Icelandair or Air Transat

Old Jul 21st, 2009, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icelandair or Air Transat

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can give me some information in regards to flying on either of the two air lines. Both fly out of Halifax, Canada but Air Transat goes to Gatwick for about $200.00 (one way, direct) and Icelandair goes to Glasgow via one stop in Reykjavik, price $402. Train and overnight in London would cost me an additional $300.00.

My destination is Kilmaurs, 20 miles north west of Glasgow and I have friend picking me up either in Glasgow or at train station in KIlmaurs. Wanting information on a couple of things.

Which air lines is better to fly on, in regards to baggage, seat room etc.

Would staying overnight at Gatwick, then catching train to Kilmaurs be more restfull or a lot of trouble.

Always I have flown Air Canada but they have become so very expensive and service has gone down hill in last few years. I will be travelling by myself and will have two large suitcases as will be working in Scotland for a few months.

Thanks for any information that anyone can give me
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 06:18 AM

Even without knowing what time of year you are going or which station in London is the departure point for Kilmaurs, I would think having Icelandair carry your luggage for you is a better deal than you taking it through London -- unless Icleandair is notorious for losing luggage, and I don't think they are.

Those flights into Iceland are very short, and unless it's an unbearablly long layover, I would think you'd be fine with the switch. The terminal in Iceland is very tiny and well organized.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 06:32 AM

You can compare airline seat characteristics at www.seatguru.com
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 08:57 AM

I don't understand why the flight to Gatwick requires an overnight in London.

Presumably flights arrive earlyish in the morning. It's under an hour from Gatwick to Euston, and 4.5 hrs to Glasgow from Euston, assuming it's not cheaper to fly from Gatwick (Easyjet: every 60-90 mins).
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Hi Flanneruk,

I have not been to UK for some 40 years, and do not sleep well on planes, therefore thought that spending time overnight in London might give me time to get my bearing beofre heading on to Kilmaurs.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Dukey for the link to seatguru, it is now in my favourites and will use it when booking seat.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 11:36 AM

You could always consider the Caledonian Sleeper train from Euston to Glsagow. Save you the costs of a night's accomodation.

Personally though if you are going to fly to Gatwick, I'd get a flight from Gatwick to Glasgow with someone like Easyjet or BA and have a couple of hours kip at the Yotel
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 11:47 AM

Personally, I'd get the hourly daytime train to Glasgow. After the excitement of getting to it from Gatwick, 4.5 hrs is just the right journey time to snooze and catch up on the sleep you missed overnight, while still leaving you sufficiently sleep-deprived to you get to sleep that night.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your information, will have to decide what to do soon and book a flight. Will be booking for October which seems long time yet but I am sure it will go quickly.