Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I did it! Two weeks in Europe with only carry on luggage!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being the paranoid I've-got-to-have-lots-of-choices-and-I-must-look-fashionable type, I didn't think I'd be able to pull it off but I did. The DH did too, but he always packs light.

What helped:
We had laundry facilities the first 9 days and didn't take any intr European flights.

What didn't:
Weather extremes made it dicey, high 80's to low 30's, but overall it was easier to make do with what I had for cold weather than when it was hot.

PROS:
1. The lost luggage issue is eliminated.

2. If you miss a connection it's easier to get rerouted if you don't have checked bags. You can't stand by for the next flight if they can't get your bag on. (Supposedly)

3. It was easier to get all our luggage in the truck of the rental car. (We were travelling with another couple who took HUGE suitcases.)

4. On your return, you don't have to go through the hassle of claiming your bag and rechecking it once you clear customs.

5. It's easier to unpack when you get home because everything is dirty.

CONS:

1. It limits your shopping, although that could be a good thing for your budget.

2. You have to be able to lift the rollaboard into the overhead bin or have someone with you who can.

Ultimately, the trick is to take only things you love and are comfortable in, and are interchangable. Scarves folded flat in a zip lock bag and jewelery made it easier to dress up at night.

Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:15 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Congratulations! Doesn't it feel like you've been liberated?

As you get more used to it - it will get even easier to take what you need and leave all the extra "stuff" home.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:22 AM

Linda431 - Well done. My DH could take a lesson from yours.

Want to share what you both took.

Sandy
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:35 AM

It can make ALL the difference in how much you enjoy your trip. I found if you take mostly dark clothing and if you take clothes that can be layered and interchanged - it's a breeze. Unless you are going to need to really "dress up" for something, you can even make do with one pair of shoes. Especially if you are going to be traveling by train - less is so important!
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:59 AM
nbujic

Since our luggage was lost twice on the same trip seven years ago , we have traveled with carry ons to Europe, Australia and New Zealand.( from 1-3 weeks).
The only con has been having the bags in transfer - some airports are very, very big.

Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

I absolutely felt liberated!

Here's what hubby took in his 22" rollaboard:
1 pair dress slacks
2 pairs casual pants
3 polo shirts
2 dress shirts
2 ties
1 pair dress shoes
1 windbreaker
5 pairs of socks
5 coolmax underwear (briefs & undershirts that dry overnight)
1 long sleeve t shirt (he wore this under the polos when it was cold.)
1 short sleeve t shirt
1 windbreaker

His extra carry on held the toiletries, my make up & jewelery, and enough drugs to cure whatever we might come down with.

On the plane he wore jeans, a polo shirt, walking shoes and a dark patterned sport coat that went with all his other pants.

I packed:
1 pair long workout pants for lounging
1 pair jeans
1 pair neutral colored capris
1 pair lightweight black pants
1 pair wool black pants (they go with the jacket I wore on the plane)
1 pair beige pants
1 white t shirt
1 light blue t shirt
1 long sleeve cotton turtleneck (white)
1 long sleeve cotton blouse (white)
1 short sleeve cotton blouse (black & tan stripes on white)
1 blue cashmere cardigan
1 dressy sweater that I didn't wear
1 real dressy black silk blouse
1 pair flip flops
1 pair ankle boots with 2" heel
1 pair high heel sandals that I wore once and left in the room
3 silk scarves
1 huge cashmere scarf that doubled as an evening wrap
underwear & socks

I wore on the plane the black wool jacket to the suit pants, lightweight black pants that were comfortable but looked nice, a long sleeve cotton blouse. I tied another sweater around my neck that I could have done without.

At the last minute, I grabbed a lightweight down jacket and was glad I did. It was freezing in Austria & Paris. We managed to get upgrades, so the flight attendents hung it up in the closet for me.

My extra carry on was a small duffle bag that I put my purse into along with books & other odds & ends. I cinched up the straps to take up the slack, then I used it as an overnight bag once we got there.

We did have to buy some extra toiletries when we ran out. HINT FOR NEXT TIME: bring more toothpaste. What they sell in Paris is terrible.

Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 08:55 AM

This is great information! My husband and I are leaving for
London/Paris/Barcelona in just about a week now and this morning I did a "mock up" of our carry-on's thinking it would NEVER work, but it's amazing how much you can get in there! I'm taking only "dressy" things for these cities, and chose things that are light, ultra comfortable and can be rinsed, hung to dry quickly, and are wrinkle resitant (and a couple sweaters to layer if it gets cool). I can even fit TWO pairs of shoes! It is absolutely a liberating feeling, and my husband is just over-the-moon for me that I was able to make it work!
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

You will be sooooo happy you did Laralynn. We did several *** restaurants and my husband kept telling me how proud he was of the way I packed and still looked smashing. Well, to him anyway ;-)
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:15 AM

Linda431 - Thank you for sharing your list. It's those jeans that my DH wants to pack that take up so much room, have got to convince him he doesn't need another pair, just the ones he wears on the plane going over.

Sandy
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:30 AM

Good for you! My traveling buddy/sister and I take only a carry on size suitcase for our trips which last about three weeks, and it works very well. Last years, since I was to be gone for nine weeks, I did bring a very small additional bag for electronics and oddments, but I was able to wear it slung across my chest when I was getting on or off trains.

I take only dark things. Once when my basic color was navy, I bought along some beige pants which worked very well with the navy. HOWEVER, I won't do that again, because they got grubby with just a couple of wearings.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:33 AM
DiG

Hi Linda431:

Congrats! Welcome to the club.

We'd love to bring jeans but aren't comfy for us on the plane. They also need to be laundered and weigh down our bags so we've been passing on them.

My DH wants to bring them this Fall to Germany. Since our trip last May, He's gone from a 52" size to 43" and will continue downward with that issue. I'm so proud of him. He's earned the right to decide 'jeans' for himself.

We do a combo of sink washing with hotel laundry service and either a drop off or do it yourself laudromat.

Our clothes are either silk, cashmere, or mixed blended fabrics, wrinkle resistant, and can all wash & dry overnight. Hence for me the no jeans thing for now.

I'm trying to fancy up my list and cut back at the same time. If you have a minute read my post#7, "My packed 12 day suitcase".

I have a knee replacement so I stay away from high heels. Your list is showing me hints on how I can improve my wardrobe.

Any suggesstions are welcomed.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I traveled with only carry-on for more than 10 years (okay, it's much easier for a guy) and only relapsed when strict rules suddenly appeared. But now I have adapted and am back to carry-on for trips of less than 2 weeks. The new rules also allowed me to realize that I was taking some items that I didn't need -- so those are eliminated now also.

I would say the main point is to know what you can really wash effectively in a bathroom lavatory or bathtub and be sure that it is dry within 36 hours in any circumstances.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 11:18 AM

I forgot to mention this in my previous post. We were in Siena talking with a young woman. When we told her that we travel with only a carry-on size suitcse, she looked rather stricken. Then she told us that she brings one suitcase just for her shoes!
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 11:20 AM

I'm curious about the weight limit?
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 11:21 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I give packing classes (yes, don't ask ) and am totally amazed at how many women do take a 19-21 inch bag just for their shoes (!) . . . . .
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 11:36 AM

I'm planning to tour Paris and Provence for three weeks with one 20-inch carryon and one totebag/backpack. I find with the hotter weather, I can take lighter clothing but I need to take more in order to change because of the "melting from the heat" factor.

I plan on wearing one pair of black zip-off Contourwear pants, turqoise Contourwear stetch top and black Contourwear zip jacket, plus mult-coloured scarf, with black Clark Privo shoes, on the plane. I also will have my cream Pashmina shawl/blanket that I carry with me on every plane, also the Eddie Bauer pillow/down blanket for the overnight Air Canada flight from Montreal to Paris.

I will pack in my Heys 4 WD 20-inch carryon:

Bottoms: Black Contourwear zip skirt, khaki Royal Robbins nylon crop pants, khaki Eddie Baur linen capris, white Eddie Bauer Bermuda shorts, navy Ex Officio dres, black modal skirt/halter dress.

Tops: White Cool-max short-sleeve shirt, red Contourwear sleeveless top, white Chico's linen long-sleeve shirt/jacket, black and white dressy Lululemon strethy sleeveless top, peach linen tunic top

Misc: 1 swimsuit, with matching pareo, 2 pr. Ex Officio underpants, 1 extra bra, 1 silk sleep top, 2 pr. silk slip pants, 2 pr. Smartwool socks, 1 Renovere black/gold rain jacket, 1 Tilley sun hat.

My problem is shoes - I plan on taking a pair of black Crocs and a pair of black Camper ballet flats that I bought in Paris in March. I plan on buying another pair of shoes and don't want to leave any at home. Any suggestions? Also, I plan to pack a nylon bag to check with laundry for the trip back home, so I can pack more souvenirs to carry on, certainement!
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 11:41 AM

Good job Linda431, you're an inspiration. I want to take an even smaller bag my next trip, because I don't want to fight getting the 21"er in the overhead and on trains. I will remember your wise words while packing.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Yes, shoes were definately a problem. I just convinced myself that I would wear the walking shoes (black of course) on the plane and wear them for casual places.

I have found that I can get away with less pairs of shoes if I don't bring a dress or skirt. The pantsuit was dressy and even more so with the silk top with rhinetone buttons.

I managed to cram the 2" ankle boots (microfibre outside, lined in leather) and the heels into the same shoe bag,laying on their sides. I put them in the middle of the pile and filled in around them.

The flip flops I just stuck in a pocket.

The jeans I took were dark and fitted and flared at the ankle. They were a tad long for the walking shoes but worked out great with boots for a dressier look.

Hubby's jeans I was able to wash several times while we had access to a washer & dryer. The last 5 days I just told him to get over having to have clean jeans. I think they're more comfortable when they've been worn a few times myself. I don't find them comforable enough to wear on the plane but he does.

Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 12:31 PM

thanks so much. I've heard you can only take ONE bag on now, including purse, to Europe. But I am curious what brand of suitcase any would recommend.

Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 12:41 PM

I believe that you can take only ONE carryon bag thru Great Britain, not any of the others on the continent - check with your airline to confirm.

I'm flying Air Canada to CDG and I can take two carry-ons - one 20 inch Heys suitcase and a backpack inside a totebag, as long as they weigh less than 20 lbs. each.

Check out the Heys 4 WD suitcase - it is wonderful! I hate dragging a bag behind me and this one just glides along beside me, with my totebag sitting on top. It is very lightweight and I can easily lift it up into the overhead compartment - at 5 foot 2, that isn't an often-said statement

You can order online at www.heys.ca, no financial interest, just a very satisfied customer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -