Iceland: Geologic tour experience?

Old Feb 2nd, 2015, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iceland: Geologic tour experience?

I have found a number of companies offering geologic tours of Iceland. Have any esteemed travelers here had experience with one of them and can offer a review? Iceland's geology is so astounding that I really want to hit this aspect of the country thoroughly and, hopefully, with a guide who is a trained geologist.

Nothing is written in stone yet, but if we choose Iceland for our vacation (2 adults), it would be in June or July for 10-14 days.

Thanks for your input!
Old Feb 4th, 2015, 03:42 AM

While I have not gone myself, I've had several friends go on the Smithsonian Journeys tour of Iceland. http://www.smithsonianjourneys.org/tours/iceland/
They gave the tour high marks, both for the pace and planning, and the educational value covering the culture and geology.
Their tour guide, Jim Reynolds, is a trained geologist and has lead numerous trips to Iceland.
Old Feb 4th, 2015, 11:14 AM

Bookmarking - I'm going in the latter half of July
Old Feb 6th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Wow, terrific! Thanks brdcollie!
Old Feb 6th, 2015, 11:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Edward, we didn't do any geological tours but if you're interested in them, there are few better places. As well as the obvious volcanoes and the meeting of the tectonic plates at Thingvillir, you might be particularly interested in visiting the Westerman islands where you can see parts of the main town that were destroyed only a few years ago as well as a lot of lava!

if you can allow as long as 2 weeks for your trip, you could probably manage to do a circuit of the island; less than 12 days and you probably don't have time to do that, though you could fit in a visit to the western fjords which with their 6 million or so seabirds was one of the highlights of our trip.
Old Feb 6th, 2015, 12:03 PM

Hi EDWARD2005,

I have often heard that the high end HURTIGRUTEN tours/cruises/expeditions are excellent. A bit rich for my blood, but you might look into them. They specialize in northern climes I believe.

Good luck...