I think I need to take a walkabout

Feb 10th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

I think I need to take a walkabout

Although I would love to find something in the states and use my tourism dollars locally, I posted this on the US and Lounge threads. In case I can't find a good US route, I know there are many great Euro walkabouts and touring companies that handle the luggage........

Author: gyppielou
Date: 02/11/2009, 12:11 am
Anyone know any interesting walking tours in the states. I could easily see doing Tuscany, Provence or Ireland, walking from inn to inn, with baggage service. Doing 5, 10, and 20 mile days interspersed. I could see doing something with and without a group, the flexiblitiy to head out at sunrise and meet the group, or not at days end.

But, during these trying economic times, I would like to consider a US walkabout.

Does anyone have suggestions of areas of beautiful scenery and lodging in those parameters? A few years ago I did the 60mile Breast Cancer Walk, and don't have it in me to repeat the experience. But would just like a nice area to walkabout and explore.

Please feel free to also suggest out of US destinations and land logistic companies.

Thanks for any ideas.
This long hard winter has me craving a long walk.
g

Feb 10th, 2009, 10:44 PM
tod

gyppielou - I did a walk with The Wayfarers in the Loire Valley, some years back and receive new brochures from them each year.
I don't have one to hand but do remember seeing walks offered all over the world incl. the states - or maybe Canada.

Try and do a web search. The company is based in the USA.
Feb 11th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much tod
Feb 11th, 2009, 07:50 AM

http://www.scottwalking.com/

I've never used them but the site looks interesting...
Feb 11th, 2009, 08:35 AM

Take a look at Classic Journeys and Country Walkers. They offer walking tours in the USA as well as the rest of the world.
Feb 11th, 2009, 08:41 AM

I think there are a million places you could obviously do this in the states, but I don't personally know about those kind of tour companies. But I could see walking a lot in various places in California (like Napa or Big Sur areas, or just above San Francisco, say Marin), as well as in New Mexico, Colorado, the Appalachians, Vermont, etc.

Here's one company that seems to do what you want
http://www.hiddentrails.com
Feb 11th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Again, thanks everyone. Who knew I could spend about $8000 for a couple to walk from inn to inn? Or could go with a different company and do it yourself itinary for about$1400 a couple! So much to consider, choosing which place in the world to walk, and then choosing how to do it on my own terms!

It seems with enough research I could come up with my own path and pay a currier to move our luggage and give them a huge tip and still come out on top......unless we opt for a hard to reach, exclusive area.
Feb 11th, 2009, 11:55 PM

ATG and the Ramblers do trips all over Europe
Feb 12th, 2009, 01:50 AM

Gyppie, I know that you are looking for something in the States but I had a great, great experience with a company callle Spanish Steps. It was our first time ever with an organized walk so we were very skeptical, but we absolutely loved it. They focus on the Camino de Santiago (St. James Way) going through Northern Spain. It was absolutely perfect for us.
Feb 12th, 2009, 05:54 AM

Unfortunately in the U.S., I think most people would think the idea of walking all day to a destination a bit crazy. They would think, "that is why we have cars!"

So I think it will be difficult to find a company to do such a thing, but if you are willing to plan your own tour, I have to recommend northern Michigan to you.

The northern end of the lower peninsula has beautiful harbor towns and wineries and unique destinations like Mackinac Island and Sleeping Bear Dunes.

The upper peninsula is more rugged, but with amazing scenery such as multiple waterfalls and Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore along Lake Superior.

It is a beautiful, fairly undiscovered part of the country. I don't know if the distances would make walking too much, but perhaps you could combine your walking with a car at times. Perhaps someone would drop your car at your destination. You would definitely need a car if you flew into Chicago.

Anyway, you should spend a few minutes researching it. Northern Michigan in the summer is why we Michiganders put up with southern Michigan all winter. It is just a glorious place to see.
Feb 12th, 2009, 05:54 AM

Doh! I thought I was in the U.S. section of this question. I will go re-post my answer there.