Favorite Restaurants in Rome

Old Jul 19th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite Restaurants in Rome

Things are getting pretty exciting as we are leaving for this years European adventure. The trip is taking us from Rome to Turin to Innsbruck to Munich (Oktoberfest). We are trying to figure out the restaurants along the way. While in Rome, we are planning on Hostaria Costanzas, Pizzeria Da Baffetto, and was thinking of Il Bacaro. Can anyone offer any suggestions/recommendations? Has anyone eaten at Il Bacaro? Thoughts?

Thank you for all your suggestions.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 01:51 PM

If you are around the Trastevere area then you have to go to La Scala, Piazza Della Scala 60 (TRASTEVERE), 00153 ROMA (RM)

Best Pizza's I have ever eaten.

Stuart
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 09:57 PM

On last Tuesday I had a very delicious dinner at LA GATTA MANGIONA.
It is open only for dinner and the closed day in the week is Monday.
To reserve the table is mandatory as it is always crowded.
Phone number is 06 5346702.
The location is Monteverde (Via F. Ozanam, 30) far from the historical center of Rome; thtat's why it is not well known to the tourists but only to the local people.
Let's begin with very good fried finger food, then very good pizza and, also, delicious meat dish. To drink, local beer is better than wine.
The daily menu is written on the blackboard.
Not expensive: more or less, 30 euro.

Vincenzo
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 02:38 AM

Catherinehaas, I do not have a recommendation but I do have a list of restaurants in Rome and I will check them later. Da Baffetto is on my list. We did have a very nice meal several years ago at Armando al Pantheon and it still gets good reviews.

Vincenzo, are you the same Vincenzo from my favorite place, Massa Lubrense? If so, nice to see you back here. If not, then welcome to Fodor's.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 10:22 AM

Yes, Marianna, I am the same.
I had been living for few months in USA and then I came back to Italy three weeks ago.
Nice to see you.
Ciao.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 10:35 AM

David Downie has just published a food guide to Rome with an eye to authentic, non-tourist restaurants that are eminently affordable. You should check it out on Amazon.

Welcome back, Vincenzoda. Hope you enjoyed the US.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 10:54 AM

My sister and I loved www.larcano.it
We sat outside in the little alley. It was perfect. We ordered a wine from Pavia. Pino Nero.. Vino frizzante.
I was surburb. We started laughing and couldnt stop. The couple next to us caught the bug and we all just howled.
Oh, and the food was good too.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 03:41 PM

Glad you are back and posting, Vincenzo! I remember your comments about my comments about Massa Lubrense and our trip to Italy with our mothers. My mother was born in Italy and my husband and I took her back twice along with my MIL and our son (at ages 12 and 22) and one trip with my sister, too. We have been back on our own and once, three years ago with our son and his now wife. All mememorable family journeys to the places my mom and all of us love so much. My mom has since died but my MIL is still, thankfully, with us and would love to be able to travel again to Italy.

You should have told the US contingent of Fodorites that you were here and we would have arranged a GTG where you were staying.

Sorry to hijack your thread, catherinehaas, but it is so nice to see Vincenzo back here once again.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 04:01 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
We enjoyed Colline Emiliane; via Avignonesi 22, when we were there many years ago. Has anyone dined there recently? It's near the Piazza Barberini.

Old Jul 20th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
I thought Il Baccaro was familiar. Certianly well dated but this is from our 2002 trip report:

One from the guide books. This one was crowded & the owner took forever (15 - 20 minutes) to wander over for wine advice. The food was very strange combinations - maybe a little too strange. My wife went to the washroom, which didn't flush & she got locked in! The staff seemed indifferent to this. Another patron, from North Carolina got locked in too. Their table was 2" from our table, so we got to know them quite well. Give this restaurant a miss unless you can sit outside. Make sure you go to a washroom before you arrive. 40 - 50€ (excluding wine).

But on a current note, this summer our highlights were:

Ambasciata D'Abruzzo http://www.ambasciatadiabruzzo.com/ In the Pariolli area. Very good food & friendly service in a 'neighborhood' rather than a tourist zone.

And another plug for Armando al Pantheon. We really enjoyed our meal there in May.

Ian
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 04:28 PM

We really enjoyed Trattoria dei Fori Imperiali and Ditirambo: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ultry-rome.cfm
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 05:19 PM

maitaitom, I thought Colline Emiliane was really over-rated. The food was not great and the service was really bad. They may have been going through some kind of transition, though. The place was packed, and they had a sign on the door announcing they were changing around which days they would be closed within the next week or so.

I would recommend La Buca di Ripetta at 36 via Ripetta. Very nice dining experience, very authentic--I believe I was the only American there on a Sunday--and good prices.

Buon Viaggio & Buon Appetito!
BC
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 05:46 PM

We dined at Armando al Pantheon and La Buca di Ripetta in Sept. 2009 and loved both of them.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 10:18 AM

Glad to hear that Ambasciata d' Abruzzo is still going strong. We spent a very enjoyable evening there a few years ago.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 10:44 AM

We went to a very good Pizzeria in Trastevere called Pizzeria San Calisto. Its located close to the large church and square in Trastevere. The pies were so big that we could not sit directly across the table from each other otherwise the plates and pizzas would overlap! The price was very good too.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 10:53 AM

Osteria del Pegno, north of Piazza Navona.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 01:20 PM

We liked our meals at Il Drappo (Sardinian) and Isidoro best. The venerable Matriacinella (sp?) was a major disappointment. We thought Armando de Pantheon was pretty, but just ok. Da Baffeto wins the bang for the buck award at 27 E (with wine)!