Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I have another Italy question, per favore!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 01:28 PM
Donna

First of all, thanks to all who answered my "Planning First Trip Ever to Italy" post. I do indeed understand about the extended high season; I understand Italy is quite lovely in October. On that note, what is the weather like in November? Does it get cold and rainy? The reason I ask is because we are planning the de riguer first time trip to Italy which will, of course, include Venice. I've heard that the Venetian weather is quite volatile and I wanted to try and avoid a time of year when the tides may be high. Are the lower prices in November worth the possibility of less than favorable weather? I've got tons of time to plan this, and I really appreciate any insight any of you can offer. BTW -- Rex, thanks for your very helpful reply.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 03:51 PM
Howard

There is a good chance that there might be some flooding in Venice in October or November. Two years ago, we were there around November 22-25 and we missed the flooding by a week. However, don't let that discourage you! Planks are set up in the flooded areas, many hotels supply rubber boots....and the city is still great! <BR>Temperature-wise it was in the high 50s. Perfect leather jacket weather!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 06:10 AM
dale

i guess i've been in venice in all months but november. i don't know why the weather would be much different in november than october. by the way, as of yesterday, air fares were reduced considerably in november.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 06:15 AM
Karen

If you look at climate charts, you will see that November is the rainiest month in Italy. That doesn't mean there are never nice sunny days, but rainy and chilly is what I would expect and pack for.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 06:30 AM
Diane

Donna - step back and think a minute and consider the cost benefit and whether there is that much of a difference in the long run. If it is "only" a couple hundred dollars, and you are more confident that you'll be happy with the weather in October, I'd say go for it. I know we spent more on our airfare in May than if we'd gone in, say March. But our anniversary was in May. And we were pretty sure we'd have lovely weather. So we swallowed hard and bought $750/ea tickets for good flight times on US Air. It was a fabulous trip. And I don't regret the extra expense one tiny bit. We deserved it!