Reload this Page >

I need your advice! :)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 03:04 AM
Adam

Message: The opportunity has presented itself to me that I can go to some of the Greek Islands (Corfu, Ios, & Santorini) in the middle of November. I am unsure if I should take this option. I will be travelling all over Italy, and if I minimize my stay in that country, is it worth going to the Greek Islands so late in the year??? I'm not sure if it's worth going during the middle of Nov. Can anyone provide some advice? Thanks! <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 09:34 AM
Robin

I don't know how to answer a "should I" question like this. My only input is that those three locations are pretty far from one another, so to do all three would definitely impact your available time in Italy. Travel time alone would be significant, even if you fly. Perhaps Corfu alone would be an interesting diversion. <BR> <BR>As to the weather, you will not get "fun in the sun" in November, and some tourist activities will have shut down, but you may actually have a more authentic experience. <BR> <BR>This isn't a lot of help, but I think you just have to do soime prioritizing.

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 10:53 AM
Rose

Hi Adam, I've been to Corfu, Rhodes, and Mykonos. I found Corfu rather a disappointment, as there isn't too much on the island in respect to history, ruins etc (except the monastary). Alot of Brits camp out down there, as they get great package deals.. <BR> <BR>I truly regret not getting to Santorini, which is said to be the remainder of Atlantis by some scholars. <BR>The reason I didn't go was that it was a 8 hr ferry ride from Athens' port, although they may have faster ferrys by now. <BR> <BR>The lateness of the year shouldn't be an issue, as Greece is a warm destination year round..just ask the Brits! <BR> <BR>I don't know if you're fixed on these islands, if not, I found Rhodes to be very interesting from a historical point of view. I say go for it, but be sure to do your reserach on travel options, costs, etc.

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 10:58 AM
rose

PS Ios and Mykonos are known as the "party" islands, at least when I was there. Corfu has a party place as well on the west side of the island called the Pink Palace. If you go to the Pink Palace watch your belongings carefully, as there are alot of broke students hanging out there. I took the warning and stayed away, I suppose it depends on your age...

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 03:59 PM
Christina

I'm not sure about this but I seem to recall reading that Nov. is one of the worst times in the Greek Isles so you should check that out -- I think there is some notoriously bad weather and storms on the Aegean at that time that makes it very rough or something.

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 10:22 AM
travelbug

check out <BR> <BR>travel.yahoo.com/t/europe/greece/essent.html <BR> <BR>It says Spring and Fall (to end of Nov) are the best times to go.

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 05:40 AM
Daniel

I just got back from Corfu. We have friends who live there. It's a great place if you go to the right places (not the pink palace). Avoid the tourist areas. I agree that it is not as much of a historical place, but it is a spectacular Greek island. Feel free to e-mail me if you would like any specific information.

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 06:39 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Adam, The choice is simple. If you are <BR>already in Italy then forget Greece and go to Sicily. The weather is comparable <BR>and there are as many Greek ruins in <BR>Sicily as in Greece. Do not miss my fav <BR>place in Sicily---Taormina---and hit the <BR>Greek temples near Agrigento.

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 04:18 PM
dar

I need some advise, I woul;d like to find a boat, sail boat or whatever to take us to the differant Islands, in sept. With about 3 to four couples, wirh a captain. We dont want a big fancy boat, about 30 or 40 feet. <BR> Thanks a [email protected]

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 04:25 PM
mms

Q please get professional help!