Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I'm addicted to Fodor's! I'm on so much that my wife thinks I'm having an on-line affair!

Search

I'm addicted to Fodor's! I'm on so much that my wife thinks I'm having an on-line affair!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm retired, but my wife still works, so I'm probably on and off Fodor's 50 times during the day if I'm not working at my part-time job. When my wife comes home from work, I'll still get on the computer once or twice during the night and before bed. She said the other night, " I think you must be having an affair with someone on Fodors, you are always on that thing!" Now my DW knows I'm not, but she knows I'm also on during the day and she just doesn't get it. I'm addicted and even though I don't write many responses, I'm always here reading and watching! Anyone else on this site too much?
Dave
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 07:01 AM

Me...almost !!!
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 07:05 AM

A fellow addict here, too. I must be on about 50 times a day as well - cannot bear to miss anything! I am a homemaker (no kids) so that is one of the many ways I choose to spend my time.

When I hear my husband arriving home from work I leap up from the desk and frantically pretend to do the dishes or something...
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 07:06 AM

My h. calls it 'your chat room' in a vaguely derisive-teasing tone.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 07:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Dave, Wait until you start writing more replies... then you'll REALLY be hooked
;-) suze
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 07:11 AM

another addict here having an "online affair"!
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 07:13 AM

Me too! Sadly, I don't have much time to add to the comments, although I do know Athens and other parts of Greece really well, but I've made a WONDERFUL friend on Fodor's and we write to each other regularly. It's not like the 'pen friends' kids used to have in different countries, is it? LOL (Does that mean 'Laugh out loud' by the way??)
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 08:11 AM

I am on way too much, too. When I first started lurking on the forums to research a trip, I thought that I was bad spending so much time reading here, but was not as bad as these losers whose names I kept seeing popping up on the posts all the time. What, didn't they have a life? Well, paste a big L on my forehead, because i have joined their ranks!

Unfortunately, in addition to my not getting to other necessary things I should, I also find that my computer addiction is making me more tense, because I keep going to check the screen, instead of just focusing on other things around the house. (I too am a stay-at-home mom). I keep telling myself I should just shut down the internet.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 08:49 AM

Skatedancer, I so understand! It makes me tense, too. I find myself wording future responses or posts in my mind in advance! That is why I choose not to turn on the computer first thing in the morning (I wait at least an hour.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 09:06 AM

I'm so glad it's not only me. I dont write much but I check in obsessively!!
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Glad to see I'm not alone on this.

dave
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 12:39 PM

I now understand how addiction works. I too check Fodor,s a few times a day. I love reading the posts and have gotten great tips on traveling. I just returned from a 3 week trip to Italy and got much very valuable tips on where,when and how on everything from car rentals to resturants to tours etc.etc.etc. I am now reading all new posts to hepl me in deciding about my next trip. Thanks to all you Fodorite,s for all the help.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 01:19 PM

My husband and kids love to tease me about this too. But they love the info I get for our trips. Recently, my husband had has to travel quite a bit for work and guess what, he is finding this and trip advisor quite helpful with hotel info. So now I get to tease him
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 01:53 PM

I work part-time from home, so my obsession is more obviously to DH and the kids. They have this sing-songy "she's on Fodor's" chant. But I can't tell you how many times they've turned to me for travel answers that I've gotten from Fodor's!
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 01:56 PM

Hahaha! Yeah, my husband teased me about my 'chat room' when I first started reading Fodor's. Now he brags about how I can plan trips for everyone! I have absolutely no trips to Europe in my immediate future (sob) but I read this board a half dozen times a day! I have two trips in the US planned for this year but I hardly ever read the US board! My addiction is very specific.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 02:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, since we moved I too have been spending way too much time on-line and especially on Fodors...

after spying over my shoulder one night my husband asked who this "Ira" is that I am having an affair with and where does he live...

I have assured him that "Ira" has a "lady-wife" he is quite happy with somewhere far away like Atlanta.

Nonetheless, I do have to jump off the computer when the family arrives home or at least pretend I'm doing all this travel research for them

After a particularly busy evening on Fodors, when I finally come to bed my husband rolls over and says, "where are you going off to now?"

Thank god he's such a good sport.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 02:06 PM

One of my friends refers to Fodors as imaginary friends. She doesn't remember that I have found real friends here, too.

I come on here time to time during the day to see what's what in he world.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 02:28 PM

Im new in the game, but I blame this site for not making my exams this year, hihi
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 04:49 PM

I too am a fodors addict. I get on here quite often, but it depends on my work and school schedule, as most of my free time involves one or the other! But I love fodors...its so nice to find people who love to travel as much as I do. Its certainly addicting!

Tracy
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 04:52 PM

I should have added that I'm sure my husband finds fodors quite annoying because every couple of days I will read a trip report or a post and decide that I "have to go there"...and I keep adding to the list! But on the flip side he loves fodors because if it wasn't for trip reports and pics we never would have discovered Croatia and Montenegro!

Tracy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -