I NEED A Rijksmuseum Fix!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2014, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We will be flying into Ams this July but planned to take the Thalys from Schipol to Paris immediately after arriving. Now I am wondering if it might be worthwhile to store the luggage and take the train into town and a cab or tram to the Rijks. I visited last while it was under renovation but would like to see the newly-opened facility.

I have several favorite paintings I would like to re-visit and we will be spending four nights in Paris so getting there late in the day/evening doesn't seem like any sort of sacrifice.

Still, I also wonder if we should just save it for another time.

Any comments appreciated and thank you.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How jet lagged are you likely to be on arrival? I'd probably do it if I weren't completely exhausted (I fly from the west coast). However, I haven't been since it reopened after the renovations so I can't speak to what the lines are like. That would be my only other concern. As you've been to Amsterdam before you know how easy it is to get into the city from Schiphol.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree.

It's quite simple to do as you know, but I would wait until you're there and see how you feel.

You might want go straight for the comfy Paris-bound train and actually sleep if you're wiped...
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the kind comments. Will be flying First Class in lie-flat seats so "that feeling" shouldn't be a big issue, fortunately.

I am inclined to purchase the on-line admission tickets and hopefully the lines to get in won't be unbearable. Paris can wait a few hours for this IMO.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 08:42 AM

Go if you can, it's a stunning museum, the painting look even more beautiful now than before the renovation.

I was there in September, on a weekday, and there were no queues. This was at about 10.30 am. We have museumcards, and no tickets were needed, we just went straight in.
July is probably busier though.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Tulips. The line to just give up the e-ticket would be my biggest concern and if we do this I will simply reserve a very late Thalys from the airport. However, I know there is a bus service from the airport which stops at the museum so big question is: store luggage at the airport and reserve a late Thalys from there or cart the luggage to Centraal Station, store it there, and take the Thalys from there.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 09:01 AM

When we were there in September there were no long queues at all, not at the ticket desk either. There were some school groups, but it was not crowded inside the museum. maybe we were just lucky.
You could take the train to Centraal, store luggage, and leave again from Centraal.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 09:18 AM

I visited the museum three weeks ago Ducky, so I recommend you make the stop! It is quite wonderful, as a building in itself, and its treasures.

If flying First Class, you will get your sleep, and I can't think of anything better to do on your on your arrival. Actually, I would recommend an overnight stop, if you can, and also take in a couple of other stops: Walk around Jordan, the Amsterdam museum, a wonderful meal at Blauw.

I would prefer to store the luggage at Central Station (I am assuming you can), and then take the tram to the museum - its only about 15/20 minutes.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

The overnight stop idea is very tempting I can tell you...geez what a problem to have.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 11:11 AM

Well Dukey, if you have not confirmed your hotel in Paris for the first night, why not stay in Amsterdam on arrival? Click on my name, and find a recent Trip report for Amsterdam.

I can highly recommend the Grand Hotel Amrath for a stellar hotel experience, that would be very convenient for you. Check the rates out on Hotels.com. I stayed during very low season, hence the great price. If traveling at high season, price might be substantially more.

Best Ger
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional responses. After mulling things over have decided to deduct one night from Paris and have already e-mailed the hotel there to modify the reservation.

Ger, I appreciate your rec re the Amrath which I am familiar with but have decided to stay a bit closer to the Rijksmuseum and will also use Bus 197 into town from the airport.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 05:53 PM

Hi Dukey,

I too just read O’Reilly’s great trip report about her museum weekend in Amsterdam and agree that staying a night there to do the Rijksmuseum on your way to Paris is an excellent idea.

Let us know how it works out…
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 10:00 PM

You might also want to check nearer the time on the availability of individual pictures, which might or might not have been loaned elsewhere. Now everything's in chronological layout (apart from the "Gallery of Honour" for the best known paintings), you might also need to check in advance where they might be.

The new entrance gallery arrangements are a vast improvement, but the way the chronological order is disposed across the two different wings doesn't fit easily with the limited number of cross-over points between the wings. You may find there's a fair bit of back-tracking and up-and-down.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 10:18 PM
kja

I can't imagine being anything other than invigorated by even a few moments at the Riksmuseum. Go for it! You could do FAR worse than bidding a jet-lagged greeting to any one of those magnificent works of art. And I LOVE that you are now planning to stay the night!
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 11:40 PM
Original Poster

Well, I am going to be mightily disappointed if the "Sampling Officials" has been loaned out for sure.

And as to staying the night, it just makes sense and I appreciate the suggestion to do so.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 11:49 PM
kja

OK, be disappointed if that's the case, but then take a deep breath and realize what ELSE you are seeing. I'm so envious!
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 03:40 AM

hi Duckey: Glad to hear you are staying for the day. Be sure to visit Blauw for your evening meal. Book ahead.

http://www.restaurantblauw.nl/

Also, if you have some time to spare, there is a lovely little photo exhibition at the Jewish museum - Shetl in the City:

http://www.jhm.nl/current/exhibitions/dan-zollmann

And try to get to the Foam.

regards Ger