If you had an extra ten days...

Oct 28th, 2001, 09:02 AM
Mare

If you had an extra ten days...

My husband and I had to reschedule a trip to Paris, and our ten days in November have turned into three weeks in April. We need about eight days to see everything we want in Paris, as well as Giverney and Bruges, Belgium. So minus the two travel days, we still have about ten days left. We are considering a trip to London, but have been all over the UK and are open to other options. Where would you go if you were in our shoes, taking into account the time of year and the fact that we are flying into and out of Paris? (Not really interested in Amsterdam or Brussels.) Thanks!

Oct 28th, 2001, 09:10 AM
Santa Chiara

Have you been to other places in France? I was on a bike trip in the Burgandy region this summer, and I fell in love with this area. I also took side trips to Dijon and Lyon. Great places. France has so many other areas to visit, too. I am sure you could fill up three weeks.
Have a great time.

Oct 28th, 2001, 09:22 AM
Bob Brown

I think a lot of your decision depends whether or not you like outside activities like skiing or inside activities like visiting museums and attending musical performances.
Even in April there is still skiing in the Alps. If you are not into that type activity, many of the major cities of Europe have many music events.
The weather can continue cool that time of year with Paris being sometimes cloudy and damp.
Have you considered visiting Ticino region of Switzerland and some of the cities of Italy like Venice, Florence, and possibly Milan??
Because you are flying in and out of Paris that may preclude your visiting cities like Vienna, Prague and Budapest.

I flew into Paris two years ago and worked by train my across France, Switzerland, Austria all the way to Vienna. From Vienna I flew back to Paris for my flight back to Atlanta.
So it is doable if you don't mind a little train riding.

Oct 28th, 2001, 10:34 AM
cmt

Since you'll be in France, I'd go to either the Dordogne region or Provence.

Oct 28th, 2001, 10:39 AM
pastis

If you have never driven the coastline of France from Honfleur to Bierritz(spelling maybe off) you are missing one beautiful ride.

Oct 28th, 2001, 04:16 PM
kmarie

Mare--
If you are interested in horticulture, you might want to take advantage of the opportunity to see the Floriade in Harlemmermeer, the Netherlands. An internatinal exhibition that's held once every ten years, it's scheduled for 6 April - 20 October, 2002. No, I've never been, but I'd love to visit the Netherlands in the spring to enjoy the spectacular fields of blooms...
Then, I might head toward Normandy and Brittany...
A search on Google will lead you to a number of sites on the Floriade.

Oct 28th, 2001, 05:10 PM
JFM

If it were me and I was not going to stay in France for those ten days, I would go to Barcelona and/or Andalucia in Spain. Weather should be pretty nice in April.

Oct 28th, 2001, 06:37 PM
Christina

I'd go to Provence, the weather should be nice down there and it's easy to get back to Paris by TGV train in a few hours to return home (although I probably wouldn't try it the day my flight left, unless my flight left in late afternoon).

Oct 28th, 2001, 06:51 PM
Mare

Thanks so much for all of the great suggestions. The horticultural exhibition could be something my husband would really like. I would probably like Bob's itinerary, but it might be ambitious for first time train travelers. You've given me a lot to think about. It's so hard to choose!