always happy to go along for the ride, but having been called the trip nazi on more than one occasion I have cause for concern! The more I dive into the planning, the more I realize all that we have not seen or done in Paris and I fear I am cramming way too much into our week.

Here goes:
Day 1- Arrival day
We arrive on a direct flight from Boston on Friday September 4th at 9:00 AM. The rental company will provide transportation from CDG to their office located on the Isle Ste. Louis. As the apartment is rented the night before our arrival, we will not be able to check in until after 2. They will not only store our luggage, but will have it brought into the apartment as soon as it is ready.
I thought we would take the metro to Place de Madelaine to buy two more of our champagne flutes which we will be able to enjoy all week. Perhaps a stop at Maille to stock up on mustards to bring home.
I have made a 1:00 lunch reservation at Benoit, after which we will go back to the rental office and check into our home for the week. Shower, freshen up , unpack and walk over to Blvd Henri IV to stock up on some staples for the apartment and stop at Nicholas Wine on the Isle to stock our "cellar".
I am waiting to here back form L'Ange 20 to confirm they we will be re-opened for dinner that night, if not, Chez Allard. Perhaps if we are too exhausted, pick up a roasted chicken and have a casual dinner on our little balcony with a nice bottle of champagne in our new glasses.

Day 2
I have booked an 11:00 walking food tour in Montmartre. Normally we don't do much in the way of tours, but for some reason or another I have booked several this time around!. This is a three hour tour, 6 stops , lots of food and wine along the way. After the tour a visit to Sacre Coeur and the Dali Museum.
Dinner is booked at L'Estrapade
Cafe Laurent for a nightcap and jazz

Day 3
9:30 departure in front of the Musee D'Orsay on Canal St. Martin river cruise- arriving at Parc de la Villette at 12:30. (Unless the weather is bad we will walk the Covered Passages instead)
After strolling around Canal St. Martin area for a while I thought we would have lunch at La Verre Volè and gradually walk our way back to the apartment with a stop at the Pierre Lachaise cemetery and the Picasso Museum , ending up with a stroll around Place des Voges.
Dinner is at Ciel de Paris, hopefully to enjoy a beautiful sunset from the top of Tour Montparnasse

Day 4
Covered Passages (unless it rained on day 2 in which case we will switch the plans of Canal St, Martin)
Walking from the apartment stopping at Passage Colbert, Gallerie Vivienne, Passage des Panoramas, Passage Jouffroy.
Lunch Les 110 Taillevent- after lunch a walk down Rue du Faubourg Saint- Honorè ending up up Galerie Lafayette Haussman for a glass of champagne at Bar a Bulles and a little shopping.
Dinner at Semilla at the chef's table

Day 5
Another walking tour?! I don't know what got into me this trip.
Chanel tour by Paris Walks - put this one by my husband before booking and he said he was interested in the whole Coco Chanel history, so yes he says,it sounds interesting.
Meeting point is 248 Rue de Rivoli , two hours or so later ends at Hermes .
1:30 lunch at Cafe Marley- it's "our" thing
After lunch a little shopping at Dehillerin (we always bring back a copper pan or two)
a stop at Magasin Sennelier and then on to the Museè Delecroix .
Dinner- Les Papilles

Day 6
Cluny Museum
Jardin des Plantes
Lunch at Reminet
After lunch- Musée des arts et métiers- looks very interesting especially for my husband
Galeries Vivienne and then on to the Paris Ritz for a glass of champagne

Dinner: Still undecided as I am seriously considering Yachts de Paris for a really special birthday dinner cruise on the Seine but it is VERY expensive. We have friends who have done this and raved about it-\http://donjuan2.yachtsdeparis.fr/
Nightcap and Jazz- Cafe Laurent

Day 7
Musee Rodin
Lunch at Comptoir
Bon Marchè and La Grande Épicerie
maybe- Petit Palais if we are still standing
Dinner- Verjus
Nightcap and Jazz- Cafe Laurent

Day 8
12:00 noon direct flight back to Boston

We will walk most, take metro some and even a few taxis. ( to Ciel de Paris in the evening)
With a few shopping exceptions- Dehillerin, Sennelier, Baccarat, Bon Marche, and a few restaurant exceptions- Semilla, Les 110 Taillevent, la Verre Vole and Cafe Marley, and one museum exception - Rodin (many years ago) everything will be a new experience.

I know it is "doable" but likely we won't do it all. What is you opinion- way too much? No time for sipping champagne on our balcony? Though what to cut? Where to cut? The Canal St. Martin day?
I'd love to hear an opinion of two.
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 12:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
JetLag? I might grab a shower at CdG
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 12:49 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I confess, I go crosseyed when I see itineraries all set out, a paragraph for each day, as above. So I don't read them. I guess "not try to see and do too much and simply enjoy our days sipping champagne on our teeny tiny balcony overlooking the Seine" is out the window (over the balcony?).

If you aren't the over-planner a first glance would indicate and do want more of the experience you describe in your champagne-sipping sentence, I suggest you do as some of us do. Make a list, rather than a daily itinerary. Include open/close days/times, have headings (museums, shopping, restaurants, etc.) and while you're having your grande crème in the morning, have a look at the list and see what reaction various possibilities evoke.

It could be planning one's self into such an itinerary isn't as good an idea as you may have thought in the past. One of the great advantages of having no actual itinerary is the possibility of spontaneity, seeing something fascinating along the way and having no reason whatever not to stop. Or to even just stop. Back to the balcony.
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 01:02 PM

I agree with MmePerdu.
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 01:04 PM

MmePerdu - wise words.
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 01:06 PM

I, too, just go with a list of things I'd like to do, places I'd like to see and choose each day depending on weather and what we feel like. What you have laid out here would feel to me like a forced march rather than a vacation!

Slow down and enjoy. Make a couple of lunch or dinner reservations for special places, but otherwise, no need to plan so much.
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 01:11 PM

Plan in some serendipity time - I often find that walking between main sights is as interesting as the big tourist sights themselves.

Yes some cafe people watching - a picnic in the Luxembourg Gardens or Tuileries - less structured stuff - keep the itinerary lose - what does you husband say about it - so I agrer with Mdm Perdu and Kathie and others if they said the same thing.

Some of my best memories of literally dozens of trips to Paris was say sitting on the banks of the Seine and watching the barges and bateaux mouches, etc go by.

Your itinerary actually sounds like a boot camp to me - every minutes scheduled right down to having a glass of Champagne here and a drink there. Fine if that's what you both like - not fine if only one likes and the other feels dragged around on a too ambitious schedule perhaps.

Yes make detailed plans but play it by ear once there and you do not have to do everything on one trip.

Cheers!
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 01:11 PM

I am a planner and I think it sounds wonderful. Great restaurants! We actually never do everything I plan and we are fine with that but I like to look at closings and have an idea of what to do. We abandon the plan if something (or nothing) sounds better at the time.
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 01:12 PM

I agree with Mme Perdue--this looks like an awful lot, especially on the first day. We usually make a list of things we want to do/places we want to see, and consider the trip successful if we get to 80% of them. We do plan for a LOT of flexibility, and even do solo days (there's only so many times I can spend the day at Les Invalides, whereas my husband could camp out there).Days 2-6 look doable, and we really enjoyed relaxing on the Canal St. Martin boat tour. If you are a fan of Art Nouveau, you might see when Maxim's is open for a guided tour in English, as it's right around the corner from Maille's.
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 01:55 PM

But she can't go to Maxim's because she's trying to cram a trip to Maille in before a lunch reservation ans will probably be late to lunch because of it.

It's a nice wish list, but way too structured IMO.
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 01:59 PM

Well, I would hate such a tight plan, but I am kind of a serendipity person. I find the best, most wonderful things happen when I haven't planned them. We meet someone who invites us somewhere or we find some unique little cafe or restaurant we didn't know about. Sometimes it turns out wonderful, sometimes not, but always an adventure.

Of course, we miss some things too, so if missing things bothers you, or you like to know everything will turn out well, then by all means plan and make sure you do everything. Nothing wrong with that.

I wonder though, do you ever feel you have run short of time in one place because you have something else booked and need to get there? Do you ever want to just plunk yourself down in a cafe and watch life of the city you are in, or sit and be a local having lunch in a park? If not, that is OK too. I am a meanderer and a wanderer, so vary hard for me to have a tight schedule. My DH would enjoy your planning, but understands I would not and he mostly wants me to have fun, so he goes along with me. If your DH is happy with your schedule, then you are good to go. Everybody should have their own trip.

The first day, however, seems it would be nicer to sit on the balcony with dinner and a glass of wine, not scurrying to get ready for a restaurant after a flight and all the checking into the apartment, shopping, etc.
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 02:09 PM
kja

From another planner -- be sure to leave yourselves enough time for the Cluny. As I recall, I spent about 3 hours; YMMV.

Enjoy!
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 02:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>This will be our 5th visit to Paris and I thought how nice it will be to not feel rushed, take our days leisurely, not try to see and do too much and simply enjoy our days sipping champagne on our teeny tiny balcony overlooking the Seine. four times previously. Except for a (very) few things that must be pre-booked (like special exhibitions or hard to book restaurants) why are you pre-planning much of anything???

I'll compare it to me and London -- I visit often. So except things like a Fodors GG (most every trip) Benedict Cumberbach in Hamlet or a very special meal, I seldom schedule anything. I just enjoy London. You are in the same boat re Paris. You know the city, you have a great place to stay . . . Just enjoy being IN Paris and don't run around like maniacs.

Just my 2¢ . . .
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 03:53 PM

My friend and I am leaving from Boston to Paris the day after you and taking the Chanel tour you are taking on Tuesday. I am looking forward to meeting you and hearing how your itinerary is working. I am a planner also, have several restaurants booked and a list of places I want to visit. My days are not quite as planned as yours. Trying to leave some days open to just enjoy Paris.
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 04:56 PM

I've just read Day 1 and I'm already feeling like I'm in prison. This is just nothing at all like the way we travel. We reserve hotels - and a car if a road trip - and have a list of what we really want to do/see. We have names of a couple of restaurants we want to try - and reserve only those things that must be done in advance - like Buckingham Palace or Borghese Gallery - to avoid long waits.

Everything else we play by ear - depending on the weather, our mood, how late we've been out the night before. We decide over breakfast what we'll do that day - and generally have two items on the list - 3 at most if they are brief. Then we spend the rest of the time just wandering, window shopping, exploring cute streets etc.

What you have does sound like the D Day invasion plan.
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 05:21 PM

Usually, even though I don't plan, I can go along with others, but one day I did sit down on a low wall and refused to move another step - told the others to do what they wanted and I would be right there when they returned.

While I said it is your trip to do however you like, it does seem like overkill to plan not only for dinner, but drinks afterwards at a specific place. That seems like something that if you finished early one of you might suggest at the last minute, "Oh, let's stop at. . . . . . . " or you are walking around and see a place that looks interesting, you stop and check it out. Perhaps you could cut back on some of those types of things and allow for more spontaneity. If they are written down, you may be more inclined to feel you must do them.

Have you read your plan to your DH?
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 05:22 PM

I like to plan and my husband likes to roam around, just taking in what we see on the way. Drives me crazy but now I just venture out on my own and he can follow if he likes or I can roam with him. I think having a basic itinerary for walking or if driving, is good, as well having a few places that you must see on your trip.

I also look at what is near my "must see" in case I have extra time to explore the restaurants, stores, museums or scenery nearby. I have the attitude that "I can always come back tomorrow or on another trip" and have enjoyed all our trips to Europe since 2000, with few arguments between us.

Have a great trip and relax!
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Exactly the intervention I so desperately needed!

Bilboburgler- the shower option at CDG is a real option-thanks for the idea!

To all who have suggested making a list of places of interest and taking each day as it comes- new mantra!

Other new mantra- more time sipping champagne on the balcony!

Sassafrass- I am seriously considering a walk to Place Maubert on our first day to buy a roasted chicken, some cheese, bread and a pear tart to enjoy on our little balcony in lieu of dinner out.

MmePerdu- i often make these insane itineraries and seldom fulfill all of my expectations. I am REALLy trying to slow down a bit!

Bellarosa- Maxim's is agrat suggestion- thanks

Serendipity- another new mantra!

benitakaren- please email me at [email protected] !
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 05:49 PM
kja

As someone who takes GREAT pleasure in planning my trips, I have to admit that I don't think the OP's plan is overdone -- it's certainly looser and more leisurely than anything I would come up with! ;-) It's only overdone if it results in insistence on following it letter for letter, and I suspect Ralstonlan knows to use it as a guideline, not a mandate.

One of the things I appreciate about detailed planning is that it helps me use my time more wisely on the ground because I've already thought through my priorities and so can make better decisions on the fly. Planning certainly does not prevent me from taking advantage of an unexpected moment. In contrast, it helps me make sure I don't miss something that is of particular importance to me and it saves me time on the ground.

So, Ralstonlan, my recommendation would be to plan away to your heart's content! Just don't ever post a day-by-day itinerary for comment again. ;-)

I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip! I think your husband is fortunate to have someone pay attention to so many details in advance.
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 05:51 PM
kja

Seems we were posting at the same time, to different ends....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -