Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you could stay *anywhere* in Venice...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Gina

Okay, I'm revising my Venice honeymoon hotel question of a couple of months ago. Fi and I talked over our price range and decided that for the Venice stay, we're just going to splurge and worry about eating Ramen noodles later. So I'm taking out all reference to price range and asking: what, in your opinion, is the *best* hotel in Venice, price not a factor? If you were going to Venice on a honeymoon and could stay anywhere, where would it be (and what room would you ask for, if a specific room)?<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR><BR>Gina

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Tom

I'd opt to stay at Europa & Regina again in a heartbeat. It's a great hotel in the best location. Ask for a room with a canal view and some even have large balconies with tables and chairs, chaise lounge etc. I was fortunate to get one last time by requesting ahead. I'm sorry I don't recall the exact room number but it was a corner room....only thing I want you to be aware of with that room (since you are on your honeymoon) is that it had 2 twin beds. Oh well, this is what your imagination is for! Our stay here was awful close to heaven!! Tom

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 01:21 PM
sandy

That's a hard question. I'd stay in the Danielei just for the lobby. It is unbelievably beautiful. I'd stay in a Junior Suite at Il Palazzo on the top floor, with a terrace overlooking the Grand Canal and Santa Maria della Salute in one direction and the Academia Bridge in the other. I'd stay at the Cipriani because it is one of the world's most romantic hotels, and because the private launch takes you away from the hullabaloo of San Marco. I'd stay at the Pensione Accademia to feel like a kid again, carefree and unpretentious. What do YOU like?

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Andy

Do NOT worry about 2 twin beds anywhere- they are NOT bolted to the floor-<BR>All you need to do is move the nite stand and push the beds together- VOILA-a King bed--<BR><BR>we do it all over Europe!<BR><BR>For a quaint room filled with Murano crystal chandelier and Italian painted furniture AND not too expensive, we stayed at the FLORA- right off St.Marks Sq--great location and won't break the bank--in the heart of eveything--

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Gina Have been using<BR>the Saturnia for the last couple of trips, howevere am extremely interested in the Locanda Cipriani on Torcello,<BR>had lunch there, appeared old, rustic<BR>but had something that would like me to<BR>try it sometime.. Richard of LaGrange Park, Il.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 02:54 PM
John G

I have always stayed at Cipriani in Venice, so I have nothing to compare it to. Either my company or my sister have paid for me to stay here, however, because a nice room is almost $1000 a night. The reason I like Cipriani so much is because of its isolation, the fact that it has the only swimming pool in Venice (swimming early in the morning helps me cope with jet lag), and the private launch always at your disposal.<BR><BR>The Danieli has an absolutely beautiful lobby, but I don't know what the rooms look like. If I were going to stay here, I would love a room with a window on Riva Schiavoni for a marvelous view of the canal.<BR><BR>I think any hotel room in Venice would be fabulous as long as you have a view of the canal. That is the most important thing to me.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Wayne

I would suppose none of us has stayed in every luxury hotel in Venice, so all recommendations come with some kind of knowledge of one or two specifics and a lot of speculation about some generalities. With that in mind, I would suggest the top floor of the Metropole, looking out over the lagoon, with a little balcony from which you can look back across the southern part of Venice, the Salute church, and other sights like the Grand Canal itself. I have indeed stayed in that room and loved it; thought I might have to buy the room because my wife didn't want to leave. And the Metropole is a great hotel, with wonderful service, a sort of old-fashioned luxury, and the world's best lunch buffet.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 08:08 AM
Gina

Thanks for all the input! Wayne, you're making me drool with your description of the views from your Metropole room. If we ask for a room on the top floor there, do they all have similar views/balconies, or do we need to ask for a specific room? I've heard wonderful things about the Metropole. What about the Luna Baglioni? Anyone stayed there?

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 08:09 AM
lisa

dont stay at the hotel kette-tiny, dark, and no views.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 08:57 AM
Sandee

I spent my honeymoon in a beautiful hotel called the Europa and Regina (I hope I remember this correctly). It was Really expensive for our budget but boy was it great. It was arranged by a travel agent so I'm sorry I don't know the details. Sandee