Iberia Flights Usually On-time?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are planning to fly from Seville to Madrid to meet our flight home. We will get up early to drive to the airport and drop the rental car then leave Seville at 8:25 on Iberia Airline and have to connect to our Continental Flight departing for the US at 12:25.

How much time do you think we should allow to drop off the car and make the flight in Seville? We will be travelling light (unless we have found something to buy on the trip).

Does Iberia usually depart and arrive on time?

I would hate to miss home leg of the flight as seats seem rather scarce. Plus, we had to book the tickets outside the continental system since they aren't partners with Iberia. Usually this means they aren't obligated to assist you if your connections are late.

Does the connecting flight sound ok to you guys? Is thee a better way to get to Madrid for the 12:25 flight?

Thanks
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 01:26 AM
JonJon

Are you checking luggage? If so, and Iberia does not have a "luggage agreement" with Continental (ask them) then you may be forced to claim your luggage in Madrid and re-check it at the Continental counter...figure that possibility into the equation, too.

Old Mar 17th, 2004, 07:17 AM

I've flown from Madrid through Newark last fall. Their flight is scheduled normally to depart at 11:25 am. Boarding of the 777 began around 10:30am.
Since you are coming into Madrid from a domestic flight, you must change terminals. Because of airport security procedures, it is recommended that you check in two hours before departure of international flights.
Therefor I'd recommend you get to the Continental counter around 9:30am.
Flight delays do occur due to weather conditions and air traffic control.
Suggest you double check scheduled flight departure/arrival times.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 07:40 AM

My flight was on time last month, and I think they have a pretty good on-time record. You will have to change terminals, but it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

The flight from Sevilla would get in around 9:30 or so, right? That gives you 3 hours. That is plenty of time. I wouldn't arrive that early for a flight if I was already in Madrid!

For the domestic flight - returning my rental car in Granada took about 15 minutes and I returned it in a lot right outside the terminal (remember, these airports are small). It shouldn't take you long at all.

Hope this helps.
Karen
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 08:57 AM

You may be able to check your baggage through. I'm flying Virgin (a continental codeshare) from LAX to London (LHR) then connecting on Iberia to Madrid...same thing returning. However, Continental did book all of my tickets (so I'm at least covered if there are any issues) and have assured me that my bags can be checked through each way.

When is your flight? I'm back the week of April 12th so I'll post how it worked out.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! I have really based most of the trip on the information I have gotten from everyone's experiences.

JonJon: We do plan to check luggage and the US office of Iberia said they would handle the transfer as long as we showed them the tickets for the homebound legs at the counter in Sevilla. Thats a really BIG question answered! Now my wife can shop to her hearts content in Seville.

Travelerone: Thanks..I double checked as suggested and found the Iberia leg is scheduled for 7:30 - 8:30. I got my times confused and so glad I checked! That gives us an extra hour in Madrid which makes me feel a lot better. Having said that, there is no telling how long it will take after the problems they have had. Even now, travel at US airports (when there is a high alert) slows to a crawl and it may take more than 2 hours just to get to security gates if you are departing at peak travel times (not counting parking and check in). As long as we don?t have baggage to worry about at both terminals we should be ok.

Kaudrey: Lets hope Sevilla airport is small as well. The car lot doesn?t open until after we need to drop it off but they do have a drop box so we can leave it early in the morning. We have traveled a bit in in Central and South America and when checking a car in they go over every inch. I may take it to airport the night before and drop it off so I can be there when they inspect it. Another plus for that plan is I can spend my time trying to find my way well before the morning of the flight.

Here are the final trip plans. Just wish we had more time as the more I planned the trip the more I found I wanted to see. Hope I settled on a route that will allow us plenty of leisure time and still allow us to see a interesting slice of the country. Didn't want to spend all our time driving and I also was trying to avoid stopping a lot with our luggage in the car. The last time my wife went to Spain she lost most of her things when someone broke into the car as they ate lunch. (This was in Malaga which seems to have a reputation for this type of activity.)

Mar 28 - Arrive Madrid, drive to Toledo, stay Hostal Del Cardenal

Mar 29 - (A Monday) See Toledo then wander up to Segovia (using Mirabel's suggestions on drives to Segovia), stay in Hotel Los Linajes. (We couldnt get in the Infanta Isabel although the Hosteria Ayala Berganza has an opening. Do you think its worth changing to Berganza?)

Mar 30 - See sights around Segovia - El Escorial & La Ganja, stay 2nd night in Hotel Los Linajes

Mar 31 - Wander to Caceres and check in the Parador, drive to Guadalupe maybe?

Apr 1- Head down to Seville spending time in Merida, stay at Hotel Ardemas (the Alfonso is too pricey)

Apr 2 - Seville, Hotel Ardemas

Apr 3 - Start home

I will be sure to post and let everyone know how the trip turns out.

Once again, thanks!