I think Olympic cancelled my flight!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm leaving for Greece tomorrow and am having a small heart attack today. It would appear that Olympic cancelled the flight I booked from Athens to Naxos on 9/17! I have a confirmation/reservation number but their NY offices seem to be closed over the weekend and my two emails have gone unreturned to this point. Has anyone had this happen to them and could you offer me any advice? If it's really cancelled, shouldn't they have notified me?? Or is that just wishful thinking? I'm flying out of Newark tomorrow night. Should I try to find an Olympic desk there to see what's going on? Should I wait until I get to Athens? I've already booked my hotels so this is really throwing a wrench into my plans! Thanks!
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 08:55 AM

I don't mean to be rude, but why do you think your flight is cancelled? It's not unusual for airline offices to be closed over the weekend, and Olympic is notorious for not responding to e-mails.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Because when I try to book a flight on that date between Athens and Naxos, it tells me there are no flights available that day. Also, they haven't charged my credit card yet (which I thought maybe they wouldn't do until closer to the actual flight date but I'm not sure).
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 09:36 AM

The flights might be fully booked, so they are not available for sale. Some systems do not show full flights.

There are 2 flights, one at 1210pm and another at 3.20pm. Not sure why your credit card would not be charged though.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 09:36 AM

YOur flight might be booked with no other flights that day, so they are not accepting additional reservations.

Just a thought.....
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 09:38 AM

Good luck, sweetie darling, because Olympic WILL NEVER answer the phone, nor will they EVER answer an e-mail. I tried for two weeks to call them and I e-mailed them 10 times and they never responded.

Even the FA on my flight from JFK to Athens laughed when I told her no one answers the phone in the NYC office!

"Yes, you are right!" she snorted.

Olympic cancels many of their flights or they are delayed in Greece. YOU SHOULD HAVE BOOKED with Aegean.

Why didn't you ask our sage advice months ago?????????????????

The Great and Powerful Thingorjus
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 09:43 AM

Did you see something on the website saying it was cancelled, or were you just trying to check if it was still listed and found it missing? The plane for the flight to Naxos is a very small one, so it gets full fast. Once it's full you can't book it anymore, so naturally if you were trying to do so you wouldn't be successful. Wait until you get to Athens and go to the Olympic desk to double check. I'm betting you weren't cancelled. Worst-case scenario: you'll take the train to Piraeus and catch the next ferry to Naxos.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 09:43 AM

Do you have a paper ticket or an e-ticket? I can't understand why your credit card has not been charged.

How did you purchase your ticket? Over the Internet?
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 09:46 AM

That's a good point. If you received an e-ticket or confirmation/reservation number then you can present this at the Olympic desk as proof of record. If you never received anything then you'd better start looking into alternatives just in case.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks... I do have a reservation number/confirmation page so that's easing my mind somewhat. I booked the flight weeks ago on the internet (after calling Olympic, being on hold for half an hour, dealing with a less than helpful rep and then having her hang up on me while trying to transfer my call to someone else). There was no "this flight is cancelled" message. I actually just checked to see if the price had changed and then saw that the flight didn't seem to exist anymore. I thought if the flight was full it would say "no more economy seats available" or something to that effect, and not "there are no flights this day." I would've flown Aegean but they don't fly to Naxos.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 11:26 AM
ira

Hi 2G,

Good advice from Broth

Old Sep 8th, 2007, 12:31 PM
hoopsa

You can have this conversation with experienced travelers all over the world:

Q: Have you ever flown Olympic?

A: Olympic?!?! Bwaaaahhh! - haaaah! - haaahh! -haaahhh! -- haahhh! ...

Old Sep 8th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

(= Yeah, that was the strong impression I was getting from other posts... for some reason, I thought maybe I'd get lucky!
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 01:06 PM

If you go to the Olympic website under "Online Services/Schedules" they currently list 2 flights Athens to Naxos: flight 002 at 12:10 and flight 006 at 15:20. If you're flight is one of these, I'm guessing it's simply sold out. If you're flight is something else, then I'd be worried.

Paul
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 05:28 AM

9/17???The day after elections Day???
Sure ,you flight is fully booked.

Expect some ''heavy overbookings'' as thousands of electors return back to Naxos.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 05:33 AM

I have yet to deal with ANY airline which waited to charge a credit card until "closer to the flight date"...of course, are you certain your credit card hasn't been charged?
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 05:59 AM

Dukey's right, the rule of just about any vendor in my experience is charge the client's card first, ask questions later....

I would get in touch with your cc company and see if there is a pending charge (it is possible to do this on-line now in the case of many banks cc cards).

Even if you have a supposedly confirmed seat, the other info re elections, etc. suggests strongly that you should develop a backup plan.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 11:27 PM

When flights are full the Olympic website shows no flights available, so if you have a confirmation number your booking is still firm.

I just returned from Greece last night, having taken three Olympic flights in the last two weeks. As ever, all flights were on time, my luggage arrived safely, and the cabin crew even managed to crack a smile or two. Relax - Olympic is not as bad as some people make out - and it's the only airline that flies to Naxos.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 05:21 AM

Heimdall, that is YOUR experience with Olympic. Who are you to tell me about MY experience with Olympic? Your flights may have been on time, but mine were not.

I have travelled all over the world and have flown about 25 different airlines. I was unable to contact an airline until I flew Olympic. It is REPREHENSIBLE not to answer your telephones or answer your emails if you are running an airline, in my opinion.

The Great and Powerful Thingorjus
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 05:22 AM

I was never unable to contact an airline until I flew Olympic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -