Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trains within Italy - prebook? First class/high speed?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are traveling to Italy June 26th to July 8. We are planning on taking trains between Rome Florence and Venice.

Should we book these in advance? If so, how do we pick up our prebooked tickets? Any certain website I should use?

Lastly, is there any difference between first class/coach or high speed trains?

Thanks so much for any info!!!
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:47 AM

Everything you ever wanted to know about the Italian train system:

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/trains/index.htm

The best place to research schedules and prebook Italian train ticket is the official site:

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Your routes are popular and have frequent trains. I wouldn't bother to prebook anything before you arrive in Italy. Many people have lots of trouble booking tickets on the Trenitalia website and find it incredibly frustrating.

From your other post, I notice that you are arriving in Rome and traveling directly to Florence. I have done the same thing. There are hourly departures from Rome to Florence.

I suggest your research all your train trips at the Trenitalia site and print out schedules. Upon arrival in Rome, it's difficult to predict how long it will take you to get through immigration, gather your luggage, and clear customs. Don't worry about this, just do it and buy tickets for the next available train.

After you clear customs, follow the signs to the airport train station. Here you can buy tickets for the next Leonardo Express train, which goes directly to Roma Termini. I believe it leaves on the :07 and :37 each hour, costs about 11 euros and takes about 30 minutes. With this knowledge you can also book the train from Roma Termini to Florence while at the airport train station. You will need about 15 minutes to find your train connection to Florence at Roma Termini.

If you have the time, you could buy ALL your tickets for ALL your train travel while at the airport train station, made easier if you present your schedule printouts to the ticketseller. Or you might wait until you arrive in Florence to book the other ones when you're more relaxed after your arrival day.

The fastest trains are ES. I find second class comfortable enough, especially for Rome to Florence which is only 90 minutes. Some would suggest choosing first class for your longer trip, Venice to Rome, which is 4.5 hours. It's up to you.

Old May 28th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all of that information!! I definitely would like the option to book the ES or first class. Are these sometimes sold out on the day-of? it is better to pre-book?

Also are the ES trains faster?

Lastly I noticed other posts talking about Amica for discounted fares. Is this worth it or easy to use?

I wouldn't mind booking ahead of time especially if it would save $$ but I do worry how to get your actual ticket once you arrive (if you buy online)

Thank you again!!
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Sorry you did say the ES are faster; still not sure about booking via Amica, and getting tickets there if we do book online.
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

ok i followed your advice again (thank you!!) and found this info on the link you gave me.
It sounds like buying online ticketless is the easiest option.

What is the hang up people usually have booking on train italia that you mentioned? Anyone have any feedback on doing it this way?

"On the Web
Train tickets can be bought on the web from the Trenitalia website. Tickets are the same price as you would pay at ticket offices at the train stations. The Trenitalia website has an English-language version.

The best way to purchase tickets in advance on Intercity, Intercity plus and Eurostar Italia trains is the Ticketless service on the Trenitalia website. It works just like the ticketing system of most low-cost airlines - you don't receive a regular ticket but just a reservation code number.

During the online ticket purchase, select the "Ticketless" option. You receive an e-mail that gives you both the reservation information (train, car and seat number, and hour of departure from the station of your choice) and a code (PNR). Print the e-mail and take it with you. When boarding the train go to your reserved seat and wait for the conductor. When he arrives, show him the e-mail with the data. You will be issued a receipt that is the actual ticket.

This service from Trenitalia does not have any extra fees. If you are in Italy, you can also ask to receive a free SMS on your cell phone, to use as a backup in case you lose the e-mail printout. If you are abroad, I suggest writing down the essential data before departure (add the reservation code, CP), or having a second copy of the printout stashed in your bag, as a backup.

You can also use the Trenitalia website to buy a regular ticket (not "ticketless&quot which you will have to collect from the ticket vending machines at the stations (the big yellow ones, not the smaller light blue ones) or from the stations' ticket offices.

In case you can't navigate the Trenitalia site, there are international services that sell train tickets for Europe, like RailEurope. These may be easier to use, but they sell the tickets with extra fees (up to 50% of the ticket real price), so I suggest using them only if you really can't use the Trenitalia site and are traveling in a "high season", so need tickets in advance.

"
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:30 PM

Amica is a choice you make when booking a ticket the regular way. It is a 20% discount and is offered for a limited number of seats. Here's the page at the Trenitalia site that explains it:

http://www.trenitalia.it/en/promozio...ffa_amica.html

If you plug one of your trips into the Trenitalia site, you'll see a variety of trains and times. Note the different trip durations to see which train have the least stops. Just to get the idea of the cost for various types of tickets, click on BUY shopping cart to see the choices for prices for the different classes. This is where you would Choose your rate, "Amica" or "Standard" fare, and specify what class of seat you want.

It's conceivable that a train could be sold out, but your routes have frequent service. I'd expect you could take another train an hour or so later.

If you buy online you don't need a ticket. You receive a reservation number by email which you must bring with you.

You would not be able to purchase an Amica fare on the same day of travel--they are only available until midnight of the day before travel. I've gotten Amica fares by booking a few days ahead.

An example:
ES 2nd class Rome>Florence
standard is 36.10 euros
amica is 28.90 euros

Old May 28th, 2008, 06:30 PM

ellenem-- thanks for the first site you gave. I read the tickets in Italian and now about seating and all. Very imformative site.

What is main difference between 1st and 2nd class as we are going from Milan to Venice and then Venice to Rome. Should we book first class all way?

I too wonder about ES vs. Amica. Isn't ES the train speed and Amica the 20% off fare for ANY train?
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:34 PM

Many people spend hours and days trying to get the Trenitalia site to send them a password and accept their payment. Hours and days. You can do a search for threads here and found the reports of many disgruntled users. I've been to Italy more than 20 times and have never purchased a train ticket before I arrived there, and can't remember not being able to take the train I wanted.

A few trains were pretty crowded . . . but that's another issue. Also all ES tickets come with a reserved seat, so if you have a ticket you have a seat, unlike some of the slower trains.
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:37 PM

I know the Trentitalia site has not been working properly. I am going to land and buy all my train tickets in Milan, for the trips I need.

Can you take the ES train on Amica fare?
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:42 PM

Yes, Amica is a fare discount on many trains--see previous link. ES is a type of train.

In my experience, 2nd class on an ES train is more comfortable than coach on an airplane. I find it perfectly adequate and would rather save my money for other things. For example, ES 1st class Rome>Florence is 51.30 euros compared to 36.10 euros for second class. For a trip of 90 minutes, I have better ways to spend 15.20 euros--on lunch!

1st class has a bit more room for you and your luggage (though I think there's plenty luggage room in 2nd) and it's a little less crowded since there are fewer seat and fewer people because of the cost.

On the other hand, for an IC train, I would book 1st class since these trains are a totally different situation. However, for ssc2229's routes, ES would be the best choice.
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:48 PM

I've always booked 2nd and never had problem. Thanks for explanation but I think sticking with 2nd and saving as you mentioned is what we will all do.
Old May 31st, 2008, 06:26 AM

hi ellenm,
just wondering what the difference is between the ES and the IC. we booked first class IC Plus tickets from rome to salerno, which were basically the same price as eurostar 2nd class tickets.

we never traveled by train in rome, but will be buying more train tickets once we get there.

thanks!
dina
Old May 31st, 2008, 07:59 AM

ES, ICplus, and IC are all different from one another. Here's a link to the particular page at Slowtravel that discusses the differences in detail:

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/trains/service.htm

Basic differences: IC and ICplus make more stops than ES trains. Their tickets do not come with seat assignments but a separate seat reservation can be made on a particular IC train for a small additional fee. Without a reserved seat, you can use your ticket for any train on that route, but will have to search for a seat.

Some IC trains are the older style, with a hallway to one side and separate cabins with seats for six people. Others have a center aisle with all the seats to either side, like the ES. When I travel on IC, I prefer to pay for 1st class, since 2nd class can be very crowded at times. (This is also why 1st class IC costs about the same as 2nd class ES.) If it's a trip of more than 30 minutes, I reserve a seat so I know I won't be stuck standing in the hall. Before the ES came into being a dozen or so years ago, IC was the fastest train.

ALL ES tickets come with seat reservations automatically--while it might be a crowded train, you are guaranteed your seat. Your ticket is only good for that particular train. It costs more because it makes less stops.
Old May 31st, 2008, 08:06 AM

thanks so much, ellen.

i'm not sure if we got seat reservations on the ic plus, because the rome amex office bought them for us. guess we'll find out when we pick them up. sounds like i made the right choice, though.

the ic plus seems to be as fast as the ES, though, according to the trenitalia time schedule, so that's good.

thanks again.

Old May 31st, 2008, 08:09 AM

i believe ICp or plus trains do require reservations - i used a railpass on several of them and they did. www.bahn.de will indicate which trains are 'subject to compulsory reservation' and some IC trains are so noted (these are actually ICp trains - IC do not require reservations which are optional.

IC trains and ES trains may also take different routings between two cities - IC on the older classic line at times and ES on new all-built high-speed lines.

For example Rome-Florence some IC trains take the old route via Orvieto, Chiusi, Arrezzo and stop at these stations whilst the ES trains blast non-stop Rome-Florence mainly on the new high-speed line that avoids towns largely.