In Defense of Lines

Search

In Defense of Lines

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2003, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Defense of Lines

I want to suggest a perspective about waiting in line to see sights. I'm not suggesting one shouldn't try to find the best time to see things that are less crowded but I want to argue against the idea of skipping something because of a line and that lines are always a waste of time.

I think lines can be all part of the experience. When we went to Washington DC a few years ago almost everyone from their advised me against a White House Tour because of the long line to get a ticket. But I was taking my kids and there was no way we were going all the way to DC and my kids not see the white house. I got up early, brought a book and waited about an hour and a half and had a great time. I met two people from the Netherlands on holiday. My book on D Day caught the attention of someone who actually fought in Normandy. It was fun and was all part of the experience.

And now you can't even get into the White House. That's the trouble with skipping something assuming you will be back. My husband died in an accident at 49. We thought we could do a lot of things later. I think you need to take advantage of the moment and when I go to Italy next year, I don't know if I'll ever get to go back, so I will wait in line to see the things I want to see.

I think the key is being prepared for a line and then making the most of it, get to know the people around you. Meeting other tourists in line around you can be just as enhancing as meeting locals.

Of course, I've been known to go shopping on the day after Thanksgiving, so I'm not terribly perterbed by crowds.

Joelle
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 05:05 AM

Joelle well said.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 05:19 AM

As much as I hate lines, I can't agree with you more about seizing the opportunity while you can. My wife and I are going on a Mediterranean Cruise in August. It is something she has always wanted to do and when my father died earlier in the year, I inherited some money. We have the money, we have the health, we have the time so why not go for it now... we may not have any of these further down the road and nothing is worse than regret.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 05:22 AM

Joelle: You're right, of course. We should seek all opportunities to turn lemons into lemonade.

Thanks for the "heads up" this morning!
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 05:28 AM

Well said Joelle!
Also, you never know if you might strike up a conversation with someone while in one of those lines and make a new friend!
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 06:17 AM
Bootman4U

Some things are definitely worth waiting for and sometimes the conversations that erupt in lines can be a big part of the experience in and of itself. This seems to fit in with the notions some have about places being "too touristy" or worse, so-called "tourist traps." Well, like it or not, there is a REASON, and usually a good one, why people flock to certain places and why there are lines to get in.....so rather than obsessing about it or posting here asking "will there be a line to get into the Eiffel Tower elevator?" knowing full well there will be, why not make the most of it?

Old Jun 12th, 2003, 06:57 AM
dln

I hate waiting in lines. It makes me antsy, impaient, ill-tempered...etc. etc. Knowing this about myself, I choose very carefully what I want to wait in line for.

Having made the decision to wait, I consider it part of the experience. It doesn't bother me then. I talk to my family and/or friends and people watch. Sometimes it has turned out that the waiting in line has been a more interesting experience than the attraction waited upon!

Old Jun 12th, 2003, 07:37 AM

I heartily agree that there are many wonderful sights the world over that are worth seeing, even if there is a line. Joelle, your view is outstanding, because you've pointed out that attitude is a big part of the experience, and if you go knowing that there will be a wait and plan for it, it's not as bad. (Why do you think Disney has signs that say 1 hour wait from this point?). Thanks for reminding us to have our heads in the right mode so that we don't overlook some great spots.

All that said, it is so great to plan a trip using the experiences of travellers on this board; that way, we can benefit from advice that lets us organize our visits and take advantage of good time planning. I choose to travel in shoulder season because I don't like heat and crowds, and this forum has greatly enhanced my planning.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 09:35 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"I think you need to take advantage of the moment."

Coincidentally, I was going to post something very similar today. My cousin (a very athletic 54-year-old) was walking across the street from his home in Seattle to get the mail last Friday night. The street is on a steep hill, and as he walked across the street, a 12 year old on a bike hit him, and my cousin hit his head on the pavement. They took him off life support yesterday, and he passed away.

So when I see a post on whether to go to Europe this year or wait until next year when the dollar might be stronger (or any other excuse to postpone), I say, "Do it now." That actually goes for a lot of things in life, not just travel. So to skip something because you can see it later doesn't work for me. There might not be a later.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 09:46 AM

maitaitom,

Sorry to hear about your cousin... but things like that can happen any day which is the reason why my wife and I are going to Europe now. My wife had planned for us to do it for our 5th anniversary... I cam into some money so we pushed it forward Why wait another 3 years to do something we can do now?
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 09:55 AM

Tom -

Please accept my condolences re your cousin's untimely death. It's wonderful that you can view that tragedy as a reason to live in the moment, and I wholeheartedly agree.

Although patience is a virtue I seem to lack, there are plenty of things worth waiting to see. I really try to view the glass as half full, and think about how lucky I am to even be standing in line in Florence, Paris, etc! I too have met people and had interesting conversations while standing in line.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 10:37 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"...how lucky I am to even be standing in line in Florence, Paris, etc!"

First of all thanks for the nice thoughts. My wife and I traveled with a friend of mine and his wife to Italy a couple of years ago. Our motto was, "Attitude is everything!" My buddy and I continually marveled at how lucky we were just to be in Italy. A minor nuisance like a line at a museum or any other inconvenience is far outweighed by the fact that I'm in Europe. I've been fortunate to get to travel extensively in my life, and I never take it for granted.

A couple of years ago, I called it the "Year of Doing Things." Instead of blowing off invitations to events or dinners, my wife and I made a concerted effort to do as many things as possible, even if we were tired or didn't feel like going. As you get older it seems like time is passing faster, however if you plan and do a lot of things (whether it be a play, going for a hike, going out for dinner or traveling), it actually seems like life has slowed down and you stay younger. Since we have continued to do things more, my wife now calls it "The Life of Doing Things" (sometimes she's not as happy about it as I).

Oh well, enough rambling for today. Being philosophic is not really my forte.