I'm scared because Italian apartments rent must be paid in cash upon arrival

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've rented several apartments in Paris before and have never had a problem. But for some reason I have this recurring thought of Italians posting fake apartment adds ambushing me upon arrival, taking all the cash that they know I will be carrying, then run away!

I'm thinking of renting one of these apartments. I really want to rent the first one, though the second one is about 50% cheaper but is located in the same area. Which one would you book? How do I know they are real posts?!

http://www.vrbo.com/178535

http://www.vrbo.com/221568

It says "credit cards accepted" in one of the posts, but the owner says the credit card is only used to book the apartment while the rent must be paid in cash!
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 01:39 PM

What is this innate fear of Italians you seem to harbor? Sounds very discriminatory to me, and entirely irrational.

What do you expect to get out of posting here? Seems to me the only thing that might assuage your fear would be to hear from some Fodorite who had rented one of those apartments and had it all work out fine - BUT folks on a public message board are every bit as anonymous as those apartment owners, so why would you trust them and their opinions and more than you trust anonymous Italians?

I don't see how anyone here can help you.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

I'm not scared because the owners are Italian- not at all. What's making me nervous is that they are demanding full payment in cash upon arrival.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 01:47 PM

Most Italian apartments require full cash payment on arrival. There is nothing unusual about that.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 02:04 PM

Gathering sufficent euros upon arrival can be a bit of a hassle but it's all safe and normal.

Of the 2 apartments I'd be inclined to take the second based on price and location. I like that street. The more expensive one looks brighter however.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 02:09 PM

Londonetc, if you are leery why don't you book through one of the agencies which are mentioned here often. Rentvillas.com is a US company and there are many others in Italy, Rome and the USA.

Check out this site, I would say use the search button but it hardly works.

Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 02:11 PM

Careful: the posters above may be fronts for those devious cash-hungry Italians!

Um, no. But if you are still fearful, why not go through an agency instead of VRBO?
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 02:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, london,

well just to raise your anxiety levels, we booked our apartment in Rome through an agent and still had to pay the balance in cash when we arrived, plus a cash security deposit - about €1000 in total. and we were arriving on Easter Sunday and couldn't guarentee getting the money when we got there.

in the end we got the euros from our bank before we went, both wore money belts and secreted €500 each about our persons. this raised eyebrows when we had to retrieve the money when we arrived but stopped us worrying on the way.

the next time when we had to pay cash in Florence we were used to the system and didn't worry at all.

but as other posters have said, if you use a US agency you can pay in U$ in the US. I am always getting e-mails from www.rentvillas.com who conduct all their business in the US in U$ and have some apartments in Rome that seem to be in your price-range, and i'm sure there will be others.

personally I like the look of the first apartment [i can't get the 2nd one to open] and it would be a pretty elaborate scam! and if all else fails, if you don't like the apartment [or it doesn't exist, LOL] you don't give them the money. VRBO couldn't last long if they had non-existent apartments on their books.

regards, ann
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 03:44 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
don't know which places/agencies you've used in Paris - but every single time I've rented a place there, I've had to pay cash upon arrival.

You do know about vrbo's "Homeaway" guarantee - right??
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 03:46 PM

." What's making me nervous is that they are demanding full payment in cash upon arrival.'
we had to do the same in Barcelona : we looked at the apt., we paid, they gave was a receipt.

No problem.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 04:01 PM

I'll add my voice to the others who have already posted- when I rented an apartment from realrome this past x-mas, I gave my credit card number to reserve the apartment, and then paid the entire balance in cash on arrival.

Because I was going to be alone with only one bank card, I decided to buy the euro ahead of time just before I left.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, as others have already said it's common practice.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 04:07 PM

I just had a look at the vrbo links and of the two, I would definitely <b>not</b> rent the second one because it has a convertable sofa bed not a real bed, the bathroom looks like it might be a bit grungy, and there are no comments in the guestbook.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 04:55 PM

You pay cash upon receiving the goods ordered, viz an apartment.

What is so weird about that, may I ask....

I wd much rather give cash on delivery than give my credit card over the internet in advance of seeing the place.

Or maybe you think you shd pay only at the end of the stay -- and that the owner shd trust you not to trash the ploace &amp;-or skip town without paying, cuz, hey: you are one of us trustworthy English-speakers.... like that posh Mr Madoff....
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

OK everyone, you convinced me that my fears may have been unwarranted! Apres-Londee thanks for answering my question. And Janis I didnt know about the homeaway guarantee but will definitely register my booking with them.

But still you never know; if you don't hear from me after this upcoming March, it means I'm locked up in some basement in Rome and you better tell the FBI and convince my dad to give in to the mafia's demands
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 06:02 PM

OK, if there's no trip report, we'll call the FBI and they can scour Rome for someone named Londonlscoollikelttt
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

LOL rosetravels!

But seriously, you could actually email fodors, and they would be able to track my IP address which would provide the FBI with my name and home address ;-)
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 07:18 PM

LondonIs

We had to carry euros to Venice for an apartment. I ordered them through my bank, after checking all the available sources for the best exchange rate and lowest fees.

I was a little nervous about carrying cash, so I sewed a secret pocket under the lining of my carryon. In retrospect, it seems silly, but at the time, I needed to feel safe.

I suggest as others have that you might want to use an agency that folks here, or on slowtrav.com have had good luck with.

I might do vrbo someday, but it hasn't happened yet.