Iceland Winter - Vik or Snaefellsnes?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2016, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

My wife and I are kicking around the idea of a trip to Iceland this winter in hopes of seeing the aurora borealis. We understand it's a lucky bonus if that happens and it shouldn't be expected. If we do this the trip would probably be late January 2017, during the period of new moon.

The trip would be about one week in length or so. Our preferred travel style is staying in one hotel a minimum of 3 nights. Based on the limited research I've done I'm zeroing in on either the area around Vik or the Snaefellsnes Peninsula as a primary destination. We'd stay in one of those areas for 5-6 nights, perhaps two different hotels, or maybe only one, then return to Reykjavík for a couple nights before heading home.

Both of those areas seem to be a reasonable 2-3 hour drive from the Reykjavík airport, and look like they have a wealth of nearby sights and activities. If we chose only one, any opinion on Vik or Snaefellsnes, or is it a no-lose decision?

Thanks!
Old Aug 15th, 2016, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
We are thinking we'll to do this trip in March instead of January. More daylight hours to, but still enough darkness to get a shot at the auroras. Perhaps slightly less chance that roads will be snowbound.

Plus we'll extend the length of the trip so we have enough time to comfortably visit both the south coast and Snaefellsnes.

But now not until March 2018 instead of next year.