Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you had 6 days in Holland,besides Amsterdam-where would you spend time?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last minute trip to the Netherlands for myself,husband and 26 year old son who is taking the train from Frankfurt for the week to meet us.We are leaving on Friday(tomorrow) and will hopefully be renting a car at the AMS airport.We have all done Amsterdam so don't want to stay in the city but experience surrounding areas.

I love the Hague as I have layed over there quite a bit so want hubs and son to do a few days there?Besides the Hague-is there a particular city that you would recommend. We love history,eating and sights to see that are interesting.
Daughter is interested(but not going this trip) in going to grad school in Utrecht-do you recommend going over there to see it and spend a night?
With the price of gas, I don't want to be driving far distances and burn the gas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to any comments as I am doing my laundry waiting for your responses!
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 06:31 AM

Utrecht is definitely worth a visit - you can do it as a day trip from Amsterdam or stay there a night.
Other areas to visit include Friesland, base your selves in one of the towns or villages there and enjoy the countryside, take a trip to one of the islands, either just a day trip or stay overnight. I'd recommend either Vlieland (no cars allowed) or Terschelling, getting the ferry from Harlingen, where you can stay. ( A couple of good retsaurants in the town - Nooitgedagt is a good cafe-restaurant, and Gastronoom is a good restaurant.) Visit Franekeer if you do go to Friesland, and see the wooden plantentarium. There are some lovely old towns and villages all along the Waddensee and the Ijsselmeer. You could combine this with a trip to Urk, a former island, and now lively fishing village, Schokland, another former island, and Unesco site, Blokzijl, but then you are perhaps using too much petrol.
Or head for Limburg and visit Maastricht and enjoy the hilly countryside there, maybe with a day trip into Belgium or Germany.
If you want to base your self in Den Haag then Utrecht is still a day trip away, plus you have Delft, Leiden and of course Rotterdam close by. For countryside head to the Biesbosch, or into Zeeland.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 06:43 AM

dutyfree:

I've got a full day ahead of me, but I usually scan the forum when I arise this early (my time)....and there you were.

We especially liked visiting the small towns north and northeast of Amsterdam....Edam, Volendam and further east, Urk and Giethorn (an exceptionally pretty town laced with canals. Look at a map and you'll see there is a casuseway going across the Isselmeer which will get you from the Edam/Volendam area to Urk, then on to Giethorn. I think you'll like this one or two day trip.

Utrecht is a major Dutch city... we stayed there for a night and found it to be very pleasant. Recently hosted some lovely Utrechtians here in California...their first visit to USA.

The Kinderdijk windmills just outside of Rotterdam present an interesting sight...and Delft appealed to us (where a visit to the famed porcelain factory is in order)

Of course, the renowned Keukenhoff gardens are beautiful and close to Amsterdam...it's past tulip season, but there will be a riot of color there. The setting is lovely.

Whatever you decide, having your son along will make it all a pleasure.

Enjoy.

Stu T.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Do you think that we could do this trip without a car? My husband is already "fussing" about a rental as I just had to get one last week in Germany and it was exensive with gas/insurance.
I know that I can get around the Hague with the tram passes but if I remember correctly the trains start adding up when you have 3 people?

Any hotels you liked? Thanks!
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 07:54 AM

Haarlem and Delft are IMO the finest Dutch regional towns - in Delft you can tour the Delftware plants and see the world-famous porcelain being made.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Major question-we are arriving at AMS airport and son is coming from Frankfurt by train.
Is it more feasible to forgo the rental car and just train around?Also,do you think that with train fares and trying to meet him in AMS at the central station that we should find another spot to meet up?

Whats the best city(Hague,Utrecht or someplace else) to spend a Saturday and Sunday-thinking that alot may be close up?Thanks!
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 08:04 AM

Stores are now it seems open on Sundays in towns like those.

Utrecht is hopping on Saturdays when a large open-air market unfolds - a great town with the famous Old Gracht canal and cathedral, etc.

If going to cities take the train IMO or pay steep parking fees (about $30/day in Amsterdam for example) - trains are fantastic - twice hourly or so to all main cities. No parking hassles, etc.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Would you schedule Utrecht for the weekend then instead of the Hague?
I am sooooo sorry for all of the questions (husband just left for the library to get some Holland books for me to use)!

Should we just take the train(me with REALLy bad knees and hubs with bad back) out to Utrecht or Hague and have son meet us there instead? Are we missing out on the countryside without the car?
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 08:15 AM

Are we missing out on the countryside without the car?>

not IMO if you take the main direct route - same as in the train as roads run roughly parallel

But if you seek out back roads you could en route to The Hague slice thru the flower fields around Lisse

Not much en route to Utrecht

getting from a car park would be the same it seems as getting out of the train station (actually one of the biggest car parks is at the train station, which abuts a huge shopping mall)
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 09:27 AM

Youare in my opinion missing out on countryside without a car. You can take the motorway from Schiphol to Utrecht, or you can take the quieter, scenic route.
Utrecht shops are not open every Sunday, unlike Amsterdam. They will not be open on the Sunday of your trip. The Den Haag shops in the centre will be.
If you base yourself in any of the major cities (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Den Haag or Utrecht) you can get around well by train - but it will very quickly start to add up. Parking is expensive in the cities, and in Amsterdam it is difficult. Hotels may or may not have a free car park. Utrecht has excellent parking in the centre, but also the train station is in the shopping mall. If you wish to see the uni in Utrecht you will need a car or take a bus as it is outside the city centre. Utrecht Uni has an excellent reputation and is the best in the Netherlands btw.
If you have a car you can go to Giethoorn or Urk, or Friesland, or Zeeland, and see something of the real Netherlands on the way. I'd even offer to act as your guide for a day!
If you wish to choose just one base, but also want to see more than just the usual suspects then I recommend staying in (or around) Utrecht. It is in the centre of the country, with excellent train/motorway links. Your son could even get the train there rather that to Amsterdam. If you want the usual things then stay in Den Haag or Amsterdam.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 10:23 AM

We based in Haarlem and were very glad we did. Utrecht was an excellent side trip and we would consider staying there next time. Enjoyed Delft too.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 10:57 AM

I 2 have based in Haarlem - a really neat low-key (vs loud brash Amsterdam) with great train links to everywhere
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone-the game plan is to spend three nights in the Hague(wanted a real day there so we could see the World Court possibly in action?) and then I am trying to find a hotel in Utrecht for two nights that is not $400 and then the last night or two in Haarlem-hubs suddenly wants to do Amsterdam since he has not been there for 35 years...what?????
If anyone has a suggestion for lodging for 3 persons in either Utrecht or Haarlem-please advise ASAP!
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 03:21 PM

We stayed 6 nights at Stempels Hotel and could not have been more pleased - we had a room in the superior category. It was beautiful and perfect in every respect and not at all expensive - well under 150 Euro last May. If you go there ask for a room on a higher floor - there is an elevator. The windows are double glazed. The breakfast buffet was 13 Euro and worth it. Everything fresh and of the highest quality. Their web site is spot on. You can see additional pictures of the Hotel at www.flickr.com/photos/basingstoke2/sets click on the Stempels set.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 03:56 PM

All great suggestions - oftentimes when we are in that part of Europe, we will take a few days @ the beach (usually in Belgium) in Oostende or one of its neighbors.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Where is the STempel hotel?
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Okay,found the Stempel but they have no vacancies. Actually quite a few of the hotels that I have contacted out of Rick Steves,Fodors and Frommers are not available-there are not alot of choices in any of them for Utrecht or Haarlem.

If ANYONE knows of a hotel,B and B in the above cities for this next week that they can recommend-PLEASE let me know so I can check.There are three of us so want to either get a double room with added rollaway or a triple. We can do anything at this point. I really don't want to go over 150-175 euros as that is really stretching the budget. Thanks again everyone!
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 04:57 AM

Have you checked the Ambassador Hotel in Haarlem. It is well located on the Grote Markt,just around the corner from Stempels. It should be well within your price range. I believe that they have combined with Joops Hotel.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 06:11 AM

The Haarlem Tourist Office - VVV has a list of hotels and B&Bs: (I stayed at the Carlton on the main square and highly recommend it - not real fancy but huge breakfast and friendly hosts.

VVV Haarlem in Haarlem
- [ Translate this page ]
VVV Haarlem Stationsplein 1 2011LR Haarlem. Telefoon, 0900 - 616 1600. Fax, 023 - 534 05 37 ... toeristische informatie in Noord-Holland - uitgids Haarlem ...
www.ertussenuit.com/details/3407.htm
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 06:35 AM

Many of the Haarlem Hotels that you would find listed seem to be around the main square. One exception is the Golden Tulip which is next to the train station. Although convenient for train travel, I would not recommend the area in that it is noisy and has no ambiance.

In terms of using Haarlem as a base, the walk from the main square to the train station is about 10 minutes - for the most part it is an interesting walk. The trip into Amsterdam is 15 minutes (3 stations). The trains are about 4 an hour so we did not pay any attention to schedules. The main bus station is just outside of the train station and there is a bus to the airport. Taxi to the airport is about 50 Euro. You can also take a train to the airport but I think the bus is less complicated as it does not require a change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -