Reload this Page >

In defense of tour companies and airlines

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 01:25 PM
Vita

First let me say that I am in no way affiliated with a tour company, travel agency, airline, or any type of travel-related industry. That said, I was just reading in the paper about the devasting impact that this act of terrorism and its aftermath could have on our economy. This includes several prominent airlines (e.g., Continental) filing for bankruptcy. I don't blame people for being angry about the refund policies. It's a lot of money and I feel very thankful that I got my full refund from Northwest. I'm just very fearful about the future of flying and travel if these airlines are shut down. I don't want to be an alarmist, but I think this is a real concern. Here's the article that I read. <BR> <BR>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2001Sep14.html

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 01:39 PM
Leslie

Vita, <BR> <BR>I don't know if you are referring at all to Sharon's post regarding the tour company not refunding her money because she was unable to get out on a flight today. <BR> <BR>I truly have no problem with American companies not refunding money if they are not able to, but I believe that they should be at least offering alternate dates and credits to their clients. I've seen some travel organizations state that although refunds are not available, that travel can be completed within the next 12 months. At least that is accommodating. <BR> <BR>In regard to European businesses refunding money. It would be nice if they would, but the events occurred over here, and those acts of terrorism should not hinder the economies all over the world. I know someone mentioned that buzz (KLM's discounted airline) does not offer refunds, but that is solely an airline that only services European destinations at truly cut rate prices. Same goes for Ryan Air. <BR> <BR>Converse to my comments, I am wondering if US corporations have refunded money to our friends overseas when their countries have experienced acts of terrorism - eg. Israel, Ireland, etc. <BR> <BR>Leslie

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 01:46 PM
Vita

Hi, Leslie. I wasn't responding to any posts in particular. I've just noticed a series of posts dealing with this issue. I'm not critizing and, yes, at least a credit would be in order. I guess I was just disturbed and saddened by the article and I felt that that sharing my concern was the only thing I could do.

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Linda

One thing most people don't realize is that tour companies have paid out quite bit of money for your trip well before you take the trip. They have purchased tickets, admittance to various attractions, paid a deposit to guides, booked buses and paid a deposit (if not the entire amount) for hotel rooms, etc. They can't get their money back, especially the deposits. Are they supposed to go into the red to give you the money you gave them if it is already spent? I understand the grief people are feeling and how they don't want to travel. But please understand that there are two sides to this problem. Even if the tour companies are totally compassionate and WANT to give money back, they may not have it to give. It may already be spent.

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 02:10 PM
Leslie

Linda, <BR> <BR>Before responding to my comments, I suggest you read Sharon's post. One of her comments was that the tour company said that they would be able to get the airline to refund her money, but the tour company was keeping it for a processing fee. <BR> <BR>Having been on a number of package tours before, I can tell you that many of the items you mentioned are not prepaid by the tour company -- some are, but not all. The last two tours I was on, my tour guide paid for the hotel rooms when we were departing the hotel, and the same goes for the entrance fees to venues that were included in the cost of my tour. <BR> <BR>By not at least providing a full credit or at a very high credit, tour companies that maintain these practices because of acts that occurred this week will only jeopardize themselves being in business. This is a sign of very poor customer service. <BR> <BR>If people are cancelling their trips and requesting refunds for fraudulent reasons, that is a whole other story. I read one thread where the person stated she felt an illness coming on. This was not Sharon's scenario, she intended to be part of the tour. Her flight was cancelled and she couldn't join the tour. <BR> <BR>Leslie

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 03:56 PM
matt

- <BR>Wouldn't trip insurance cover some of these losses? Or are 'acts of terrorism' excluded from coverage?

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 04:56 PM
Alec

Having run some tours in the recent past, I want to comment on tour companies' position regarding refunds. Even if, as Leslie says, the tour guide pays for hotel rooms on departure, in most cases they are contractually bound to take certain number of rooms, regardless of whether they are actually occupied or not. The tour companies may be able to rely on 'force majeure' clause to relieve them of contractual obligations, in which case they are in a position to give you refunds, but it depends on fine print. <BR>For the traveller, most travel insurance policies issued in UK exclude claims arising from terrorist activities, or only cover them as an optional extension. I know the building insurance for our community hall gives terrorism cover only at double premium, which we've decided not to take. I don't know if it's the same for US policies.

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 10:10 PM
j

fyi to Leslie, my friend was scheduled to fly to Italy 9/11. KLM refunded the fare on non refundable tickets, and the hotels in Florence, Venice and Positano all accepted cancellation with no penalty. There are compassionate business people all over. j