I'm getting stressed about ordering food in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I speak very little French and I am nervous that I will not know what the heck I am ordering in a restaurant. I am very adventurous and wont be too upset if I get something I dont expect but would like to get what I want! Will most waiters (that speak English) be able to help or explain, how common is it for there to be an English menu? I know I cann just memorize a few favorite things in French but if there is something on the menu I might like but dont comprehend it, I will be upset that I didnt order it if someone around me orders it! Suggestions? Thanks.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 01:08 PM

Do <u>not</u> let this stress you!
No they don't all speak English..and you might not understand the explanation.
First thing you need to do is get a Menu translator, I love the Marling Menu Master.
Read up before you go, carry it with you for quick referrals..
English menus would be common in touristy places that you might not want to go to ...
As long as you can understand the words ( menu translator) then you can just point to the item on the menu when the waiter comes to your table..
Start studying now, it is easy and it can be fun
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 01:11 PM
rex

See http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34600699

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 01:20 PM
ira

Hi N,

&gt; I am very adventurous and wont be too upset if I get something I dont expect ..

Memorize the following:
Ris de veau
andouillette
rognon
tete de veau
pied au cochon
choucroute
saucissons
foie gras de oie
joues de veau
tart flamb&eacute;

You might be pleased or you might be appallled, but you will know what your are getting, and it will be very French.

Old Sep 10th, 2007, 01:20 PM

There is good news....
Almost all (or all?) restaurants will post their menus outside, so you can brwose befoer going in. Get a good menu translation guide (there have been some recommended here) and you will go in knowing what to expect. At lunch, you may see three or four items on a chalkboard in front of the restaurant.

Many restaurants will offer &quot;menus&quot;. These are specials that will typically offer an appetizer, main course and dessert. There may be a couple of selections within each category eg. fish or chicken as the main course. They will also often come in different price ranges. So you may see a 20euro prix fixe menu, a 30 euro prix fixe,etc..If you don't want that, you can order &quot; a la carte&quot;, which gives you total choice. Note that the menus are usually a good deal.

Some restaurants will have english menus, so don't feel intimidated about asking for one.

If you learn the basics of please, thank you, good evening, good bye, the sign language for the bill , this would help.

Wine, water with meal (I do mineral water, but you could get a &quot;carafe d'eau&quot; which is tap water..ordering mineral water may get the question back gaz/no gaz..since you can get flat or gassy water), coffee afterwards (note that a &quot;cafe&quot; could get you an espresso, order &quot;cafe creme&quot.

Keep the questions coming...
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 01:21 PM

I think a lot of waiters can explain something well enough for you to know what it is (beef or fish or whatever), but maybe not the subtleties or all ingredients of something complex. English menus are pretty common in a lot of restaurants in central Paris now, and I don't agree at all with the idea that you may not want to go to them or that they must be a bad restaurant. It is really fairly common now.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 01:22 PM

More and more, there are very few restaurants that do not have menus in English.

It's a good idea to have a look at a comprehensive French Food Glossary (even take one along) and familiarize yourself with foods you do and also do not prefer.

Some waiters are friendlier than others when it comes to translations and assistance. If you see something appealing being served nearby, go ahead and ask the recipient or the waiter.

One good resource is &quot;Eating and Drinking in Paris&quot;.

And, there's http://www.patriciawells.com/glossary/atoz/atoz.htm
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 01:23 PM

I always learn the names of the foods I know I do not want to consume before I travel. The list is not long and, if I see those words on a menu, I just move on. I find this easier than trying to remember everything.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 01:31 PM

not to worry...there is always someone who can speak a little English or they have provisions(menu) ...They do like you to try, I ordered at Cafe Camille in French and my husband in English and our friendly waiter taught him the French way..Yes we had some waiters that were rushed during lunch but mostly they are used to it.I had one manager translate the whole menu so we would be sure of our choices .At Bofinger our waitress gave us instructions on how to eat our Fruit of the Sea. They were wonderful ....You will recognize most of the menu items so just have an idea what you want and ask for recommendations. Learn the essentials like water ,wine glass, please, thank you and &quot;it was very good&quot;!I find the French love to be appreciated...dont we all!!
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 01:36 PM

If you are adventurous, I wouldn't worry too much about it. MrN and I went to a restaurant in Paris recommended by a Parisian co-worker and we were the only tourists in sight, no English menu and very little English spoken there. MrN's high school French got us through the main courses and dessert, but the apps were a mystery, so we just pointed and hoped for the best. When bone marrow and chilled shrimp with avocado (which makes me sick) arrived, we couldn't believe what we'd done. But I tried the bone marrow and picked out the shrimp and the rest of our meal was one of the best of our trip. While I wasn't crazy about bone marrow, it did inspire me to be a little more adventurous in my eating and I had some great meals because of it. I think Judy's advice is good, but don't be afraid to try something unknown!
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 01:47 PM

I agree with the Patricia Wells resource recommendation -- buy &quot;A Food Lovers Guide to Paris.&quot; The suggestion to memorize the French words for a few foods that you like/dislike is a good one -- that way you won't expect veal scallopine when you order ris de veau (veal kidneys). Avoid any restaurants that openly display a menu in English or have a sticker on the door that says they've been recommended by Rick Steves.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 01:51 PM

Sorry Callebaut...ris de veau is veal sweetbreads...rognons de veau is veal kidneys!
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 01:58 PM

I beg to differ with hypatia. A few years ago we ate at a small family restaurant slightly north of the intersection of Rue St Roch and Rue St Honore (1st Arrondissement). The small menu was only on a blackboard and no English translation.

The waitress who was also the cashier and chef's wife could not translate one of the items, a veal(veau)
dish but attempted to show us where the meat was from by giving an anatomy lesson. One of the occupants of another table volunteered it was kidney.

It was delicious.

Old Sep 10th, 2007, 02:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

dbooks... thanks for the glossary link!
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 02:19 PM

All I can say is that you must get crepes! I got a crepe with ham, cheese, and mushrooms in it while I was in Montmartre, and it was perfect. I think as long as you make an effort to speak at least a little French, you won't have a problem!
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 02:26 PM

Don't stress out. Even after several trips to Paris, the only language I can speak is English. And last year I went with someone who is deaf (but reads lips)! Everyone was super accomodating.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 02:54 PM

There are plenty of places in Europe where it can be stressful to order food, but Paris is NOT one of them.

Like everyone else has said, most places will have English menus, but even if they don't, if you look like you are struggling with the menu, the waiter can help you -- if not, he/she will send someone over who speaks English and can help you out. You will be fine. And if you're reasonably adventurous, that means there is even less reason to stress over this.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 03:08 PM
L4C

Ris de veau = sweetbreads = pancreas &amp; thymus glands of a calf.

L.

PS ... = delicious!
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 03:12 PM

We print out the Patricia Wells guide, double sided, 2 pages to a page and take it to every restaurant.
I love French food but I like to know what I'm eating!
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 03:21 PM

Just make life easy and go the few McDonald's around town. I think there is one in the Left Bank area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -