Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I won tickets to the Eiffel tower! What have you won?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2004, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I leave in 2 weeks, 5 days and 18 hours (I'm not really counting the hours) for a one month holiday in Europe.
Whilst doing a search on the Eiffel tower, I found that the official web site has a competition going.
I actually scored 10/10 on the multiple choice and won 2 tickets to the Eiffel tower!
Only thing is they take 4 to 6 weeks to be delivered to Australia...
I'll be in Paris in about 5 weeks....wonder if they'll reach me in time to use??? Could always get my husband to courier them?
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 03:43 AM
ira

Lucky you, kimerly.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 05:42 AM

They will prob. arrive the day after you come home from your trip-which is what happened to me!!!
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 05:48 AM

In early 2003 I won about $400 worth of vouchers for hotels in the Accor group (Sofitel, Mercure, Novotel, Dorint, Ibis, and now Club Med)...we used them to give ourselves a few week-ends away in France, Germany and the Netherlands. We're in another Accor competition for a 1000 euro grand prize voucher...fingers crossed!
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 06:12 AM

This year I won a cruise on the QM2, and not to sound ungrateful, I think that it was the boobie prize!!

If you are on this board, enjoy traveling independently and searching out new and interesting things to see, a cruise is not for you( I've done the research for you). I always suspected that it wasn't me,but free is good, so off we went. I was so happy to see NYC after 6 days on the water, I knew exactly how my grandparents felt when they arrived.

Am I looking forward to my 2 weeks in Provence in September in my own tiny house with a car to drive around and endlessly get lost...you bet!
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 06:46 AM

Last year I won a contest (why you and your spouse need a romantic getaway) that took us first-class VIA rail Toronto to Quebec City, a suite at the Chateau Frontenac for 4 nights with views of the Saint Lawrence River and the Plains of Abraham, buffet breakfast each day, dinner in the restaurant, champagne, a book and a carriage ride. Fabulous!!!
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 07:32 AM

Wow, you guys are so lucky! Sounds fantastic!

Poor me...I've never won anything. I just booked a Travelzoo weekend away at a spa in the desert. The property is giving us $100 spa credit per person per night. Does that count? Can I say I "won" a massage?
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 08:50 AM

I won a TV and VCR that I had to donate to a school (glad to do it just thought it was funny the only thing I ever won I had to give away!).

Yesterday I got a phone call from M & M Meats and I won a box of sausages (we're vegetarians).
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 08:54 AM

Congratulations, Kimberley!

I've won lots of small things over the years (concert tickets, savings bonds, etc.), but the biggie was an all expense paid trip to Montego Bay, Jamaica....at a time when we really needed a vacation, but didn't have the funds to take one.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 10:04 AM

Several years ago, I won a trip for two to Cabo San Lucas in a drawing sponsored by a local radio station. My husband won a trip for two to Hawaii in a drawing at work. Both trips were great!
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 10:10 AM

I won 2 tickets anywhere Delta flies in the US when a new AAA travel agency opened in town. Off to Yosemite we went!
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 10:16 AM

By answering some questions on a radio program, I won a night at the Holiday Inn in Houma, Louisiana.

After reading about you guys, I need to enter some more exclusive contests.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 12:24 PM

I won two "anywhere Delta flies" tickets at a fundraiser for Cystic Fibrosis two years ago. Took my Dad, and we went to see the Vienna Boys Choir in Vienna... a lifelong dream of his. It was definitely meant to be ... I won on a trivia question based on The Sound of Music. My parents named my sister Liesl, from the movie. Liesl died of CF as a child, so I'm convinced that she made sure the final question was tailor made for me!
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 01:30 PM

Last year, while in France for the Tour de France, I won a CSC team hat autographed by Tyler Hamilton and Carlos Sastre. For a cycling fan like me, that was pretty cool!
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 01:33 PM

I should not reply to this post.. The answer is : NO...But I keep hoping that perhaps someday I too will be Lucky..
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 04:46 PM

I won a 7 night stay at a nice Princeveille resort in Kauai. While vacationing there I entered my room number in a drawing and won another week in Puerto Vallarta. However, airfare was additional so it wasn't such a big deal.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 05:20 PM

I won a 5 pound box of chocolates. Great for people on Atkins. (I gave it away and had a hard time finding people who would take even one pound.)
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 05:22 PM

Congratulations, all of you! Here's the tale of my "big" winnings:

When I was about five years old, while my family was living in Athens, I knocked out my front teeth playing Blind Man's Bluff. My mother and I then had to fly for my monthly dental appointments to Weisbaden, where the nearest America orthodontist was located.

On the base there, my mother became addicted to Bingo, dragging me along each night because, she said, between the two of us, we could cover more cards, thereby increasing our chances of winning. (Well, she could hardly leave me behind in the room. God knows what I might have done.)

Of all things, I won a pressure cooker that, back in 1951, was approximately the size of a Jeep.

At the airport, my revenge for hours of Bingo in smoke filled rooms full of hawkeyed housewives was the sight of my proud mother staggering across the tarmac with the 500 pound "prize" in her arms.

(This was in the days before planes were accessed through a tunnel, back when you walked to the plane, then climbed up a set of portable stairs to the entry door. Farewells seemed more dramatic that way, somehow.)

Old Jun 13th, 2004, 07:10 PM

Back when the movie "Chicken Run" came out, British Airways was a sponsor. I entered a sweepstakes on their website and won a free airline ticket to London.

We affectionately called it our Chicken Run trip. We flew into London, drove up to Lincoln, York, Haworth, Stoke-on-Trent and Derbyshire. It was a great trip!

Old Jun 13th, 2004, 08:36 PM
TahitiTams

I won a trip from Conde Nast which was 2 round trip airline tickets from LAX to Sydney with 5 nights at the Four Seasons in a beautiful Suite overlooking the bay.. Went in January and we went to Tetsuya's which was Stunning.. I told my husband when I entered that I was going to win it for him and out of millions, I did!
Enter those darn contests..Somebody's got to win..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -