I'm Looking for a New Destination

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actuaally I ususally hate these kinds of posts were people ask. "where should I go?" So her I am asking that very same question.

We have been to Europe a number of times and we have been to the big citits like London, Paris, Rome, Amsterdam, Munich, etc. We are incurable budget tourists who like car trips in the German-speaking countries. We've been back to Munich and the German/Austrian Alps any number of times. We like to take car trips exploring the little villiages.

What's next? I always appreciate the input from this board because there is always someone who have been to any where. What new places do you recommend or what undiscovered back-roads places do you like. We have kicked around Slovenia or some of the Eastern Europe places for the next trip. I would appreciate your input.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 03:49 PM

You didn't mention the Greek Islands. If you haven't been there by all means GO! Santorini is one of the most amazingly spectacular spots on this planet.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 03:58 PM

I've heard that Croatia is gorgeous, especially along the Dalmatia coast.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Both of those are good ideas, I'll start ddoing some research. Brotherlee, we have not been to the Greek isles although we did go to Athens and a few other place in Greece many years ago. What do you recommend. Just Santorini or that plus other islands, how many days etc? Imi, where do you go in Croatia?
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 04:11 PM

I didn't go. My friend went a couple years ago, and showed me photos, and I think I saw a travel show in Croatia, particularly Split. It looks very lovely, and would love to visit there. But first, I must go to Paris, Florence, Rome, and the Provence before I go there.

(PS - It's LMLWEB, but I like the lowercase, but the font used here makes it look like uppercase I).
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 04:46 PM

I also suggest Croatia, which is beautiful and still relatively cheap. Don't wait till it is discovered by more tourists who will bid up hotel and restaurant prices.

In addition, I heard that Kracow (or Cracow) in Poland is pretty. It's been known to many tourists but not to the same extent as Prague.

The spa area of the Czech Republic close to Germany is nice too. It's filled with German tourists.

If these don't sound exotic enough, try Crosica, to where the French and Germans escape in August.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 04:47 PM

I suggest you do as many Germans do...go to Ireland.

On our trip there a couple of years ago, a large percentage of the tourists were German; a few times we enjoyed sharing a table at a pub with German tourists (and English, Welsh, Scottish, as well as Irish). Some of the road signs are actually in German- Achtung, Links fahren!

You will be very comfortable in B&B's and guesthouses which are similar to those that we stayed at while touring around Germany.

The people are very friendly and welcoming. Germans and Irish seems to mix well...atleast that is what we have found at home where we, along with several others, belong to both the German and Irish cultural societies.

Like Germany, there is a lot of natural beauty; lots of places to bike and hike.

Ireland also offers many interesting ancient and historical sights to tour.

We enjoyed Dublin and sights just north and south of the city (Newgrange, Hill of Tara , Trim, Powerscourt, Glendalough, Wicklow Mts.) but if you have limited time we probably prefered the west (especially if looking for quaint towns and budget). Our favorites were Doolin, Dingle, and Kenmare. This June we will be revisiting these towns with family and are also looking forward to Westport (will visit Connemara from here) and Donegal (will add a trip to the Giant's Causeway from here).

Another positive thing in common is good beer!

Prost...Slainte!
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 04:47 PM

Sorry, a little typo. I meant Corsica, which is the island right above Sardinia.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 04:57 PM

Santorini is one of the Cyclades group of islands. They are close together. You can conveniently visit Naxos, Ios, Paros, Anafi, Amorgos, Antiparos, Folegandros and Sikinos using the ferry system.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 04:59 PM

I saw some photos attached to a trip report on Budapest. They also had pictures of some of the surrounding countryside. The area looked just beautiful. I have it on my list...not the short list however. Too many places, not enough time. Have you been to Scandanavia? I was in Stockholm and Copenhagen right after Christmas. Lovely cities. My neice was in Norway and just thought Oslo was wonderful. You mentioned budget travel. These cities can be quite expensive but like anyplace, you can go fairly cheaply if you work on it.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 05:10 PM

i would definitely add the following to your future "must see" list:

Krakow
Budapest
Prague
greek islands
Moscow
st. petersburg

the gem of northern italy.. lakes, piemonte,bergamo, verona, vicenza, venice. i NEVER tire of discovering (with many fodorites' help here) new small towns in italy.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 05:47 PM

Try Romania. Between Clifton's and my report: http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34659808
you should find enough to whet your appetite.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

This giving me lots of ideas, keep 'em coming. So far I have about 6 new places on my list to research.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 08:37 PM

Hi
I agree that Croatia is a great place to visit. We were in Istria and Trogir 3 yrs ago and thought it fantastic. we rented a car and drove. As an alternative, we are now planning our 3rd trip to Poland. We've been to Warsaw, Krakow. This time we are planning Lublin, Zamosc and the south eastern area, near Ukrain and Belarus. The area is supposed to be like old Europe. Another suggestion, coming from Slovakia through the Tatras to Krakow. We've been other places in central Europe Including Czech Rep. We find it less expensive, more old Europe. People using horses and carts, old towns with wooden churches etc. Enjoy your trip.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 12:56 AM

Yes, why not try Norway? A roundtrip by car covering both the southern part with the fjords and the dramatic landscapes of the northern part with the midnight sun can be done relatively comfortable within 3-4 weeks. Based on self-catering and living in camping cabins most of the tour, expenses can be fairly low. Also consider the very low domestic airfares during summer. Welcome to Norway!
Bjorn, Oslo
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 01:32 AM

What about Portugal? It's perfect for what you're looking for. Besides that, it's my beautiful country
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 01:43 AM

You might try thinking "outside the box," as the cliche goes. A few years ago, my wife and I became interested in the life and works of Heinrich Schliemann, the man who discovered what are purported to be the ruins of ancient Troy. This led us from place to place around the Aegean, from St. Petersburg to Berlin to places he discovered in Greece, to parts of America where he once lived. Instead of exploring places, we re-traced the path of his life. Now we are off this week on another quest and attempting to re-discover the lifework and sites of another long-dead European. It addes an entirely new (and surprising) dimension to travel.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 05:32 AM

I can't believe that nobody has as yet mentioned SPAIN. SPAIN, SPAIN.!!!!

Greece is, of course, a wonderful destination - try Lesbos for an island less visited that lends itself to touring by car. And if you are really thinking tangentially - it could be combined with a trip to Turkey.

Istanbul.

A whole new world.

Old Apr 30th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you who have resoponded so far. these are great ideas and they are really getting my thinking outside the normal (for us) beaten path. I appreciate your suggestions. Lots of stuff to research, which is one of my favorite parts of the trip any way.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 12:47 PM

We're budget travellers who like car trips too. You will really like Eastern Europe. Czech Republic--in additon to Prague, Karlovy Vary (also known as Carlsbad), Telc, Trebon, Cesky Krumlov. Poland--we've only visited Krakow & the southern areas but enjoyed the mountainous area west of the Tatras whose name I've forgotten on the border of C.R. Budapest is one of our all time favorites. From there, take in Eger north of Budapest and then the area around Estergom along the Danube between Budapest and Vienna. If you are adventuresome and don't have high, picky standards for food & lodging, Romania is one of our all time favorites. Some regions are like what Europe must have been like in the early 20th century.

Back to Western Europe. We love Brittany and have explored there a couple time. Have you done the Bamberg, Regensburg, Passau, Wurzburg route in Germany? Andalucia in Spain was delightful too, and it's especially nice because you can go there when the weather elsewhere is not the greatest. Another place we went when the rest of Europe was still crummy was the Cote d'Azur. We took a week long driving trip there. I had been apprehensive because I thought it was just a rich people's playground, but we enjoyed the area quite a bit in the off-season.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -