Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Best place in Madrid to buy Lladro?
Notices

Best place in Madrid to buy Lladro?

Apr 9th, 1999, 09:01 AM
Marcie

Best place in Madrid to buy Lladro?

Would love to bring home a new Lladro. Any suggestions as to the best/cheapest place to purchase Lladro in Madrid? Thanks

Apr 9th, 1999, 12:06 PM
Erin

Lladros are pretty much expensive (and common) wherever you go. And if a shop is offering "discounted" prices, watch out. I was in Paris last week and along Rue de Rivoli (major tourist haunt), every shop was advertising Lladros for sale. In one shop, the owner told me that the Armani figurine I was admiring was a "limited edition". This particular figurine was the same one I bought in the US in 1996 as a wedding gift for a friend!

To get the best "deal", do your homework before you go. Visit some shops where you live and familiarize yourself with the prices and styles. You may luck up on a figurine in Madrid that isn't available in the US yet. When we were in Madrid in 1996, a friend bought a Lladro at a shop on the major shopping district near Plaza Mayor. It was still expensive (over $125 for a 5 inch figurine), but it was one that she didn't see in the US. Good Luck

Apr 9th, 1999, 02:45 PM
brenda

We shopped all over Spain in November and the prices were pretty much the same all over. We found a shop that was maybe a little cheaper right near Plaza Mayor.

Apr 9th, 1999, 02:55 PM
kristi

We got ours on the Costa del Sol so I don't know about Madrid in particular. We found that they were much cheaper than in the US (40-50%) and that although they have the same price tag on them in every store, some shop owners were willing to deal if you ask especially if you were buying more than one.

I agree with Erin-do your homework before you go to figure out which ones you like and the price you would pay at home so you make sure its worth lugging it with you on vacation.

Apr 10th, 1999, 05:04 PM
Judy

My cousin (who shops till she drops) goes to Spain every year with her students. In fact, she is there now. She swears that Artesiana Toledano in Toledo has the best prices in Spain. And, Toledo is a very interesting place to see. Furthermore, it's less than an hour by car from Madrid. You can even call ahead to request specific pieces. E-mail me if you want more details.

Apr 10th, 1999, 09:03 PM
Erni Hirsch

We, too, just returned from Spain and found that everywhere we inquired in Madrid and elsewhere told us that they had fixed prices for Lladro. We took at day trip from Costa Del Sol to Gibralter and found Lladro much less than in Spain.

Search this Thread