Beaches in Liguria

Mar 26th, 2002, 02:24 PM
MC

Beaches in Liguria

Can you tell me if there is swimming beaches (sand or peebles) between Genoa and Portofino...?
Or between Ventimiglia (west Liguria) and Portofino... ?
Do you have any suggestions ?
Thanks.

Mar 26th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Kay

I love being near the sea in Italy, but for swimming beaches, I go to the Caribbean.

Mar 26th, 2002, 08:03 PM
Diane

There are beaches, but they are not overly attractive. I think the towns are the attraction.

Mar 27th, 2002, 04:32 AM
MC

I'm looking for beaches (of any kind) because I'll be travelling with my child and it would be nice if we could take a break, from time to time, fom visiting...

Any suggestions ?

Mar 27th, 2002, 04:58 AM
don

I'm not a beach person so I can't rate them, but there is a beach in Santa Margherita Ligure (not far from Portofino) and in Monterosso in the Cinque Terre (though this is about an hour south of Portofino). If I recall correctly, the beach in SML was pebbly but very popular, and the beach in Monterosso is sandy. These are both beautiful towns. It's just my opinion, but I think SML is more beautiful than Portofino, though bigger and faster-paced. And while people say Monterosso is bigger and more touristy than the other CT towns, I liked it very much. On the hike from Monterosso to Vernazza, one of the most beautiful views is looking back at the beach in Monterosso.

Mar 27th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Steve James

If I remember, there's a nice little beach at Paraggi, between Santa Margherita and Portofino.

Further west, Alassio has a good beach, I believe.

Hope this helps ...

Steve