Impact of Oct 12 - big city or ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(First time poster, though I've been reading for a few weeks, please be gentle!)

Finally made the leap and bought roundtrip tickets to Madrid this October. Tentative plans include Madrid with daytrips as well as Cordoba, Seville, and Granada, fitting in some sherry tasting and scenic driving along the way.

Initial query: any advice as where to be or to avoid on Oct 12? Seems like it's mainly a business holiday - banks and such will be closed, museums mostly open but free and thus likely crowded. Should we aim to be in a larger city or more of a rural day trip? Do we expect major rail/bus issues? (We will likely rent a car for part of the trip.)

Looking forward to getting into the details of planning - if I can borrow Kristina's phrase, I definitely fit the bill of "travel tyrant", and already have several spreadsheets in the works!
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 04:46 PM

sounds great to me.

The main event of the day is a massive and vibrant procession through the centre of the capital city, which is attended by members of the Spanish royal family and prominent government officials. Every year the streets of Madrid are abundantly decorated with national flags and lined with thousands people eagerly anticipating the fantastic annual spectacle. The parade consists of representatives from Spain's military institutions, public services and prominent businesses accompanied by bands and dancers representing every region of Spain.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Is this limited to Madrid, or do other places do similar on smaller scales?
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 06:43 PM

"by bands and dancers representing every region of Spain"

I watch it on TV every year, and I swear it..I only see a militar parade..

The bands and dancing are in Zaragoza, which is their main holiday, la Virgen del Pilar.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 02:19 AM

You may find crowds taking trains/buses since early morning, with long lines at the booking offices. Trafic jams as well, in the morn and in the evening (especially from Madrid). For example, going that day to Segovia or El Escorial (from Madrid) might be a bad idea, to put it simple. My suggestion is to spend the full day in the city you happen to be, there'll be places to visit, no doubt, and have your restaurants booked in advance. We can make suggestions on that matter, so let us know.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks to all - staying put in one city seems like an excellent plan. If the trains/busses are anything like those here on similar holidays (July 4, etc), I certainly don't want to be anywhere near them! And thanks in advance for the offers for more specific suggestions once we have more of an actual itinerary.