Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If it's raining, yay or nay on Burano, Murano, or Torcello?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The weather report looks ominous for tomorrow after a rather sunny day. Shoot! I'm curious if I should bother visiting one of the islands tomorrow if the weather report does in fact check-out. It's calling for rain, but we all know how the weather in Europe can change. So, rain or possible shine, should I venture out to one of the three islands, or the Lido? I've been to Venice before, and did a rather massive walk today, so I have seen the historic center. Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 11:33 AM

I would definitely skip the Lido in the rain.

I have done Murano in the rain, which can be fine since it's all about going into glass shops. Plus the boat ride is quick so if you're not happy with the rain it's easy to change your plan.

Burano and Torcello involve a longer boat ride (30 minutes versus Murano's 10 minutes from Fondamenta Nuove), so that might be less enjoyable in the rain. I'd probably skip Burano if it were raining since I'd be interested in photographing the colorful buildings. I might do Torcello in the rain in order to see the mosaics in the church there, but wandering its serene farmlike paths might be less enjoyable in the rain.
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 12:18 PM

There are a lot of fabulous indoor spaces in Venice.
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 01:56 PM

It's a rather long walk from the boat dock to the sights of interest in Torcello, and Burano is best appreciated on a sunny day (the island is almost entirely an outdoor-strolling about pleasure.)
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 02:27 PM

One of my favorite travel days was visitng Burano on a cold, windy and very rainy day. I think I was the only tourist on the island that day. I spent several hours taking some incredible photos. The reflections of the house colors onto the wet pavement provided another point of view and results that I had not expected.

Of course, if I had not been focusing on my photography, I think I would have had a dreary day. The islands are much nicer on a sunny, blue sky day.
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 03:59 PM

" I have done Murano in the rain, which can be fine since it's all about going into glass shops. "

There are some glorious churches on Murano: SS. Maria e Donato and S. Pietro Martire. Try not to miss them, if you have time.
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 04:02 PM
lyb

If your main reason for Murano is shoppig for glass than rain won't matter. I agree with the person who mentioned that it is a long (kind of) walk from the vaporetto stop to the main area in Torcello, so depending on how you handle rain, you might to skip it, but I have a feeling that Torcello must have some kind of magical power in the rain.

Burano, if you've never been there, I wouldn't skip it just because of the rain. Make sure not to stick to just the main drag in Burano. My most enjoyable moments in Burano is when I just wandered through the residential streets, and saw the beauty parlor, the little grocery store, the children playing, etc...it's nice to see all the houses and yes, sometimes being able to peek in the window (not actually stand at the window and peek) of the houses as you pass by.

Btw, I would definitely skip the Lido, but that's a personal taste, it's not exactly my favorite.

Enjoy, I'm jealous!
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 05:18 PM

We went to Murano on our Sept. trip to Venice as it was our 3rd time in Venice. It was foggy and raining but we wanted to see Murano and figured it would be our last trip to Venice. We didn't buy any glass but it was intersting to see how it was made. If I had the choice, I would go to Burano. It's a longer ferry ride but the houses are so quaint with all of their beautiful colors.
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 05:21 PM

meant interesting. I can spell!
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you in helping me plan out my day! It sounds like I should plan to go over to either Burano or Murano, rain or shine. It's really just foggy out right now, so I'll make my decision shortly. I really appreciate the feedback