I am totally train confused

May 15th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

I am totally train confused

I would like to travel from Rome to Venice on June 15 and then again from Venice to Florence on June 17. I have read so much that I my eyes are crossing. I have read the anyone can get an Amica fare and then another place says you have to be Italian. The different types of trains are also confusing. I just want a speedy and moderately confortable train. I've read that you need to purchase ahead and others say not necessary. What type of train - I would prefer a speedy trip but not if it means paying double for a 30 min. earlier arrival. I seek balance. I will also need to travel from Florence to Siena on June 20. Is the bus my best bet? Can I purchase the tickets when I arrive in Florence? I would rather purchase my tickets in Italy but want to get the best fare I can. Is is possible to make this simple and economical? Thanks for any light you can shed on this request.
May 15th, 2008, 06:22 PM
J62

From Rome to Venice I recommend any of the ES or ES* trains, 2nd class. They take 4.5hrs, are clean, comfortable. Look at www.trenitalia.com for schedules.

Yes, you can get an Amica fare - they must be purchased a day before departure, but tickets with that discount are limited, so don't wait till the last day.

There is no need to purchase tickets before you get to Italy. If you can, via www.trenitalia.com it's one less thing to take care of when there, but not a big deal if you don't. Many people report problems purchasing over the website.
May 15th, 2008, 08:58 PM

sewitall,
Yes you can get the Amica fare but there is a limited number so try as early as possible. Basically you pay for speed and comfort. I think second class in AV, ES, ICPlus, and IC are fine (the trains are listed from the top of the line). Play with the schedule http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html
and see what it is worth to give up speed.

Yes the bus is better Florence to Siena http://www.sitabus.it/sita-toscana/Firenze-Siena07.pdf and you can purchase the tickets when you go to the bus station.

Henry
May 16th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Original Poster

The Trenitalia website in a little confusing, but I have been looking around it again and think I have it figured out. I might get my ticket ahead, but I keep reading how the Trenitalia website is not working well. If you buy a standard ticket and miss your train, can you get on a later one without penalty? I am not sure how early I can check out of my apartment but would like to leave as early as possible in the morning to have some of the day left in Venice. The Trenitalia website asks you to choose a car and seat number. I didn't see choices, but just a blank section for a number???? Will it just asign seats for you? How much space is there for luggage on the train?
May 16th, 2008, 03:00 AM

The "advantages" of the bus to Sienna are it stops in town vs at the train station at the bottom of the hill. It is sometimes faster than the train if you don't get a direct one.

It allows you to see the wonderful roadside all the way and sit very close to everybody else.....bring garlic.
May 16th, 2008, 03:04 AM

<<If you buy a standard ticket and miss your train, can you get on a later one without penalty?>>
For ES and IC+ trains, your ticket reserves you an assigned seat on a particular train. You will need a new ticket and pay additional fees to rereserve on a different train.

For IC trains, having a ticket does not reserve you a seat. You just get on any IC train for your destination and search for a seat. You can pay a small additional fee to reserve a seat. If you miss the train, your reserved seat is lost, but the rest of your ticket is still good and you can just get on another train.

<< The Trenitalia website asks you to choose a car and seat number. I didn't see choices, but just a blank section for a number???? Will it just asign seats for you?>>
This feature is for people who are trying to choose seats next to others who have already purchased tickets and have assigned seats. Let the system will assign seats for you.

<<How much space is there for luggage on the train?>>
Overhead racks will fit most suitcases as long as you can lift them above our head. ES trains also have racks at the end of the car for large suitcases and gaps between seats where you might fit your bags. There's plenty of space--if your luggage won't fit, you're probably carrying too much.