Reload this Page >

Ideas in Portugal?

Search

Ideas in Portugal?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 1999, 09:46 AM
Duff Kris

Ideas in Portugal?

First time in Portugal, I believe we are going to Lisbon. Any advice would be more than welcome; Hotels, hostels, areas, all around good times? <BR> <BR>Thanks.

Old Mar 19th, 1999, 06:55 AM
wendy

We loved Portugal. Pick up a copy of the Eyewitness Guide to Portugal and/or Lisbon, and Rick Steves' Portugal/Spain book. <BR> <BR>In Lisbon we stayed at the Lisboa y Tejo and liked it very much. We were suppose to stay at the Metropole but could not get in, try either one. Good locations! We took a day trip to Sintra which I would highly recommend and I wish we had gone to Evora but we went to Obidos which was OK. <BR> <BR>Have fun! The people are very nice. Also, do a search on this forum site - type in Portugal up top. There have been some ther good suggestions written.

Old Mar 19th, 1999, 01:04 PM
michele

Sintra is lovely. Really enjoyed Evora...stayed at the posada there..beautiful, great chapel if you like reliquies.

Old Mar 21st, 1999, 07:15 AM
Ellen

<BR>The train is an extremely cheap and easy way to access Sintra. See Sintra Palace and Pena Palace. The pottery shops around Sintra Palace are extraordinary! Not expensive at all. <BR> <BR>In the later afternoon, take the train toward Estoril and Cascais. Stroll a little and have dinner. <BR> <BR>If you have a few hours, take the train to see Quelez palace or the "pink" palace. <BR> <BR>This is of course, after you have adequately toured Lisbon! <BR>Ellen

Old Mar 21st, 1999, 09:59 PM
Ed

If you love old cities Evora will be the highlight of your trip. If possible a visit to Porto will leave you with wonderful memories of Portugal.

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 03:47 PM
nancy

My husband and I were in Portugal in 1996 for about a week. I like the suggestion from an earlier poster for the Rick Steves book which we found very helpful. Our experience in Lisbon was not great but we've chalked it up to staying outside of the city (a mistake) and rainy gray weather -- we would like to go back in the summer sometime. If you are interested in a beautiful drive and an interesting city consider visiting Coimbra (3 hours from Lisbon by train and if my memory serves me about 125 lovely miles by car). The University (library) there is fabulous, the old quarter is gorgeous and the people are very friendly. We stayed at the Hotel Astoria in the front rounded section of the building, way up at the top for $60 US /night. It was pretty unbelievable. If you go and stay at the Hotel Astoria and there is a woman at the front desk named Carla please send our regards, she speaks both English and German and was a huge help to us while we were there.

Old Apr 7th, 1999, 07:32 AM
andy

visit villa nova de milfontes(west coast....two hours drive from lisbon)unbelievable beaches..miles and miles of crashing waves white sand and not a peson in sight.!!!! <BR>

Old Apr 10th, 1999, 03:59 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>We just came home from Spain and Portugal. Our favorite was Portugal, especially the Estoril coast area. We stayed in Cascais at the Village Cascais, a 4 star hotel with wonderful view. Would have loved to stay there longer. Be sure to see Sintra, lovely. Also loved Lisbon. Didn't care much for the part of the Algarve we saw, or the part of Porto we saw. Food was wonderful and inexpensive, but be prepared to pay for the bread, even if it's already on the table,(same with the olives, pate etc. brought to you or already on the table.) People were nice, and the language is interesting. Be sure to say obrigda for thank you, not gracias! (or obrigado for males). The local wines and beers were good too.