Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If vacationing occupies your mind more than most things, does that indicate a problem?????

Search

If vacationing occupies your mind more than most things, does that indicate a problem?????

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Lila

Just curious. I have a life, a decent job, good boyfriend, etc. etc. But I log onto this board about 10X a day- I am obsessed with traveling, thoughts of travel, planning vacations etc.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 07:49 AM
hee hee

only ten times?<BR><BR>where is the problem?

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 07:51 AM
Sonia

Hell, I must be sick too then!

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Selena

I live in "vacation land" all the time. I am daydreaming of Italy constantly. I look at maps all the time and I collect travel books. <BR> " Calgon Take Me Away"<BR>

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Lila

So I guess we all have the same "problem." But, the question is, if your life is REALLY fulfilling, would we be like this? I said I have a decent job (not great). Do people who love their job value travel as much? Does anyone love their job? I guess this isn't the place to try to figure it out but it's nice to know other people do the same things!!!

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Karen

Hi Lila,<BR><BR>This thread amused me. I feel traveling is an important part of my life many reasons. I love my job, have great friends, do lots of things (organized sports, volunteering etc), but I still love to think about traveling.<BR><BR>I think of it this way: I travel for the same reasons that I: play racquetball (because it's fun); take graduate classes (to learn); visit museums in my home of Washington, DC (to broaden my horizons). <BR><BR>It's not that we want to get away from our lives, it's that we want to enhance them, in whatever form that may take.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Christine

I confess; I secretly go on trips and lie to my friends about where I am, i.e. going to visit my sister, etc.<BR>The sign on my personal bulletin board at work reads:<BR>"When your mind travels does it prefer window or aisle?" It's a slogan from one of the travel websites.<BR>I am addicted to frequent flyer miles and travel for the sole purpose of earning them. <BR>Travel is my passion and I have no friends that understand it. Thank you for bringing this out in the open.<BR>Don't change Lila, you're not alone.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Barb

If this is a disease then I'm happy being sick. I love to travel and enjoy the postings on this board as well. Planning a trip to London as I type. It keeps me sane during the long days at work.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Michael

I'm 49 yrs old and I have had 2 or 3 hobbies over the years that take up my free time for awile and then I tire of them. The advantage to this hobby is that my family gets to enjoy it with me.<BR>As far as anyone who loves their job, I have met very few people who could come close to voicing those words. It's a media fabricated phrase such as "soulmate". <BR> For me nothing surpasses the feeling of visiting a famous place for the first time and having the experience exceed your expectations. Just my two cents.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Ron

If you minimize your browser instead of closing it ten times a day then it only counts as one hit. At least I don't try to browse fodors on my web-enabled phone!<BR>Those minutes stuck in traffic are also good for taking mental vacations or planning the next one.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 09:25 AM
orgy7

I've been a travel junky since I was a kid..<BR><BR>I often say I wish I were adicted too crack instead. it would be cheaper...<BR><BR>I'm bad. <BR><BR>-I recieved a degree in travel/tourism managment not becouse I wanted too be in the industy or cared about taking care tourist, I just wanted free trips <BR><BR>-my whole room is covered with mapes. travel guides. and souvaneers <BR><BR>every decision I make in anything. like buying toilet paper I relate it too travel.. I think "OK this costs $2 so how will this affect my next trip too mongolia".. <BR><BR>and if thats not bad enough. even in considering a girlfraind I think of how she will affect my travels.. if she isn't up too move around then it's over..<BR><BR>I need a fix NOQW..

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Mike

My wife and I are addicted to travel. Some people buy nice toy's, we travel. But I own a small business and my partner just left the company two months ago. The place really can't run without me here, so I can't travel for more then three days anymore and its driving me nuts. I'll pick a destination find hotel rates and airline rates, and just think, someday. I have plenty of time, I'm only 26, but I want to see everything before we have kids. Well thanks for letting me vent. I'm still addicted to Fodors though, I love to read about all the different places in the world.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 09:51 AM
xx

ttt

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 12:05 PM

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 12:23 PM
SiD

I find traveling a way to get away and clear the mind and live life.<BR><BR>Planning for the travel and the anticipation is the best part!!

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 12:39 PM
xx

I am xx, and I am sick also! I guess I really don't lead a very exciting life in the real world but when I travel it is wonderful!! Better than...

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 12:46 PM
work

I can only go to work because I think it is contributing to my next trip.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Lesli

Well, I like to think that I work to live, rather than living to work. Life for me definitely includes leisure travel - as much as possible.<BR><BR>There was a great editorial letter in one of my travel magazines a couple of months ago that pointed out the fact that many/most US companies give 2 weeks' vacation for the first 5 or so years of employment, with maybe another week for the next 10 years after that. Almost no one ever gets to the 4-week point. <BR><BR>While in the UK, France, Australia, Italy, and most of the Western world, most people have a month or more to holiday, sometimes with an extra month's pay thrown in! Clearly, the Aussies and others, who can holiday for 4-6 weeks at a time, must think about and plan their time off for a significant chunk of the 10 or 11 months a year that they are working. (Which makes them smart and lucky!)<BR><BR>The fact is that many, if not most American adults live quite some distance from their parents and/or siblings and spend much of their vacation time visiting family. There's a financial need for two-income households in many areas. It's no wonder everyone is stressed out and the divorce rate is so high! If US (Republican) leaders are honestly interested in the "family values" they're always talking about, I say give families some time to spend together and decrease the workweek/increase the vacation time. (Should also help the unemployment rate - France has done it.) <BR><BR>

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Mike

Lesli,<BR>Russia already tried that, and Communism didn't work.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Gina

My name is Gina and I am obsessed with traveling. <BR>And I love it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -