Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you had only six months to live, where would you travel to?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ask this of a few friends and was interested in the answers. I, myself, would go to Portugal..for many reasons...I suppose people remember certain places, not because they saw and did so much, but that they were happy there.

Also, I remember the food, liked it or not, and the people we met that were memorable.

Does anyone else love Portugal?
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 12:38 PM

Assuming that I would be spending my future in someplace hot, I suppose that I would travel to a cold climate like Germany in the winter.

Regards, Gary
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 01:04 PM

Bali.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 01:06 PM

If I'm fit enough can I go to more than one place please?
Firstly I'd go back to Tanzania for a safari. Then I'd go to the US, California most likely, say goodbye to my friends there and enjoy the scenery. Finally I'd go back to the UK, and visit places that mean a lot to me,and say goodbye to my brothers.

If I could only choose one it would have to be the UK, though Tanzania would be a close second.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 01:15 PM

I've been to the UK and other parts of Europe many times and love it - the UK (especially northern Scotland and Wales and northern England) would be up there on my list. I is where I most feel at home, even more so than in Canada.

However, I have not yet been to Egypt, Jordan or Turkey so would do that first. I would go in off season when it is cooler as I cannot tolerate heat! THEN I would go to the UK yet again for the remainder of the time. Oh, and while there, I would grab some flights to Eastern Europe (Poland, Lithuania, Belarus, etc.).

Old Jul 18th, 2008, 01:15 PM

Some place dangerous, because it wouldn't matter anymore if I didn't make it back.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 01:17 PM

Straight for the best medical care I could find.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 01:18 PM

"I'd go back to the UK, and visit places that mean a lot to me,and say goodbye to my brothers."

I once heard that Norwegians, who could actually see the fog-shrouded British Isles from Norway on a clear day, believed that when one died, one went to the UK.

That always rang a bell with me. I'll be interested to find out if they were right.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 01:50 PM

<i>Straight for the best medical care I could find.</i>

Or, rather: afford. But I think the spirit of the question is that all known therapies, including &quot;clinical trials,&quot; have failed to cure what ails ya.

<u>Then</u> where would you go?

I would go where Richard Feynman went when he got his death warrant: Tannu Tuva.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 01:57 PM

I know what they meant, but we had a serious conversation about this very thing a while back in our office, and there was a sharp line between the dreamers and the realists. For a number of reasons, I have been trying to be less of a dreamer.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 02:03 PM

Clarasong: Funny you should post that you love Portugal. I do too, and I just posted a suggestion to tcreath that Portugal in February would be a great destination for her. We have been all over Portugal (well, almost) and would love to go back. Not sure if that would be my final destination, as that is more of a metaphysical question for me. Let me think about it.Maybe I'd just go visit my favorite people in the world: in UK, Netherlands, Connecticut, and right around home.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 02:12 PM

I know in my heart my beloved DH would pack me up, take me to visit our family at all their homes and then we would head straight away to Italy.

We would toast all of you. We would toast to it all.

It is there I would die with a smile on my face.

Old Jul 18th, 2008, 02:17 PM

I would definitely travel to Australia and New Zealand. I want to go there now, but I simply can't get enough time off from work to go. (I want at least 6 weeks.)

I am afraid I will not see the Sydney Opera House before I retire (in 20 years).

Thin
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 04:33 PM

Assuming I'm well enough to travel -- questionable if I had only six months to live -- my first priority would be Mykonos/Santorini. Throw in a little Venice, Tuscany, Provence (because I've not been there yet), Amsterdam, and the Cotswolds. Maybe after all this I will gain the will to get better so I could continue traveling.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 05:11 PM

The Greek Isles and back to Rome which is my favorite city in the world. I have been to Rome 2 times,but never to the Greek Isles. Maybe a cruise next year.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 07:51 PM

There are a lot of places I would like to see like South America, Ireland, Eastern Europe, etc. But if I only had 6 months to live I would spend more of the time seeing people I love not places.

---

Chris Christensen
Amateur Traveler podcast - http://AmateurTraveler.com
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 07:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I think if you only have 6 months, should not be from here. Follow your dreams share theem with your loved ones but not here.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 08:21 PM

I have said before that if I had a limited time to live I would want to go sit on my favorite bench overlooking my favorite view over Lake Ullswater in England's Lake District, munching on Grasmere gingerbread and sharing it with the goats grazing nearby.

Two years ago, my husband surprised me with a beautiful framed photo of this very spot, so now I can &quot;be there&quot; any time.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 10:12 PM

I would revisit the places I have been to in Greece, Italy and France. Whatever time I had left would be in Paris hopefully surrounded by friends and family who could make the trip from Sydney with me.

Old Jul 18th, 2008, 10:47 PM

I dislike this question.

Many of us have been faced with just this possiblity and it is very frightening.

I for one don't appreciate the light heartened nature of the question.

I hope that no one here will need to make that decision in the near future and certainly not feel the need to share that decision for the benefit of those on a travel board.

Been there and am now a six year survivor.

susan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -