I've Booked a Tour Guide But Need Ideas of What to See with Him

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have most everything planned now for my mother's and my April trip to Paris. This is not our first trip to Paris and we have done most of the major sights.

I have booked Micheal Osman for a guided tour on a Sunday. However, we are not sure where to head or what to see with him. Any suggestions? We will be staying in the 2nd and will probably start from there. We were thinking markets? Le Marais? I have absolutely no idea.........Help fellow Fodorites.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 04:08 AM
ezs

We have used Michael for two different visits to Paris. Last year we went to the Louvre and Montmartre with him. I had been to the Louvre several times before, but never saw things the same way as I did with Michael. He knew a lot of details about the history of each piece and of the time that gave the art context and made even small items I never would have stopped to look at fascinating. He seems to have a good sense of his audience (you) and tailors the day accordingly. The first time we used him, we went to Musee D'Orsay. My kids were 14 and 12 and he made the experience interesting for them as well as my husband and I.

So even if you have done most of the major sites, going back to some place with Michael will give you a new perspective. I'm sure you will have a wonderful day with him!

Enjoy,Eve
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 04:12 AM

Talk with Michael and let him sort of guide you. I certainly wouldn't pay him to see the markets. As the other poster said, even if you have been to Paris often, he will show you and tell you things you haven't! He certainly did with us. You really might like him to take you to the museums.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 06:00 AM
ira

Hi D,

Isn't the guide supposed to propose a tour to you?

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 06:35 AM

Dejais, I have sent Micheal 2 emails, one in Nov and one in Dec and still have not heard back. How long did it take you? Can you send me his e mail so I can confirm it? thanks
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Ira...No, you tell him what you'd like to do. He is open to your suggestions. Worse case, he will do the planning. I just would like to at least steer him in a direction.

Plambers...You can get his email off his website which I do not have at work. I can post it for you later. I have heard that emails are sometimes late coming. Try him again. He sometimes is away and may have been because of the holidays. I have found once he answers, his emails are long and very informative so don't give up.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 07:36 AM

dejais, would really appreciate it since i can't seem to find a webite for him either.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 08:04 AM

Here it is:

http://www.geocities.com/parisfinder/

Plamers, don't give up! As Dejais says, his emails are long and informative. He answered me quickly in October so he may have gone back home for the holidays.

We spent a day with Michael in November and had a great time. Yes, you tell him what you want to do or you could ask for suggestions.

Michael lives in the 2nd so that may be a great place to begin, Dejais.

We will definitely contact Michael the next time we are in Paris.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 09:31 AM

Michael will do it any way you want--you can leave it up to him or tell him what you'd like to do.

I once asked him to plan a walk through Montparnesse that would take me to the homes and haunts of Gertrude Stein, Beach, Hemingway, Fitzgerald, etc. We had a wonderful time!!

We've also done Pere Lachaise cemetary twice with him. He enjoys that as much as we do and he's excellent at getting you through the huge maze of a cemetary and seeing all the beautiful graves of famous people, as well as just the ones with interesting stories.

We were in Paris last week and took friends through Pere Lachaise on our own. I really thought that after twice with Michael I could do it on my own. Well, I did a pretty good job, but it took a long time and we missed the ones that are not on the map because they aren't famous, but should be seen because they are lovely and/or unique.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 09:56 AM

<i>...we missed the ones that are not on the map because they aren't famous, but should be seen because they are lovely and/or unique.</i>

Really? How could you know what you didn't see?
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 05:46 PM

Robespierre, get over yourself.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 06:23 AM
ira

Hi D,

In addition to looking up Paris uner &quot;Destinations&quot;, perhaps these will help:

100 Great Things to Do in Paris
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...mp;tid=1277898

Degas’s Paris Walks
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34712768

Kerouac’s Ethnic Walk
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=35095155

Old Jan 15th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Ira. I can always count on you for good info. I actually have a Degas Walk we are planning.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 04:04 PM

Read my post again, Robes... I said that WITH Michael we saw the interesting ones and ON OUR OWN we couldn't find them.

Geez, get it right or get a hobby.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 06:49 AM

What? This <u>is</u> my hobby!

(By the way, &quot;we missed the ones that are not on the map because they aren't famous&quot; does not have a unique meaning. It can be interpreted to mean either that you missed them because they aren't famous, or they aren't on the map because they aren't famous. Tighter diction would help.)