Ideas for short trip to Dusseldorf

Nov 6th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Ideas for short trip to Dusseldorf

I will be in Dusseldorf for about 5 days in the first week of December, with a business colleague. Although we will be busy during the day, the evenings are free. We might also find a spare day in between to squeeze in a visit to Cologne. We will probably be staying in a Dusseldorf suburb, close to Wulfrath, which I believe has good public transport links to Dusseldorf city.

Need ideas on things to do in the evenings, and during a day out at Cologne. Visited Germany six months ago, but that was in Nuremberg, Bamberg and Rothenberg. Would like a different "flavour" of Germany. Not much of the museum type, although the chocolate museum of Cologne does sound fascinating. Please give ideas on things to do.

Incidentally, I am vegetarian. Any suggestions on appropriate restaurants ?
Nov 8th, 2009, 01:48 PM

I am also a vegetarian but never have visited a veg restaurant in/around DUE . IF we go out for lunch or dinner we go to Italian restaurants. Many of them in/around DUE!

You can spend a nice evening window/shopping on the Koenigsallee "KÖ" (it claims to be one of the most prestigious shopping miles on Earth) where you can also find some nice eateries.
KÖ Gallery has a very nice café: Café Heinemann. Here you can have nice lunch and very good breakfast. Their cakes/Tartes/pies are to die for. Their Champagne truffles have won "World's Best" for some consecutive years! Maybe that's a nice gift for relatives and friends at home.

One evening would be perfect for the Altstadt (old town) where you find hundereds of restaurants, pubs, discos - any kind of music from Jazz/Free Jazz, Hard rock, Metal and disco.

Next to the Altstadt you find a couple of museums at the bank of the river Rhein (Rhine).

From Wülfrath you have excellent public transport to/from Due/Cologne (Köln).
Cologne has got a huge university which brings a very nice flair to the city. Of course you should visit the Cathedral where you find many pubs and restaurants, shops etc.
You will realise DUE and CGN have totally different feels.

Despite the unfavourable exchange rate you should have look at electric/photographic stuff which is still reasonable.

Happy travels!

SV
Nov 8th, 2009, 01:55 PM

Regarding the Chocolate Museum:
It's at the river`s bank and quite interesting: Chocolate making process, different praliné makings, cacao beans and how they are processed etc etc etc. Particularly prior to Xmas you can buy HUGE (I mean HUGE!) Santas and other Xmas chocolates. Try first as the chocolate is not the highest quality.

Enjoy!

You certainly will enjoy the Xmas markets in DUE and Cologne.
In case you have some more time and want to travel a bit further you can visit Aachen (1 hour train ride from DUE) which has a very nice Xmas marjet, very old Cathedral. If you are interested: There is LINDT where you can buy bulk for little money directly at the plant. The same with LAMBERTZ. Here you can buy the famous Xmas Printen (richly spiced ginger biscuits).

SV
Nov 8th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks spassvogel for your wonderful suggestions. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Should one travel by train to all these places ? Any special discount tickets for any of these places, that I should be aware of ? Note that we will be two persons traveling together. We also have to do the train ride from Frankfurt to Dusseldorf and back, since we are flying in and out of Frankfurt.

Is it at all possible to day-trip to Amsterdam ?

Please keep the suggestions flowing.
Nov 9th, 2009, 09:53 AM

If you have one evening in DUE: APOLLO Theater. It's a Varieté and the acts are wonderful! Not at all "Vegas like"
Regrettably the site isn't Engl.
http://www.apollo-variete.de

Now, regarding the public transport I must admit that I have no clue whether there are "specials" .
Pls go to that site and check:

http://www.deutschebahn.com/site/bahn/en/start.html

Happy planning/travels!

SV