Help ticketing train from Paris to Amsterdam, with Brussels stop

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With much help from this board, I have decided to book tickets on the Thalys from Paris to Amsterdam. I am having trouble booking the ticket with a stop in Brussels. Is it correct that we can spend a layover (less than 24 hours) in Brussels on the same ticket? How would I book this?

We plan on leaving Paris on March 17 (early to mid-afternoon). We'd like to stop in Brussels, spend the night and continue on the train to Amsterdam the next morning (March 18).

I have tried sncf.com and thalys.com with no luck. I can book Paris to Brussels and then Brussels to Amsterdam on seperate tickets, but I assume that will be more expensive? Any suggestions on booking this ticket would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 10:23 AM

I'm not sure if the ABS (Any Belgian Station) program works with tickets that have Amsterdam as a final destination. That is, I haven't heard of Thalys offering a 24 Belgium break in the middle of a Paris-Amsterdam ticket.

Assuming that you can't take that break on one ticket (and hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong), your most flexible option might be to buy the cheapest Thalys ticket you can get between Paris and Brussels and then head on up to Amsterdam the next day on one of the many regular trains. There isn't that much time difference between the Thalys and regular trains from Brussels to Amsterdam.

If you do find a way to make this overnight stop on a Paris-A'dam ticket (esp. on one of the discounted fares), please post the details.

Can't wait til next year, when the Thalys journey time between Paris and Amsterdam drops to just three hours!
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 10:30 AM
ira

Hi B,

>I can book Paris to Brussels and then Brussels to Amsterdam on seperate tickets, but I assume that will be more expensive?<

Never assume.

Train tickets in Europe (except for special rates) are based on distance traveled.

Two tickets will be approximately the same price.

You will be able to spend as much time in Brussels as you wish.

Have a nice trip.

Old Jan 9th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Hhmmm... Not sure where I get that info? Maybe I was thinking a stop on the Eurostar (London to Paris)? Sorry.

It looks like SMILYS = 49 euros for Paris to Brussles? Is this reasonable? Where would I find information on regular trains from Brussels to Amsterdam?
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 06:29 AM

The Belgian rail site is:
www.b-rail.be

You can get the same information (except prices) on any rail site - I like:
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 06:48 AM

From Brussels to Amsterdam, regular intercity trains run every hour. They are cheaper and only slightly slower than Thalys. Seats cannot be reserved so tickets do not need to be bought in advance.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:30 AM
MaureenB

For a similar trip, we called BudgetEurope.com and spoke with their very helpful reps. to untangle the train fares. Then, you can purchase your tickets through them, if you want to have them in-hand before you leave the States. I think they charge about $15 S&H fee for the entire purchase. I don't have their 800 number handy, but it's on their website. Have fun!

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 08:00 AM
ira

Hi B,

You can buy your Brussels/Amsterdam tickets and your Paris/Brussels tickets on http://www.voyages-sncf.com/

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 09:08 AM

ditto for Budget Europe great service - 800-441-2387 or budgeteuropetravel.com