Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If I "accidentally" miss my flight at CDG ...

Jul 14th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

We're flying San Diego to NY, then NY to Paris, Paris to Rome, using FF miles. We are then taking the train(s) to Sorrento the same day.

After booking the tix, realized it would have been much easier to fly into Naples instead of Rome, but of course, can't change it now without a hefty fee.

We have a really tight connection in Paris at CDG (1 hour). If we "accidentally" miss our Paris to Rome flight, the next flight out to Rome is another hour, BUT the next flight out to Naples is in 2 hours.

How likely would Air France be willing to put us on the Paris to Naples flight if we miss our original connection to Rome?
Jul 14th, 2007, 08:25 AM

I don't know the answer, but with the possibilities for delay (San Diego, New York, Paris) you might miss the "really tight" connection anyway.
Jul 14th, 2007, 08:27 AM
P_M

They will know whether or not your original flight arrived in time for you to make your connection, and if it did arrive in time and you missed it anyway, that will be considered your fault. If you truly are delayed and you miss your scheduled flight, they will put you on the next flight to Rome. If you are so delayed that you miss the next flight to Rome, then you might have a chance of rebooking to Naples. But don't make this your plan, because they will know the truth about whether or not you could have made your flight to Rome.

Also keep in mind that your luggage will be checked to Rome, so you might not see if for a few days if you fly into Naples.
Jul 14th, 2007, 08:28 AM

Why not call Air France and ask them that question very nicely. If the rep is in a good mode they maybe very helpful in providing you this information. It's worth a shot anyway.
Jul 14th, 2007, 08:31 AM

I believe if it's all ticketed on Air France, they are obliged to ticket you at no cost on the next available flight. I had researched all of this before I left as we had the same tight connection using FF miles, and they said they would re-route us as necessary.
Jul 14th, 2007, 08:34 AM

Air France will put you on the next flight if it is not your fault.
Jul 14th, 2007, 08:54 AM

P_M explained it best - if you miss the flight because of the airline - they will put you on the next available flight to Rome. If you miss it because of your own fault - then you are on your own.

Jul 14th, 2007, 09:50 AM

The important point is that they will put you on the next flight TO ROME -- not to Naples.

Also be aware that if you fail to show up for your booked flight to Rome -- even if it's their fault, and they put you on another flight themselves -- there is an excellent chance that any further flights on Air France that were booked at the same time -- like, say, your return home -- will be CANCELLED.

If you don't make that flight, make SURE you confirm your future tickets again as soon as possible, to avoid some unpleasant surprises at the airport on the way back.
Jul 14th, 2007, 10:14 AM

Even if they do agree, won't your luggage already be enroute to Rome on your original flight? How will you get it?

Also if you do the swap and have to sit around in the airport for 2+ extra hours are you really saving anything? Eurostar or InterCity/InterCity Plus train reach Naples in less than two hours.

You might want to compare the change fee (usually $100 or so, although I fly United) with the bus/train fare to Sorrento from Rome versus Naples....

Looks like either way you'd get thereat about the same time.

Jul 14th, 2007, 10:30 AM

" about the same time"''That's the important part--much ado about nothing
Jul 14th, 2007, 10:33 AM

I seriously doubt you will make your connecting flight in Paris with only an hour layover. If you need to change terminals forget it!
Jul 14th, 2007, 10:35 AM

If you fly into Rome you'll have to take a train into the city, then switch to a train to Naples.

If you fly to Naples, you'll have to get yourselves to Sorrento, either into the city to the train station for the Circumvesuviana or to the port for a boat to Sorrento.

Option 2 is a little bit better, but not hugely.
Jul 14th, 2007, 03:25 PM

Have you looked into a private transfer from Rome airport to Sorrento? (I don't know one to recommend but it's possible; weight the cost vs. the cost of the train tickets and time spent).
Jul 14th, 2007, 03:30 PM

such as..
http://www.slowtrav.com/cl/detail.asp?l=1659

Tripadvisor forum/ rec of above driver:
http://tinyurl.com/3as5ft
Jul 14th, 2007, 03:35 PM

I would not do this. As others have mentioned you could lose your return trip. It happened to my dh and I on the way back from the Bahamas. We did not "intentionally" miss the trip - we missed our connection from ft. lauderdale to Bahamas - we got a hotel and they were going to fly us out on their first flight which was later in the day. I booked a flight earlier with another airlines - not thinking that it would cancel my return trip. It did.
We had no reservation returning from the Bahamas when we got to the airport... not good.
Jul 14th, 2007, 04:16 PM

Hello monica007. If you do wish to pursue hiring a private driver from Rome to Sorrento here is a website you might want to check out. I have not hired him but Francesco use to post on Fodor's (always very informative and pleasant posts) and I remember reading some Fodorites did use his service and were quite pleased. I don't know if you could pull up the threads using the Fodor's Search box or not.
http://www.francescomarrapese.com/index.htm
Jul 14th, 2007, 04:25 PM
kp

Another excellent car service is Tour of Italy. We used them from Naples to Sorrento--but they will transport to/from Rome.
They went out of their way to accommodate our needs, which included a flight delay of several hours.
Jul 14th, 2007, 04:40 PM

Naples airport to Sorrento bus
www.curreriviaggi.it
Jul 14th, 2007, 07:31 PM

All subsequent flights will be automatically canceled. Do not do this!!!
Jul 15th, 2007, 08:24 AM

Your luggage will be on a flight to Rome, you won't be.

CDG will be VERY happy with you as they find your luggage on the plane and take it off. They may decide to "examine" it which could leave it in a bit of a mess.

in any case if you are a no-show for thr fligth to Rome all the subsequent fligths on that ticket will be cancelled.

Trying to be clever could end up costing you thousands of dollars.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO