Reload this Page >

Ideas for winter Europe Family trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 09:46 AM
Susan

For the past two years we have taken our kids (ages 11, 14) to Europe during their February break from school. So far we have taken them to Paris and London. Both trips have been wonderful, the kids loved the palaces, museums and sights. We were thinking of Spain for next year. Anybody have any thoughts on that or any other ideas for a family trip? We can also travel at the end of March if that makes a difference. The trip cannot be longer than about 8 days. Any advice is welcome. We don't know where to go!

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 12:42 PM
Leslie

I have never been to Spain but have taken my kids (nearly the exact ages as yours) to the UK and Italy.<BR><BR>We were so very pleased with our Italy trip at Easter break last year. The kids really adored Rome and staying on a farm in Umbria/Tuscany. They also loved Venice, but were less enthralled with Florence (we took a full 13 days). With only 8 days, I'd recommend Rome, plus perhaps one or two day trips outside of Rome, such as Orvieto to the North or Pompeii and Herculaneum to the south, or even just Ostia Antica or a day trip to Villa d'Este in Tivoli.<BR><BR>Check on this website for lots of thoughts on Rome and children: www.twenj.net.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 01:42 PM
tom

We've done exactly what you are trying to do - take kids to Europe for Spring Breaks. Because of the weather, I'd recommend Italy (Rome, Florence, and Venice) and Southern Spain (Andalucia). My next planned destination is Amalfi Coast. <BR>Happy travel wherever you decide to go next.<BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 01:52 PM
xxxx

Sicily in Italy, Southern Spain, Algarve Region in Portugal.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:46 PM
amy

Spain is on my list (we're doing Nice with daytrips this year). Like you, we spent a week each in Paris and London.<BR><BR>Last year we did Rome with a daytrip to Pompeii. The year before we did Florence with just a daytrip to Pisa (it's so cliche, but they loved having their pictures taken with the tower).<BR><BR>I know others recommend the 3-city tour in Italy, but we quite enjoyed the week per city. My kids like and appreciate art (their school--a tiny public one--has this neat art program that teaches them how to react to art) even more than my husband and me, and all four of us like adopting a local restaurant and bakery. <BR><BR>In Florence, our goal was to find the best gelato. <BR><BR>We worked hard.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 06:04 PM
Sue

If you're skiers, there are so many wonderful places in the Alpes for families. In 2000 we went with our adult kids to Briancon, France, part of Serre Chevalier ski domaine. Very different from the glitzy, purpose-built resorts; it's a traditional town with a fortified old town that dates from medieval times.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Zach

ttt