Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I just don't get all the complaining abut Vienna ...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2004, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I confess to being dumbfounded by the mixed reviews that Vienna regularly receives on this board (see recent thread asking for recommendations of Vienna vs. Budapest). I spent 3 days there last June, and though the weather was dreary for 2 of them, which could happen anywhere, I found the city to be interesting and beautiful, with lots to do, great museums, good food, etc.

Most surprising of the comments I repeatedly see here are those describing the Viennese as overly cold, informal, and even unfriendly. My experience could not have been further from that, as most of those I encountered were warm, outgoing, helpful, and had a sense of humor.

In contrast, my experience in Budapest, which we visited immediately upon leaving Vienna, and which most here seem to adore, was only OK. Though there are certainly beautiful areas in the city, I also found many sections to be gray, dark and depressing, and felt like I was stuck in the Communist bloc circa 1958. And the people, by and large, were much more reserved and chilly than I found in Austria. Most (not all) service providers such as hotel clerks and waiters provided adequate but cool and humorless service.

While I'd return to Vienna wihtout hesitation, I have no desire to go back to Budapest.

I guess, as they say, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 04:27 AM
ira

One man's meat is another man's poison.

Old Dec 21st, 2004, 05:44 AM

Hello Larry_M,

I agree with you about Vienna. Our experience there was great. As you say, it's a beautiful city with heaps of interesting stuff to do and wonderful museums and galleries (and I would add churches). Without exception, the people we encountered were friendly and helpful.

Unlike you, we also had a marvellous time in Budapest. Clerks, waiters and people like that were friendly towards us. I don't know how much Hungarian you know, but I know a few polite expressions like Hello, Goodbye, Please, Thank you, It's beautiful, and so on. I think it may have been that that opened people up to us but, whatever it was, they were nice to us wherever we went.

We also had an excellent experience of Prague on the same trip.

Prior to our going on that trip, different friends had told us their pet theories about which of the three cities was best. I was expecting that, once I'd seen the places myself, a favourite would emerge for me too. But that did not happen. I appreciated each of those destinations more or less equally, although they all were different.

I've never been to Italy, but there seems to be an eternal debate about Venice, Florence and Rome that runs along similar lines. Some people love Venice and think Rome is only so-so. Others think the sun rises and sets on Rome, and they wouldn't give Venice the time of day. And so it goes. As you say, chocolate and vanilla.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 05:55 AM

I think Ira has made a good point but sometimes you have to try to discern the outlook behind the words.

This board has many types of people and you have to take opinions about places for what they are worth.

I've said it before and I'll say it again..you never know FOR SURE until you actually go there.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 06:53 AM

Or as the French say, "One man's fish is another man's poisson."
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 07:41 AM

Why can't you "get all the complaining?" They are merely opinions others have expressed about their feelings and experiences. I don't consider these observations "complaints", they are merely impressions about a city that wasn't as much to the posters' liking as other cities they have visited.

I must consider myself in the same group. On our visits to Prague, Vienna and Budapest last year, Vienna was my least favorite as well. Our tour of Schonbrunn was very interesting; the rehearsal of the Lippizans we attended was great; the Belvedere has wonderful views of the city and we enjoyed seeing the Klimts (which is why we went); the concert at the Musikverein was terrific.

We went, we saw, we enjoyed, but not as much as Prague and Budapest. Not complaints, merely my observations. I'm sorry Larry, I agree with the others; I have no desire to return to Vienna, but would go back to Prague and Budapest in a heartbeat!
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Hi Judy - Thanks for the reinforcement. We did learn the Hungarian language equivalents of the standard phrases you mentioned, as we try to do in any country. And as I said there were exceptions ... we had dinner in a very nice restaurant (don't recall the name) in the Watertown section, and our waiter and the entire staff were great. But on the whole, I just felt more welcome in Vienna than in Budapest.

Prague, which we visited after Budapest, was very beautiful, though much more touristy. But we loved it there.

As a dedicated Italophile, the words "Italy" and "so-so" are mutually exclusive of each other in my vocabulary.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 07:52 AM
MaureenB

I repeat myself:
We were in Vienna last June and found it elegant, beautiful, and spotlessly clean. I would term it 'sedate', not 'cold', certainly not 'dismal'. Everyone we encountered there was unfailingly polite-- which some Americans may assume is 'cold'.
I think it's unfortunate people harshly criticize other cities with which they are only briefly familiar. It does help to get opinions (that's what this forum is for), but I wish people wouldn't state their experiences so unequivocably, as though everyone will experience the same things when they travel.

Old Dec 21st, 2004, 07:53 AM

I don't complain about Vienna either, it's a nice place. I just didn't fall in love with it and will not be rushing back right away.

Just as in real life relationships,
'what does she SEE in him?' That's a rhetorical question, I just mean that there is chemistry, or not, among people, and chemistry between people and baseball, and people and escargot, and people and cities, and there's no accounting for taste.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Hi Giovanna - I think the last sentence of my first message conceded that this is just one person's opinion. And maybe "complaining" wasn't exactly the right word to use, I was really just trying to elicit some responses.

I still like Vienna better ... nana, nana, na na ;-)
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 08:02 AM

That's great Larry--Viva Vienna. Merry Christmas and great big neener, neener, neener back atcha!