Thank You - UK & Ireland

Oct 26th, 2001, 09:43 AM
Deb

Thank You - UK & Ireland

I just want to take the opportunity to thank the people of England, Ireland, and Scotland. My husband and I spent several weeks traveling in these countries and enjoyed every minute. The people we met and the hospitality we were shown was the best.
A special thank you to the staff at the SAS ST.Helen's Hotel in Dublin for making us feel like royalty. After the September 11th attack on America we were debating whether we even wanted to go on this trip. I am very glad that we did not let the attack stop us from going and would encourage others to visit these wonderful countries as well.

Oct 26th, 2001, 09:47 AM
Julie

Glad you enjoyed it Deb. Tell us a bit more about where you went and what made it so special?

Julie

Oct 27th, 2001, 02:06 PM
Shadow

Yes, details, we want details!! We would love to hear about your trip!
Shadow

Oct 27th, 2001, 03:16 PM
Deb

Well here goes! We started our trip in London and stayed in a hotel near Victoria station which was very handy. We got around mostly on foot or by using the Underground. Some of the sites we saw were Buckingham Palace (missed the changing of the guard), Trafalgar Square, Big Ben and the House of Parliament, Tower of London, Tower Bridge, St.Paul's Cathedral, British Museum, Harrods, Westminister Abbey (a big favorite), and Kensington Palace. We both loved London and we made a point of trying to visit as many pubs as possible. We then picked up the rental car and headed to Windsor Castle which became another of our favorite memories. We stayed in Salisbury at the Red Lion Hotel where the people were very friendly. Seeing we were so close we had to stop and view Stonehenge and then we headed to Bath, England. This is truly a lovely town and I would of liked more time to explore. We then traveled through southern Wales to Pembroke to catch a ferry to Ireland. We had some time to spare so we explored Pembroke and the castle. While in Ireland we had to stop at Blarney Castle and kiss the blarney stone. We spent some time in Killarney and found Killarney National Park to be breathtaking. We drove the Ring of Kerry and then headed north to Limerick. We went to Bunratty Castle and Folk Park and really enjoyed a look back in history. In Dublin we stayed at the SAS St.Helen's Hotel which was fantastic and we parked the car and took cabs in Dublin to give my husband a break from driving. In Dublin we walked all over and saw many sites. My husband really enjoyed the Guinness tour as he is a huge fan of guinness. We got back on the ferry and headed back to the UK. In Liverpool we stayed on Albert Dock and took in the Beatles Story. We were both big Beatles fans back in the sixties and still enjoy their music. We headed to Scotland for the last part of our trip and I truly fell in love with this country. We stayed at a fantastic hotel called the Braid Hills Hotel that overlooked Edinburgh. The hospitality was super and the food was really good. You can't go to Edinburgh without seeing the Castle and wandering down the Royal Mile. We took a day trip up to St.Andrews to see the old course and bought some golf souvenirs. I looked for Prince William in St.Andrews but he wasn't about. We saw and did a lot of great things and every where we went the people were gracious and friendly. There is so much of these countries we did not get to see so someday we will be back.

Oct 28th, 2001, 09:46 PM
Shadow

Deb-thanks so much for the trip report!
Your trip sounds wonderful-glad you had a great time! My mom lives in Ireland and I feel so "at home" there but I also enjoy England, Wales and Scotland.
There is just never enough time....
Again, thanks for the fun of reading your report!
Shadow