Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I need some recommendations on Tuscany towns, quick!

May 14th, 2003, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Help me fill in a couple days of my honeymoon. We are leaving in 5 weeks and I need to make up my mind quick.
After the riviera we are spending 3 days in Florence, then have a blank day, then one night in San Gimignano, then another empty day, then 2 nights in Siena and on to Rome for 3 nights. Please help recommend a great place between Florence and San Gim, and a place between San Gim and Siena. We do not have a car so would like to be able to walk aroung whatever towns we visit and access these towns by bus.
May 14th, 2003, 03:18 PM

Hi - Your message in not quite clear (to me). Are the "blank days" actually nights where you want to stay somewhere else, or is the first the day when you leave Florence and sleep in San G. and the second the day after you sleep in San G. and then go to Siena?

If it is the latter, you will be able to fill the first day nicely just enjoying San G. You can also spend all of the other blank day tooling around Siena, where it seems you would only have one full day.

If it is the former, reconsider: you are moving an awful lot for people on their honeymoon. Why not relax into the place?

May 14th, 2003, 03:19 PM

Have a look at Peruggia
May 14th, 2003, 03:29 PM

we stayed in cortona 2 nights. i think the hotel was the san michelle (karen brown recommended b&b). it was nice to have lots of english speaking folk there (university of georgia has an art school "outpost" there).
May 14th, 2003, 03:38 PM

Michelle, You have 5 nites in central Tuscany it seems. That is great--spend it all at one hotel and day trip from there. I would consider Castel Bigozzi--:20 from San Gim. and the same to Siena.
May 14th, 2003, 04:11 PM

Investigate Lucca. This is a city to walk around especially the walls.
May 15th, 2003, 02:15 AM

Lucca is off your beaten track, it is west of Florence. I agree with Bob to base yourself centrally and day trip from there, they are all very accessible to get to.