Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I'm sorry...change in plans makes me ask Paris RATP/SNCF questions...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I apologize ahead of time. Due to illness in the family, we're scrambling to adjust all our travel plans. We were lucky to be able to change our departure flights and now I'm dealing with circumstances at the last minute.

One of the things that suffered with our plan change was that we are no longer heading north on the TGV to Brussels once we land (plan change ruined my nice pre-printed PREMs fare). We now must leave early from Gare du Nord, skip Brussels and head straight to Amsterdam on an early Thalys train.

Given the severity of the illness in two family members, I am about to book a room at the CDG Sheraton so that our recuperating family members can at least be unburdened of luggage, even if check-in is delayed.

So, here are my questions...

Is there a SNCF boutique at the airport where I could pick up our tickets or do I have to head into town?

If I must head into town, I might as well stay and enjoy. Would a one-day Mobilis make sense then?

I have avoided Gare du Nord like the plague for eons. Any tips so I would know EXACTLY where we must go to board the Thalys train the next day? If worse comes to worse, I will do a reconnaisance mission.

Again, I apologize. I usually search and sift, but I have to get things in gear fast. Thank you.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 07:01 AM

I thought there at least used to be one in Terminal 1
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 07:02 AM

I thought all Thalys services from Paris to Amsterdam went through Brussels...no?
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 07:20 AM

there used to be a SNCF boutique in terminal one until about three years ago.

when i asked if it was to return airport info said no - but i haven't been to terminal 1 and it may have resurfaced - anyone know?

but with the VAL people mover it's easy to get to the CDG TGV station i guess in terminal 2.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Thalys stops at Brussels Midi and then goes on to Amsterdam. Unfortunately, my Brussels PREMs were for yesterday (one of the family members was hospitalized right about the time we were to leave)and we have to skip the time we allotted for Brussels and head straight to Amsterdam. No refunds or exchange on the Prems.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, PalenQ. I've been looking at all the CDG websites, assumed there had to be one at the TGV station there, but one never knows.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 07:29 AM

I apologize for offering information which is apparently not up to date.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 07:34 AM

Seems to be some data missing.

There are at least 7 TGVs a day from CDG to Brussels Midi. All TGV trains from Paris Nord stop in Brussels. If you plan to see Brussels you have the option of taking an International Express train from Brussels to Amsterdam.

All train stations have a ticket window.

CDG Sheraton is very convenient. Stayed there once.

<i>I have avoided Gare du Nord like the plague for eons. Any tips so I would know EXACTLY where we must go to board the Thalys train the next day? If worse comes to worse, I will do a reconnaisance mission.</i>
As I recall, TGV trains are parked throughout the station. You have to get the track number for your train. There is a somewhat fuzzy picture of the station orientation plan at http://tinyurl.com/2cgs57. You can at least make out the track numbers. The TGV office appears to be at the bottom of the sign.

Sorry I don't know what a Mobilis is? I would buy a carnet, ten individual passes at a good discount.

Old Aug 6th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Oh, Dukey...it was so kind of you to respond so quickly, and I apologize if I did not acknowledge you right away (I'm answering doctor/pharmacy calls here and am having considerable problems multi-tasking).
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

hopscotch--I already have my Paris/Amsterdam Thalys reservations now, and we are not getting off in Brussels. We need to get to Amsterdam in early afternoon. Explanation: We have a lot of other arrangements that necessitate picking up our original itinerary.

The French TGVs were not available for this time sequence (again, I had four nice tickets in my little paws that are now useless)but I was able to get Mezzo Plus fares (an even better internet special kept locking me out) with seats near enough for our party of four, so I'm considering myself lucky.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 07:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The Thalys has two dedicated platforms and <b>only two</b> at Gare du Nord. They are marked with giant signs and Thalys banners. There is a Thalys information desk at the head of those platforms to inform people who need information.

It is impossible to get lost. I am very sorry that you have avoided Gare du Nord, which is a very nice place, albeit quite busy (busiest train station in Europe).
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Kerouac--you're a peach. One item off the list.