Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you could choose only one monument to have ever visited, which would it be?

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 05:28 AM
Andrea

OK, rephrasing in a desperate attempt to attract people to this thread. I know, I'm pathetic.

I thought this might be fun, but have had no nibbles on original post. There is an Internet poll at www.new7wonders.com to determine what should be the New 7 Wonders of the World. Over 2 million people have already voted. The poll is legit, done in conj. w. UNESCO, I have nothing to do with it, and it is not commercial.

I just thought it might be fun to see what the well-travelled Fodorites would choose.

My picks were:

Angkor Wat
The Eiffel Tower
The Roman Colosseum
The Great Wall of China
The Taj Mahal
The Kremlin and Red Square
The Statue of Liberty

But if no one's interested I'll just hang my head in shame and not try again to start a fun thread . . . (for a month or two anyway)

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 05:43 AM
Judy

Hi Andrea, I am always interested in fun threads(actually almost all threads, I am easy). I would like the Arc d'Triomphe added too( I like the war memorial aspect of it. I love the Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial(my fav. American Monument). I think your list is thorough,,,,,love the Eiffel(in a heavy metal way). Judy

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 06:12 AM
Gigi

Well, Andrea,
How about the pyramids in Egypt? I think they should be on the list.
Or, are they already?
The Great Wall of China is proably my first vote.
Thanks for a fun thread!

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 04:03 PM
dan woodlief

I would say the Great Wall is my favorite of the ones I have visited. I think the Lincoln Memorial is the most meaningful I have visited.

I would add the ruins at Palenque, Mexico.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 04:16 PM
Cindy

I enjoyed a beautiful war memorial in Germany, maybe East Berlin, although I can't possibly remember the name. It honored Russian soldiers who gave their lives during World War II. It was the first time I ever really focused on the terrible devastation Russia suffered in the war. I guess that's one thing a war memorial is supposed to do, so this one really served its purpose.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 04:24 PM
Capo

In my opinion, the most amazing modern wonder of the world is that George W. Bush somehow became president of the United States. :~)

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 04:26 PM
Amy

Piskarevskoye (sp?) Cemetary in St. Petersburg, with Mother Russia mourning the dead from the 900 day seige of Leningrad in WW II.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 05:19 PM
Bob

The most moving monument I ever visited was the grave of the uncle I never knew that died in WWII and is buried in France. It put a very personal touch to all the large monuments that honor thousands.

As a VietNam era vet, the monument in Washington was also very moving.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 05:29 PM
me

Gettysburg certainly must touch Americans.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 05:36 PM
Laurie

Definitely the Colosseum in Rome!

As goes the saying...
When the Colosseum falls, Rome falls, and with it- the world.