Impulse Buy - One Week in Italy, Nov

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldn't resist the British Airways deal and just booked the week of Thanksgiving to Milan. Any recommendations for the Lakes region? We'll have 6 nights, flying in and out of Milan.

We travelled to Amalfi, Tuscany (Siena, San G, etc.), Florence, and Venice this Sept and loved it...hoping for more success in Northern Italy.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 05:13 PM
cmt

I was in the lakes area for a few days at the beginning and end of my vacation in late September and early October 2003. By the time I got to Lake Maggiore in October, although the area was crowded with German tour groups, it was really off season. Certain seasonal transportation had ended, for example, both the public bus to Lake Orta and tours to Lake Orta. I don't think November would be a particularly ideal time to be on the lakes. I might not be especially cold, because the climate along the lakes is actually a little milder than other parts of Italy and Switzerland at the same latitude further away from the lakes. (However, it was very cold and damp and windy the afternoon I took a boat from Locarno back to Stresa.) But, from what I've heard from others who really love the lakes, summer must be a more appealing time there. Nevertheless, I thought Lake Como was very beautiful (I stayed in Varenna.) I'm sure it is beautiful at any time of year, but just darker and less smiling the closer you get to winter.

Sicily, on the other hand, is wonderful in November.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 05:18 PM

We stayed in a wonderful apartment above Stresa with a magnificent view of Lake Maggiore. www.sunnylink.it/lesommetrare
Loved the area,drove to Locarno,Switzerland,Lake Orta and Lake Como. Tell me if you like to website.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the speedy replies! We usually travel "off season" (i.e. Belgium and Scotland in March - cold and gray) and don't let the weather get us down...we actually prefer when there is less "to do" - gives more time to just relax and enjoy our surroundings.

Will definitely think about Sicily and will certainly check out the apartment rental in Maggiore - thanks for the suggestions.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 06:19 PM

That late in Nov. the Lakes will be cold, wet, and dreary. I would go to Sicily.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 08:52 PM

You have already booked a trip in Nov? Are you on the west or east coast? Must have been some deal!
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 09:42 PM

We loved Bellagio, Lake Como and Lake Maggiore - in the summer. In early November, head south. Sicily would be a great option.