Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I need your help - tracking down my front cover!

Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Hey folks

Today I sold an image via a stock agency - it's of a baby elephant reaching up to touch an adult, perhaps mum - for use on what I think is a travel brochure.

Front cover full size.

The location is North America and dates of usage between September and December 2007.

It says it's to be used in direct mail/ brochures for ferries/ cruises in thr travel and tourism industry.

Front cover!!!!!

I'm guessing that the company offers holidays to Africa so if any of you come across this image on a front cover, please keep it, contact me and I'd really, really, really like to receive a copy. Of COURSE I'll cover your costs!

Thanks so much!

Here's the image:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kavey/1214761179/

I know this isn't a standard thing here in Fodors but I've never made a sale like this before and I'm excited beyond belief and eager to see it in situ. The stock agency, quite reasonably, does not give out customer details to photographers because it would not be fair for them to have constant requests for portfolio copies.

And yet... I'd love to see one!
Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:47 AM
hdm

Kavey,
What a great photo -- congratulations! I'll keep my eye out for it. You should be very proud!
Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!

And I'm really sorry - I meant to post this in the Africa forum - as I think it would likely be used on a brochure related to Africa holidays.

I thought I had but when I clicked on my name I saw I'd put it into Europe instead.

If the moderators want to delete it from here, that's OK.

That said, it could conceivably be a world-wide travel brochure in which case maybe it's not too odd a post?

Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:53 AM
hdm

Well, I never would have seen it in the Africa forum so I'm glad for the error. In fact, I think you should put it in the lounge.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

I just tried twice to post it in the Africa forum but am having no luck - will have to try later.

In the meantime, many thanks for keeping your eyes open for me!
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:21 AM
ira

Hi K,

Good for you.

Good pic, too.

Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:25 AM

I've never heard of a company that won;t provide a photographer with copies of the final materials their photos were used in. I've spent a lot of time at ad agencies and sending any photographer from 10 to 25 copies of materials with their photo is standard.

At a minimum the agency should give you the name of the purchaser so you can contact them and ask for samples.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Perhaps it depends on the agency but Alamy, a well known and well respected agency here in the UK, have a very firm policy of not providing such information. They provide usage, dates and general info about the publication/ industry but not the customer details.

Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:56 PM

Great photo! Thanks for sharing with us Europeans ;-) - and congrats on the sale.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:02 PM

What a beautiful photo, Kavey! Congratulations! You have every reason to be proud and excited. Someone is bound to see it. I'll certainly keep on the watch.
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated. I know the chances are small but I figured it was worth a shot.

I've received a comment that it might be Canada rather than USA as the size of the publication is given as A4 but then again it may be that this is the nearest UK standard size to the size of the publication rather than exact...

Am off to Ireland in a few mins so no internet access for a week.
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:57 AM

Great photo Kavey - congrats!

Have a good trip

Steve
Aug 24th, 2007, 03:56 AM

Wonderful picture Kavey! I'll keep my eye out for you.

Congrats!

Monica
Sep 2nd, 2007, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!

(I'm back).
Sep 2nd, 2007, 11:42 AM

Great Kavey, I love it when one of our fodorites who are not professionals get notice. CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Sep 2nd, 2007, 12:25 PM

Great photo Kavey - by te way if it was Canada it would be letter - not A4
Sep 2nd, 2007, 12:42 PM

I say - there aren't any elephants within a thousand miles of here! - Old joke.

(Seriously: kudos for a wonderful image.)
Sep 2nd, 2007, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone... I knew US uses letter not A4 - I didn't know if Canada used same as US or UK!

Mimi, I can't tell you the buzz. I know I'll never be a pro (the usual definition is 50% or more of one's total income earned from it). And after taking off commission and taxes, converting to GBP and paying conversion charges, there isn't much left. Perhaps I might earn as much as 2% (and it's only that high a % because my income is a bit patchy at the mo). BUT the thrill of the sale is indescribable.

The only one I like better is when someone buys one of my prints for their walls at home. To me that tells me they must really love the image and that is even more thrilling!
Sep 2nd, 2007, 12:57 PM

But what a tribute to your talent if money isn't great because you would still go on snapping pictures!!!!!
Sep 2nd, 2007, 11:15 PM
Original Poster

I will certainly continue snapping away - this latest happening has given me renewed enthusiasm (not that mine was flagging anyway!).

And today I'm off down to the Gallery within Chelsea Gallery - an amateur photo club that I belong to is hosting a photography exhibition called London by Londoners and two of my images are in it.

(If anyone is in London and fancies going, here are the details):

http://gallery.lpmg.org.uk/

Actually, wondering whether I should post this as a separate post? Don't know whether it falls foul of the Fodors rules or not as it's free entry.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO