ice cave at Konigsee

Search

ice cave at Konigsee

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ice cave at Konigsee

I thought that I had read somewhere about an ice cave that can be hiked to near Konigsee in Berchtesgaden. Now I can't find anything about that. Am I remembering wrong? Does anyone know anything about this?
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 03:41 PM

The only ice cave I know about is near Hallstatt in the Salzburg area.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 03:47 PM

Werfen near Salzburg. Great tour
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 04:01 PM

The Schellenberg ice cave is north of Berchtesgaden but a visit there involves a strenuous hike. Werfen (Austria) would be the better option although there is also an uphill to manage. It's south and not far from Berchtesgaden.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

My impression is that it isn't one of the big ice caves--but rather a less famous one. Probably really small. I think it was supposed to be on the way up to a glacier. I thought it was supposed to be part of a hike that starts out at Konigsee.

As I said above, I may be remembering this all wrong. I have no idea where I read it.

Old Oct 5th, 2006, 05:34 AM

I think that I know what you are talking about.
The Konigsee is the starting (or fininshing) point for some terrific and scenic hikes in the National park area. Some are easy and some quite strenuous. It is also a mecca for mountain climbers.
One of the most well known sights on the Konigsee is the chapel of St Bartholomew which is reached by taking the electric boat from the docks at the Konigsee.
There is a hiking trail that begins near St. Bartholomew that leads to the "Eiskappelle" (ice chapel). This is basically an open area at the end of the trail where there are beautiful vistas of the Watzmann. You can see lots of wildlife, including the ubiquitous mountain goats. There is a large cave that was originally called the Ice Chapel, but as far as I know, you can't enter that area at all as it's deemed unsafe. Nonetheless, this is a great hike with a rewarding view at the end.
There is also the true ice caves on the Untersberg (Schellenberg ice caves) but these require either a very long hike from the parking area or you can take the cable car and then it's about a 90 minute hike. Be advised, this is still difficult as you are walking on an incline. I wouldn't do it unless you are really into hiking.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 08:17 AM

This is what I found on various German websites (free translation):
The once famous 'Eiskapelle', a huge ice cave that used to be there <i>(see EmilyC's posting)</i>, has been almost completely destroyed in 1861 by a collapse of the rock-face and subsequent warm summers.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the input!

EmilyC, how long is the hike with the beautiful views of Watzmann? Do you know if the trailhead be marked in an obvious way?

MyriamC--I guess that explains why I'm having trouble finding info on this. Thanks!
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

&quot;is marked&quot; not &quot;be marked&quot; in message above
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 02:59 AM

The trail is well marked, as all are in Germany, and you can get English hiking maps anywhere in the area. There is also a small chapel on the trail that you will pass. If memory serves correctly, I would say that this hike is around 2 hours or less (once you get to the actual trail start on the far side of the Konigsee. The boat ride is at least one hour to get to St. Bartholomew.
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! One more question--do you have any idea about what the elevation gain/loss might be on that hike?
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 09:20 AM

One more question--do you have any idea about what the elevation gain/loss might be on that hike?

About 700 ft.:

Ausgangspunkt: St. Bartholom&auml; 605 m
Ziel: Eiskapelle 834 m
H&ouml;henunterschied: 230 Meter
Gehzeit: ca. 1 Stunden
Streckenl&auml;nge: ca. 3 Kilometer
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!!