I'd like to go to Europe for Christmas.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

..but by Dec I'll have pretty much used up my travel funds for this year.
BUT, how could I find out where would be the best choice for a budget trip? Where would be the cheapest fare from Buffalo?

How do I find out what airlines fly where? I've heard of people getting good deals on airlines and airline routings that I would not have even known about.
Are there sites like Kayak for flights to Europe?
(I've also asked this question on Airline forum, but thought I'd ask it on Europe as well&gt
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:37 PM

Try Kayak. Play with dates and also consider going through a gateway city like London or Frankfurt and then flying on using cheap European airlines like Ryan Air.

Try to stay in an apartment if possible. Good luck!
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

First of all, I have no idea how that little emotion thing got on the end of my post!! Must have been something I did.

Thanks highflyer. I thought kayak was just for US based airlines. I'll keep trying on it.
And I'll check for good fares to London and Frankfurt. Hopefully I'll come up with something good.
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:43 PM

This site can be fun to paly around with http://www.skyscanner.net/wings.asp you might have to try a NYC departure point instead of Buffalo to have more options, and uncheck the "direct only" box.
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:30 PM

Try these gateway cities.. Paris, London, Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Copenhagen. Even after you save on airfare have you budgeted for lodgings, food, ground travel and fun money?
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:43 PM

I have gone to Europe every christmas for the last four years. I do it on the cheap.

First: Its the cheapest time of the year

Second: I spend most of my time in Germany, Christmas markets galore and you can get great hotel rates

Third: Its cheaper to fly into Hamburg, Cologne or Frankfurt.

Fourth: I check the airline site everyday for the best price, all of my winter trips never cost over 500 for round trip.

Fifth: Open Jaw is your friend. Start in one city and leave out of another. For example last year i landed in Frankfurt and left out of Amsterdam.
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
just so you don't think you're crazy - the &gt happened when you typed > ) w/o a space.

I agree - just look for the cheapest fare to Europe, whether London, Paris, Frankfurt, A'dam or wherever. Then you can get to a cheaper city either by train or on a budget airline.
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Janis. I wondered what I did!!

Lostmymind, that is exactly what I hope to do. I'd love to see some of the Christmas markets. But I don't really care where I go. I've told myself that if I can find a flight for $500 or less, I'll do it. Where else have you gone for Christmas?

AisleSeat, I'm working on it. I've been looking at budget accommodations before I even know if I can get a cheap flight.
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:06 PM

You might want to sign up for the Travel Zoo Canada email alerts if haven't done so already. That's how I got $550 inclusive Toronto to Paris (flew in late April)

Good luck!
Old May 20th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Apres, I am signed up for the Canada one and the US one.
I usually fly out of Buffalo, but it's good to know there are deals out of Toronto too.
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Apres, I was half asleep this morning when I answered your post about Travelzoo.
I wasn't connecting you to the wonderful trip report you wrote on your trip. I loved it ...and you gave so much great information.
I just might be asking you more questions!!
Old May 20th, 2008, 02:58 PM

I would also add; you can buy cheaper train tickets from home instead at the stations, but that spoils my fly like the wind method of travel. But I did get great fares from Munich to Nurenberg.

My favorite Christmas Markets are (in order) Munich Germany, Salzberg Austria, and Cologne Germany.

I've also been to the Hamberg, Heidleberg, Berlin, Nurenberg, Innsbruk, Prague, Amsterdam and Vienna markets. They were all great.
Old May 20th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Lostmymind, thank you.
I thought the Christmas markets were only in Germany. Shows how much I know.
It's great to know which ones were your favourites.

I'll keep checking airfares.
Old May 20th, 2008, 07:38 PM

Hi kodi, feel free to ask away

I'm positive you'll find a good airfare if you keep on top of it. They always seem to pop up out of the blue, right when you least expect it.